Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:48 PM

38 posts, read 96,698 times

Advertisements

It cost roughly only about $2 per applicant to run a history check. Most software will give you 25 searches for about $25

I truly think application fees is a rip off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Buy a home that way there are no more application fees.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Buy a home that way there are no more application fees.
uhm NO ., Funny LL's complain about high gas but they are charging outrageous app fees. Guess it work both ways

Old 02-14-2014, 08:30 PM

113 posts, read 175,262 times
how much app fees did LL charge you?

the details credit check with criminal background and eviction will cost $39. please go to online tenant screening sites and check for your self.

If you are LL why would you not do it? if I say there is no app fee then hundreds will apply and of course they lie too.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:53 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogger View Post
It cost roughly only about $2 per applicant to run a history check. Most software will give you 25 searches for about $25

What about the time and payment for the employee that we have to pay for....you think salaries are tax free?

My employee and I may pay for your benefits...and if you don't get free government money than someone else will get it and it is not free someone is paying it and your application fee may be one of the few items that contributes to someone else's salary....

You probably never thought what else is done with an application...;

- submit it
- review the results
- discuss the results with owner by phone or email.
- return to the applicant by either phone or email or in person (which sometimes takes a long time since some tenants have lots of questions)
- printing and cost of paper to provide the application and results on
- saving the application for a minimum of 5 years.
Etc.

Do you still think it is expensive!!, if so than buy a home but I assume you will not have a high enough credit score...I wonder why...

Old 02-14-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What about the time and payment for the employee that we have to pay for....you think salaries are tax free?

My employee and I may pay for your benefits...and if you don't get free government money than someone else will get it and it is not free someone is paying it and your application fee may be one of the few items that contributes to someone else's salary....

You probably never thought what else is done with an application...;

- submit it
- review the results
- discuss the results with owner by phone or email.
- return to the applicant by either phone or email or in person (which sometimes takes a long time since some tenants have lots of questions)
- printing and cost of paper to provide the application and results on
- saving the application for a minimum of 5 years.
Etc.

Do you still think it is expensive!!, if so than buy a home but I assume you will not have a high enough credit score...I wonder why...
That shouldnt be the tenant problem. Why do tenants have to pay a fee so that we can stuff your pockets and pay your mortgage each month

All the above stuff you do is cost of business and a write off to be technical

Old 02-14-2014, 10:21 PM

113 posts, read 175,262 times
roadhogger,

tell us whats your problem is and what kind of issues you ran into? I asked you how much fee was charged for you app?

i want to learn from other LL mistakes and try to be a good LL. whatever you say will not change the system. it is what it is.
if you dont want to pay fee then buy a house. otherwise suck it up man. even apartments will ask for security deposit, application fee etc. They dont even run credit check most of the time as manager will take the risk to get more bonus by grabbing $50 app fee. But tenants are more protected by laws if you follow. for most LLs they want to make sure the property is in safe hands and also prospective tenants can pay their rent. after all its business. Also there are Tenants who are willing to pay fee as they genuinely believe they can be a great tenant by the +ve history they have developed. so it is fair to charge app fee. I will refund app fee if I select the application to rent my property.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:41 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,898 times
It costs more than that, we ran backgrounds on people we rent to, I think we charge $30/person and it costs us at least $20 out of pocket, that doesn't include calling references and checking that addresses listed actually exist, etc.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:42 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogger View Post

My you're a busy little poster aren't you?

What it costs and what they charge are two different things....you claim to know about business and how it works....that's how business works. If you don't the prices their charging, dont' apply to their rentals

I find that those that complain about fees are the ones who can't get approved because they have judgments and/or evictions on the record or are having issues with their current landlord (like being 2mths behind and trying to get out of paying the fees)

Be open and honest when applying and ask them if they approve people like you...(owing money to previous landlord) if they say no or say I don't know you have to apply...go somewhere else.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:48 AM

I dont see how some of you say judgements you wont get apts or houses my girlfriend have a judgement and we never had a problem even renting a nice home in the suburb.

Most LL only care about if you have a job and can pay which that is what it should be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting