Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:58 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
My Landlord takes my trash out, so...
WHY? I am H/C I take out my own trash...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 06:29 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soso694 View Post
Because I was busy and only given a days notice. My clothes being on the floor and a full trash bin that was seen after one short visit does not violate the lease nor building code so it isn't their business. This is overstepping boundaries and I'm sure they're just frustrated because they had to show my unit like that.

Haven't gotten a reply to my email from them about what specifically violated the lease or code yet, so I'm guessing they're in agreement.

They gave you legal notice and you had plenty of time to take out the trash and clean up your clothes. Yeah, they are ticked that your unit looked like it did.

Did you actually read the lease? You can guess whatever you want to guess but I suggest you clean your unit before the come back week.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:31 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
WHY? I am H/C I take out my own trash...

A lot of places around here have valet trash service. You put your bags in a bin outside your door and they pick it up. They also maintain and clean the bins. The downside is the bins they use only hold one tall kitchen bag, but it works well.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:39 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Kim you are taking out your trash. You are putting it outside your apt where they told you to. My bosses apt when she lived down town the trash went in a bin in the hall. On Trash day the maintenance man clean out the bins & put the trash on the street.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:56 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,412,200 times
Default my thoughts...

Quote:
I received this email today:

"When showing the apartment this past week it came to our attention that you need to take all the garbage out and clean the apartment. The conditon the apartment is in at this time attracts insects which can easily spread to other apartments. It is your responsilbility to take care of the apartment in such a manner to not attract bugs and vermin to the building. Garbage should be taken out on a regular basis and not left in the apartment. Surfaces need to be kept wiped down. We will be checking the apartment next week.

Thank you"

I'm a little annoyed by this because I think the PMC rep who showed my apartment was just annoyed that it wasn't spiffy for the showing (would have helped them out if they had told me earlier). My apartment isn't dirty at all. My garbage, which i had not taken out yet but planned on later, was full at the time when they showed it. It didn't even stink and I literally took it out that night. I also had piles of clothes on the floor in my bedroom (which, though super unorganized and an eyesore, is not "dirty" and does not attract vermin). This was temporary as I was organizing them for the summer.

I will clean and make my apartment "show-ready" for them next time, but just so we're clear, what legally constitutes as a "clean" vs "dirty" apartment? If I'm violating code by leaving days-old food out or unwashed dishes in the sink, or my garbage full for the entire week and not just the 15 minutes that they came and saw my garbage, I'd understand. But I wouldn't think anything that's simply aesthetically unappealing like clothes on the floor should matter? They mention surfaces should be wiped down in their email, but my tables and counters are clean, especially since I wiped them two days ago.

Thoughts? I'm open to all opinions, but please be respectful!
I'd start a rather large Spring cleaning project about 2 hours before they showed up...that otta get her panties in a twist. Pull a 'Lucy' on her... and have a wonderful day using lots and lots of full strength bleach..
Koale

Old 05-28-2016, 11:20 AM

41 posts, read 46,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
They gave you legal notice and you had plenty of time to take out the trash and clean up your clothes. Yeah, they are ticked that your unit looked like it did.

Did you actually read the lease? You can guess whatever you want to guess but I suggest you clean your unit before the come back week.
I just told you it didn't violate the lease, so yes. I read it. I'm only going to do what the lease and building code requires of me. My piles of clothes were on the floor for a reason.
If my place attracts vermin as they say, they need to be more specific, otherwise it's not a legal notice, but an email from someone ticked off about showing my unorganized apartment. I asked nicely for specificity and didn't get a reply back.

Last edited by soso694; 05-28-2016 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-28-2016, 11:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
No reply yet =/= agreement. It's memorial day weekend. I doubt you'll get an email.

Quote:
I just told you it didn't violate the lease, so yes. I read it. I'm only going to do what the lease and building code requires of me. My piles of clothes were on the floor for a reason.
If my place attracts vermin as they say, they need to be more specific, otherwise it's not a legal notice, but an email from someone ticked off about showing my organized apartment. I asked nicely for specificity and didn't get a reply back.
It really sounds like you're just angry because you feel called out, and now you're gearing up for an unnecessary fight. They made it really clear what is expected:

Quote:
Garbage should be taken out on a regular basis and not left in the apartment. Surfaces need to be kept wiped down.
So just do that.

Instead of posting here, finish the clothes organizing project, and you'll be ready for next time.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:42 AM

This doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's a huge red flag to me when someone uses "lease violating" language for something that didn't violate the lease. And then ignores my email asking if there was a violation.

Had to come here to double-check if there's any legal grounds for apartments being unorganized/an eyesore during showings that I don't know about.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

So just do that.

Instead of posting here, finish the clothes organizing project, and you'll be ready for next time.
Okay. It's been done (though reminding me of a full trash bin off of one visit is overkill to me.)
My clothes are going to be like that through the middle of June before I travel though, so I hope I still don't get any emails over that.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:47 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
This doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's a huge red flag to me when someone uses "lease violating" language for something that didn't violate the lease. And then ignores my email asking if there was a violation.

Had to come here to double-check if there's any legal grounds for apartments being unorganized/an eyesore during showings that I don't know about.
To be clear, you aren't even sure yet if it did violate the lease. Have you read your lease lately? All that matters is what YOUR lease says, since they are all different. Coming here to ask doesn't clarify anything.

You should have a copy of your lease. Read it and see what it says.

It stings when you get a letter like that. Take what you can from it and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting