Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:52 AM

90 posts, read 203,095 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a property located in Sun City, AZ.
The rent hasn't been raised in about 3 years. We have a section 8 renter in there.
How do we go about getting the rent raised to market value?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 10:23 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Contact the Section 8 case worker and discuss it with them but it has to be approved. Section 8 sets the market rate so you may be unable to get an increase. Sun City is the worst place to have rentals, good luck.

You could also try kicking them out and putting it on the market but you need to be careful with the vacancy rate which can be really high in Sun City.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:24 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Send them a 60 day notice that you are raising the rent & the raise starts when they sign the new lease.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Send them a 60 day notice that you are raising the rent & the raise starts when they sign the new lease.
You can't do that with S8 tenants. S8 rent increases have to be approved by your states HUD office before you can demand an increase from your tenants. They set market value and they set what portion the tenant has to pay.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:04 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Really?? I have been on Section 8 for 8-9 years. My LL has raised the rent Several Times. HUD only found out about the raises when I take the papers to them upon going thru my Yearly renewals. I was given 3 chooses this last time. 1 Pay the difference out of my pocket2 Move 3 talk the LL into lowering my rent. Moving was out of the question since I didn't have Full 1st months rent nor Deposit. LL wasn't going to budge... didn't care he just rent to some one that could afford the rent. $51 extra out of pocket was doable IF I didn't need extras like a$$ wipes soap shampoo laundry etc.

So NO LL Don't need permission to raise the rent.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:33 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
OP, you send a notice of rent increase to both the tenant ans the case worker. With Section 8, you should do a small increase every year because they will turn down a large increase, but might accept a small one.. The case worker will approve the raise or not, and if Section 8 says they won't pay it, you have to either accept what you are getting or kick the tenant out and try again.

Just one more reason that so many landlords will not take Section 8. The housing authority has too much power and it abuses its power.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:45 PM

The rental is managed through a property management company (which by the way is a complete waste of space).
Is it very hard to just get rid of the tenant in the first place? We would prefer to switch to a different property management and a non section 8 tenant.
Taking a loss on the rental just because section 8 won't approve a rate increase is not acceptable. The tenant is lucky the rent hasn't been raised in about 3 years!

Old 05-10-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thesport View Post
The rental is managed through a property management company (which by the way is a complete waste of space).
Is it very hard to just get rid of the tenant in the first place? We would prefer to switch to a different property management and a non section 8 tenant.
Taking a loss on the rental just because section 8 won't approve a rate increase is not acceptable. The tenant is lucky the rent hasn't been raised in about 3 years!
They are all a waste of money. You pay them because you aren't close enough to manage the property yourself. It is surprising that you would use one in Sun City though. The HOAs manage the landscaping so all your manager is doing is scheduling workers and taking rent which you can do both from another state.

It is a mistake to think that you are taking a loss, turnovers are costly and so are vacancies. You have a rental in an age restricted city so your tenant pool is tiny and to make it worse you are coming into the summer months.

Your best option is to do an exchange and get a property closer to your location or sell it and take the hit on gains.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
They are all a waste of money. You pay them because you aren't close enough to manage the property yourself. It is surprising that you would use one in Sun City though. The HOAs manage the landscaping so all your manager is doing is scheduling workers and taking rent which you can do both from another state.

It is a mistake to think that you are taking a loss, turnovers are costly and so are vacancies. You have a rental in an age restricted city so your tenant pool is tiny and to make it worse you are coming into the summer months.

Your best option is to do an exchange and get a property closer to your location or sell it and take the hit on gains.
Yes, well that's not how we imagined it to work out. We originally purchased the home for my parents and then they decided to move. So we have been renting it ever since. We thought we would try Section 8, had no idea it would be this cumbersome.

I was able to finally get through to the housing authority. Found out that our property management company has only submitted paperwork for a rent increase just this April and no record of them ever doing it in the past. So we are making a case to throw that company to the curb. I am going to have my cousin who lives there locally be my agent to handle the property going forward.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Really?? I have been on Section 8 for 8-9 years. My LL has raised the rent Several Times. HUD only found out about the raises when I take the papers to them upon going thru my Yearly renewals. I was given 3 chooses this last time. 1 Pay the difference out of my pocket2 Move 3 talk the LL into lowering my rent. Moving was out of the question since I didn't have Full 1st months rent nor Deposit. LL wasn't going to budge... didn't care he just rent to some one that could afford the rent. $51 extra out of pocket was doable IF I didn't need extras like a$$ wipes soap shampoo laundry etc.

So NO LL Don't need permission to raise the rent.
Hi Katie,

Also, FYI on the Section 8 paperwork that the landlord has to sign for their rental property it clearly states in large letters about fraud.

Some examples of fraud involving owner/managers identified by the IG’s investigation included:

Requiring extra “side” payments in excess of the family’s share of the rent.
  1. As you know, any payment in excess of the rent mustreceive prior approval by us.
  2. Collecting assistance payments for units not occupied by Section 8 tenants.
  3. Bribing PHA employees to certify substandard units as standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting