Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 05:41 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,614 times

Advertisements

Hi City-Data,

I'm interested in renting a room in an area where there are way more prospective tenants than there are apartments available. So much so that landlords hold interviews to pick out prospective tenants, as though they were hiring for a job. I know of a place that got 91 applicants for two open rooms. I was lucky to be one of the 16 to be brought in for a group interview.

The landlord offering this house decided to drop the rental price by 25% since I first saw the listing. Should I be happy about this? Or should I be afraid that they discovered pests, mold, or structural problems with the building? The reason they gave was to make the "price more fair".

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 09:07 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Strange ... They usually Drop when they cant get applicants.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:02 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
They didn't have anyone they wanted who would pay what they wanted. That's the only reason to lower the price.

As a former apt manager, you will get people willing to pay a higher price who would never qualify. They're desperate to find anything. So, they may have had a bunch of bad applicants who showed up hoping to get into anything.

But, the only reason a landlord would lower a price, is because they couldn't rent it to a good renter at the price they advertised.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:03 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Hi City-Data,

I'm interested in renting a room in an area where there are way more prospective tenants than there are apartments available. So much so that landlords hold interviews to pick out prospective tenants, as though they were hiring for a job. I know of a place that got 91 applicants for two open rooms. I was lucky to be one of the 16 to be brought in for a group interview.

The landlord offering this house decided to drop the rental price by 25% since I first saw the listing. Should I be happy about this? Or should I be afraid that they discovered pests, mold, or structural problems with the building? The reason they gave was to make the "price more fair".

What do you think?
I think they are "Feeling The Bern"

Old 02-21-2016, 05:02 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Hi City-Data,

What do you think?
IT does seem suspect. But it may not be. I was looking for a roommate and on Craigslist he was asking $500 and when I got there he said it was $400. Maybe he saw I was a good person and he wasn't looking to make a killing, he had inherited the house and was just looking to get help with the taxes and insurance. He had to evict the current roommate so it did not work out, but ti does not mean it's a scam but it should raise red flags.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
It means he can't find anyone willing to pay the higher amount and that could be for any number of reasons. By lower the price he's opening himself up to a less than desirable tenant.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Hi City-Data,

What do you think?
It doesn't make sense to drop the price for no reason in a competitive area like you say with people willing to pay it. Then again perhaps he saw that you are a decent person who is willing to provide stable proof of employment etc.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:19 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,614 times
Actually the lower price was not offered exclusively to me.

The landlord lowered the listing price from $900 to $700. I can't seem to imagine how they weren't able to find a tenant to pay $900 in this rapidly gentrifying area.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:52 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:

The landlord lowered the listing price from $900 to $700. I can't seem to imagine how they weren't able to find a tenant to pay $900 in this rapidly gentrifying area.

exactly! So make sure you check the landlord and the unit very carefully.

However, I can't imagine paying either amount for a room in someone's house. If you can afford those prices, you can afford a single and maybe a two bedroom with a roommate. There's no way I'd ever rent a room in someone's house beyond a B&B and a long weekend.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:25 AM

Quote:

Maybe it's an older unit, maybe it's too small for some people, outdated appliances, bad area, bad neighbors that you didn't see, but others did or know about. If it's up and coming maybe they overshot on the price and could not get any decent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting