Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 01:21 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times

Advertisements

How did you manage to get a Loan to buy a home you clearly said you cant afford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 01:29 AM

11 posts, read 12,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
How did you manage to get a Loan to buy a home you clearly said you cant afford?
Banks are dumb. I make $50,000 a year and they let me buy a $250,000 house. What can I say?

Could I afford it? I mean technically, yeah, I would have to sell my car. Never go out to eat. Eat ramen, cut my cable, and do not recreational activities at all other than staring at trees in free parks.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,055,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryExcelsior View Post
My utilities are about $700 a month. I pay all the utilities. Since they allow "one roomer" could I technically just have one person pay me rent, and then the other two split the utilities every month since utilities are NOT rent?

That would allow me to still get enough money to stay in the home. I would technically then only have 1 roomer, but 2 others not paying rent per se. Which would be 4 unrelated people living in a home, which is legal.

ahhhh...now this makes sense!! You bought a house you couldn't afford and you're hoping by renting out rooms you'll have enough 'income' to afford it.

Didn't you do some basic research before you bought the house? Just about ever city, town, village has laws like these in place and they're in place for a reason. Good luck trying to work around them.

And no you can't do what you stated above....the other two 'non renters' are still considered 'tenants' by law.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Banks are dumb. I make $50,000 a year and they let me buy a $250,000 house. What can I say?

Could I afford it? I mean technically, yeah, I would have to sell my car. Never go out to eat. Eat ramen, cut my cable, and do not recreational activities at all other than staring at trees in free parks.

the banks are dumb? Really? You took out a loan that you knew you couldn't afford and they're the dumb ones?

Your best option is to sell that house and sell it quickly. You won't be able to run your boarding house, flop house, apts, or whatever it is you're trying to do...so sell before you find yourself in deep financial ruin.

Just an FYI: if you do file bankruptcy and foreclosure, you won't be renting anything close to 'decent' for a long, long, long time. Think about it.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:15 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,497,791 times
it is seriously time for renters and property owners to unite for property rights, and a stop to this class warfare and social engineering.

and for compensation for economic damages.

depending on government to dole out property rights never works out well for renters and the poor.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
the banks are dumb? Really? You took out a loan that you knew you couldn't afford and they're the dumb ones?

Your best option is to sell that house and sell it quickly. You won't be able to run your boarding house, flop house, apts, or whatever it is you're trying to do...so sell before you find yourself in deep financial ruin.

Just an FYI: if you do file bankruptcy and foreclosure, you won't be renting anything close to 'decent' for a long, long, long time. Think about it.

The Rent is 2 damn High - brought to you by government-created artificial housing shortages.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:28 AM

45,484 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
So how am I supposed to kick these poor guys out? I don't want them to say GTFO, that isn't fair to them. And legally I can't even do that, they are due their tenant rights. Two of them even lived with me at my old house in the same city where we lived for YEARS. They just have to pick up and leave in one day? That's not fair to anybody.

This whole thing is really sad that if you don't have a family, they make it more difficult for you to live in a nice community. It SHOULD be discrimination on ones lifestyle. There is absolutely no reason a bunch of friends shouldn't be able to live in a community like a family would. No reason at all. For some reason in this country suburban homes seem to mean you HAVE to be a family, it's ridiculous.

If you're in violation of zoning, and it appears you are, then any lease, written, verbal or implied, you have with your tenants (and that's what they are) is void.

As to penalties and enforcement? I don't know the specifics of where you are but here in Maryland fines for this type of violation can run up to $1000/day for each violation (4 roommates times $1000/day equals $4000/day) or a Court finding of condemnation making your house illegal for living. Enforced by the Courts and local law enforcement until you come into compliance.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you're in violation of zoning, and it appears you are, then any lease, written, verbal or implied, you have with your tenants (and that's what they are) is void.

As to penalties and enforcement? I don't know the specifics of where you are but here in Maryland fines for this type of violation can run up to $1000/day for each violation (4 roommates times $1000/day equals $4000/day) or a Court finding of condemnation making your house illegal for living. Enforced by the Courts and local law enforcement until you come into compliance.

Ve haf vays of making you comply, ja!

Old 12-11-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The Rent is 2 damn High - brought to you by government-created artificial housing shortages.
There isn't a housing shortage...there's a common sense shortage.

Nothing is stopping you from increasing your income and moving to a larger, nicer home. I have no problem paying my rent nor do millions of other tenants in this country. It's only the entitled ones that seem to complain the loudest. Get a job.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:32 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,809,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
There isn't a housing shortage...there's a common sense shortage.

Nothing is stopping you from increasing your income and moving to a larger, nicer home. I have no problem paying my rent nor do millions of other tenants in this country. It's only the entitled ones that seem to complain the loudest. Get a job.
Just because YOU are not in a bad situation doesn't mean that there are others who are not. Many people in this country have financial difficulty and it's not because they are lazy or irresponsible.

I do not agree at all with the people who sit at home and live off my dime, but I DO have enough of that common sense you were talking about to realize that there are some who are legitimately struggling and need help getting back on their feet. Get off your high horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting