Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:36 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,710 times

Advertisements

I am able to see now that when I came to see the apartment that was advertised they showed me the apartment on the other side of the hallway instead of the one that was advertised. I;m guessing because it wasn't ready at the time?

So when I received the keys I was shocked because when I walked in I saw hardwood floors instead of carpet and the kitchen didn't have a white floor. For a split second I thought they gave me the keys to the wrong apartment because I clearly remember seeing a different place. So does that sort of thing happen often and they will show you another apartment to give you an idea of how the place looks?

I was debating on whether I wanted to accept it because of the carpet and white kitchen floor so it would have been nice if the guy actually told me that wasn't the place. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 06:08 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Not every apt is always going to be identical to other apts in the same building. We upgrade ours at different times with different aesthetics so no 2 apts are ever the exact same and not everyone cares about the exact same things or is that particular. It does not necessarily mean that they were trying to trick you or hide anything from you. I would think that even the appliances might be different (models and age) from the apt you were shown. We actually upgraded all of our units to wood flooring and removed all the carpet. Even though we are in a cold climate we found most people prefer the wood floors over carpet which is understandable for many reasons. I try to let potential renters know if something is drastically different in an apt that I am showing from the one they will be renting however, it is difficult to remember every little thing and I am sure that goes the same with other LLs/PMs.

I also let potential renters know if that is not the apt they will be renting. The only reason I may show another apt is if someone is still living in the one they will be renting and it may not be the best example or show-ready. So if I have a vacant apt I will show that to them and let them know if they want to see the actual apt that it is still being lived in I have no problem showing it to them also if they prefer. But for the most part I prefer showing vacant apts to potential tenants if one is available.

But overall, if your lease specifically states that it comes with carpet, white floors, etc then you would have a case but otherwise no.

I would recommend in the future that you always ask about specifics if you are that particular.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 05-27-2016 at 06:22 PM..

Old 05-27-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Not every apt is always going to be identical to other apts in the same building. We upgrade ours at different times with different aesthetics so no 2 apts are ever the exact same and not everyone cares about the exact same things or is that particular. It does not necessarily mean that they were trying to trick you or hide anything from you. I would think that even the appliances might be different (models and age) from the apt you were shown. We actually upgraded all of our units to wood flooring and removed all the carpet. Even though we are in a cold climate we found most people prefer the wood floors over carpet which is understandable for many reasons. I try to let potential renters know if something is drastically different in an apt that I am showing from the one they will be renting however, it is difficult to remember every little thing and I am sure that goes the same with other LLs/PMs.

I also let potential renters know if that is not the apt they will be renting. The only reason I may show another apt is if someone is still living in the one they will be renting and it may not be the best example or show-ready. So if I have a vacant apt I will show that to them and let them know if they want to see the actual apt that it is still being lived in and if they want to see it I have no problem showing it to them also.

But overall, if your lease specifically states that it comes with carpet, white floors, etc then you would have a case but otherwise no.

I would recommend in the future that you always ask about specifics if you are that particular.

This is my first time moving into a complex so the newness of the apartment was something I never seen before. My last two apartments were with private landlord and when I moved in there was nothing brand new like what I am seeing with this place. So it wasn't a bad surprise it was a good surprise and just threw me off for a minute. When I showed pictures of the apartment to my friend she said to me, "is that the best looking apartment you ever had?"

But yes I will make sure I ask in the future.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:42 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Well great, then it is a win-win for you. Enjoy!

Old 05-27-2016, 10:05 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
That's a pleasant surprise!

I've only lived in two apartment complexes in my life. Both showed a model unit to prospective renters. The first one, they showed me the exact unit just before I signed the lease. The one I'm currently in did not. They show a model unit with 2 bedrooms to everyone and do not show the actual unit before the lease begins. The model unit stays unoccupied strictly because it's a show unit. THere were a number of differences in my unit, and a surprise fireplace (great surprise!).

Enjoy your new home!

Old 05-28-2016, 08:21 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,251 times
Consider yourself lucky. In my experience, if you don't see what is going to be your unit, you generally get a BAD surprise. Thus why I will no longer sign a lease without touring the unit beforehand. It's just not worth signing over 12+ months and finding out that you're getting a POS.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Consider yourself lucky. In my experience, if you don't see what is going to be your unit, you generally get a BAD surprise. Thus why I will no longer sign a lease without touring the unit beforehand. It's just not worth signing over 12+ months and finding out that you're getting a POS.
I can imagine how frustrated you were after moving in and very shocked that a landlord or realty company would do something so slimy.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:57 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
yep! Happens all the time! They save one unit as the show unit and really the rest are POS!

Old 05-29-2016, 01:49 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,787 times
Happened to me in Brooklyn not too long ago. Ll made no mention of model apartment. I saved the pics from cal when I moved and realized some things were if from the actual apartment I'd moved in and what was advertised. Window placements, appliances etc different positions. He'd posted a picture of another apartment in the building but should have mentioned something in the ad . I never mentioned anything to him about it . The Craigslist ad looked very similar to the apartment he was showing. Down to earth yellow kitchen. I moved in and just happened to look at the Craigslist ad which was still up and not the same apartment. The advertised looked much better

Old 05-31-2016, 01:39 PM

110 posts, read 134,173 times
The first apartment i rented, they showed me a different unit than what I got. Of course the place I got wasn't as nice.
So this time around, I made sure that the place I was paying for was truly the place I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting