Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 12:33 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? I never said it was "so easy to buy multiple properties". Tens of millions of Americans have never been able to buy a home and never will be able to buy a home. What can we do if we can't buy? Earlier I asked, how can 1,000 people pooling $1,000 each buy rental property(s) - nobody has answered that.
Go back where you asked that question Because it was talked about it. You not reading your own thread. Maybe this is why you keep asking the same questions over & over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 12:38 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Quote:
What if government doesn't allow the sale of anything I can afford to buy?
This too was Answered

Old 04-26-2016, 12:50 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
I want my rented home to be taxed at the same rate as the owner-occupied home next door; not at a higher rate. I consider a higher rate on rented homes regressive, an unconscionable government penalty for not being able to buy a home, and one of the diseconomies of poverty. The 'extra' property tax is money government takes off the table and therefore is money which I cannot negotiate with my landlord. (Landlords will pocket the money anyway if it not taxed, but I don't hold the liberal position that government can spend the money better.)

And doesn't it depend on the definition of "rental property" for the tax? If I have a vacant rental property, what's to stop me from calling it a second home and paying the lower Class II rate? Or I have a second home and later decide to rent it out. When does the higher tax kick in?
I thought you wanted commercial property to be taxed higher than primary residences. Rental properties ARE commercial property.

Read the information again.A second home pays double. The higher rate is for all properties that are not primary residences. So that vacation property, second home, or any combination of the above is taxed the same. The definition matters not at all.

You are not being penalized for not being able to buy a home. In fact, there's nothing, expect your own lack of success, that stops you from buying a home at all, despite your constant whining about it.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:52 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Why should my rented home be taxed at a higher rate than the owner-occupied home next door? Is it my fault I don't own it? If it is not my fault I don't own it, shouldn't I be entitled to either equal taxation or a rebate of the extra tax?
Quite simply, yes.

Cue the excuses........

Old 04-26-2016, 01:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I thought you wanted commercial property to be taxed higher than primary residences. Rental properties ARE commercial property.

Read the information again.A second home pays double. The higher rate is for all properties that are not primary residences. So that vacation property, second home, or any combination of the above is taxed the same. The definition matters not at all.

You are not being penalized for not being able to buy a home. In fact, there's nothing, expect your own lack of success, that stops you from buying a home at all, despite your constant whining about it.

I have a simple standard, which I base on the Michigan standard for a homestead exemption. If you own your home and it is your primary residence on January 1 (and you timely file the right form), your home is exempt from the nonhomestead tax. I would apply the "primary residence rule" to rental property as well; if you own a rental property and it is occupied as the renter's primary residence on January 1, it should get the same tax rate as an owner's primary residence. (Landlord and tenant would each sign a sworn statement, as homeowners do.) Vacant dwellings and property not occupied as a primary residence should be taxed at a higher rate.

Here's something that has bugged me for years, and why haven't the "voter fraud" watchdogs jumped on this? Snowbirds are common in Michigan and other frigid Northern climes. What's to stop a homeowner from claiming a homestead exemption in Florida (or AZ etc) AND in Michigan (or WI etc)? Or from voting in both states? Does anyone check?

Old 04-26-2016, 04:22 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
What if government doesn't allow the sale of anything I can afford to buy?
The city of Portland Oregon not only allows tiny house, they do not charge systems development fees for them, a savings of about $12,000.

There was a tiny home (used) in the Salem Craigslist for $5,000. I'm sympathetic that you can't come up with that much cash, but I really don't think it is the government's fault.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The city of Portland Oregon not only allows tiny house, they do not charge systems development fees for them, a savings of about $12,000.

There was a tiny home (used) in the Salem Craigslist for $5,000. I'm sympathetic that you can't come up with that much cash, but I really don't think it is the government's fault.

$5,000 might be doable, I'm intrigued. There's someone on the Portland CL looking to pay $400 for a SPACE on which to put his tiny home-on-wheels. How does the zoning work for tiny houses? The widely-reviled so-called "skinny houses" are on 5,000 sq ft lots.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Quite simply, yes.

Cue the excuses........

Okay, try this. Junior lives with mommy and daddy for 18 years and then moves into his own pad. Is it his fault he doesn't own it?

Old 04-26-2016, 11:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Okay, try this. Junior lives with mommy and daddy for 18 years and then moves into his own pad. Is it his fault he doesn't own it?
Are you 18?

Old 04-27-2016, 12:13 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
$5,000 might be doable, I'm intrigued. There's someone on the Portland CL looking to pay $400 for a SPACE on which to put his tiny home-on-wheels. How does the zoning work for tiny houses? The widely-reviled so-called "skinny houses" are on 5,000 sq ft lots.
I could tell you how it works in my town, but for Portland, I just saw a special on the news about a tiny houses exhibition show and that the city of Portland was extending the waiver of development fees for the tiny houses for an additional time period.

You are going to have to contact the building permit people and ask them. If they are waiving fees, then they obviously have some sort of zoning that allows them, and it is a pretty safe bet that they are trying to encourage them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting