Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:34 PM

12,777 posts, read 14,987,827 times

Advertisements

Anyone heard of this for the main purpose of eliminating people not cleaning up after their pets (leaving pooh on the ground).

My apt complex is starting this effective today. For all dog owners, a DNA swab of all tenants' pets will be collected & stored & when pooh is left on the ground in the future, it will be traced back to the owner & the owner will be charged $110. I don't have a dog anymore, but back when I did, I cleaned up after mine, so I'd never have an issue w/ this anyway.

So, human rapes & murders go unsolved for decades often times, but they can track down the owners of their dog's poop real fast! This is where part of my high-ass rent is going towards...outrageous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 09:47 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
It'll come back as oj simpsons!!!

Old 08-23-2016, 06:28 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
One of the places I lived started doing this. I have no problem with it as most of these lazy azz tenants who let their giant dogs leave a huge pile do so at night when nobody can see them. I once tracked in dog poop on my shoe because I had groceries in my hand and couldn't take my shoes off at the door like I usually do.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
I fully support this.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:13 AM

762 posts, read 611,114 times
I'm a dog owner and think it's a good idea. I always pick up after my dog and it bothers me that people let their dogs off leash and/or don't pick up their crap. Hold people accountable.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:20 AM

OP back.

Don't get me wrong, I DO like this idea too. I have no choice or control about lowering my rent, so if this is partly what I'm paying for, so be it.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:50 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

So, human rapes & murders go unsolved for decades often times, but they can track down the owners of their dog's poop real fast!

Well, if we had DNA swabs on record of every person in the world, we'd likely solve more murders and rapes, too.

Oh, but wait....your apartment complex won't have DNA for every dog in the world, only those belonging to tenants. Is the problem in a gated area where only tenant animals have access to? I imagine they will find a lot of poop belonging to other neighborhood dogs.

I'm supporting of the plan, but don't think it will solve the problem.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:12 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
........So, human rapes & murders go unsolved for decades often times, but they can track down the owners of their dog's poop real fast!.........
Speaking as a landlord, I have very little opportunity to solve rapes and murders, nor do I have the authority to do so. I can, however, do my best to stop my tenants from leaving dog crap all over the grounds. I suspect that the only ones who object to this program are the ones who don't clean up after their own dog. Everyone else would be happy to have the grounds poop free.

I have to say though, veering wildly off topic, if I had the opportunity to pay $110 to stop rapists and murders through DNA testing, I might be happy to contribute to that program.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:22 PM

OP back.

Right, again I said above that I DO like this idea. I completely understand the need & desire to live in a place that one can call home & be proud of...it better be nice for the amount of rent we're paying & thankfully, my complex is also good & prompt when it comes to other issues, such as repairs being made promptly & adequately.

I'm pretty happy living here. The rent is very steep though & will just keep increasing annually no matter how hard someone tries to negotiate.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
I think it's a great idea, provided it doesn't increase the cost for tenants who clean up after their dogs (or don't have dogs). I've read about this for a while now. Our complex doesn't do it. I'm always seeing dog poop in the grass. We clean up after our dog.

WRT neighbor dogs, can't say I've seen any dogs that don't live here hanging out. Maybe they come while I'm working, but I kind of doubt it. We're not gated, but there are a ton of apartment complexes around here, and also a great park not that far away. I see more dogs at the park.

Quote:
Well, if we had DNA swabs on record of every person in the world, we'd likely solve more murders and rapes, too.
Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting