Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 09:39 AM

539 posts, read 567,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
You should let her in. That way, she will be your problem, and not attempt to apply for any of my places.
Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 09:42 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
You should let her in. That way, she will be your problem, and not attempt to apply for any of my places.
A credit check and routine background check would probably exclude her from any properties that require those kinds of things. I'm just trying to figure out how to get this lady some help without looking like a jerk. Believe it or not, where I live, they have cut the budget for things like emergency shelters and homeless needs. It's really not that easy for a single woman and her child to make it. Add to that the fact that this lady works from home and needs a reliable internet connection, and I'm not sure how to work this.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:49 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
No, I was planning to move into a two-bedroom. I'm sorry I guess I didn't mention that part.
So what happens when roommate can't pay one month? If she already has a history of non-payment, you know this will be coming down the pike....when this happens, you will be able to pay the entire rent of the 2-bedroom by yourself? That is what you will have to do. Again I think you'd be foolish to do this with anyone but those with a good track record, which this person doesn't have. And again, you don't really even like kids. Do you think the kid will be in her bedroom all day and night? No, again you will come home from work and they will be watching TV and you will feel like the visitor in your own place.

What happens when this woman starts bringing scrungy men over, or you come home and she's stoned or drunk? If she's on the lease, you can't do a thing about it. The guys she brings over could rob you blind before you know what happened, or even worse.

You know NOTHING about this person except that the landlord before you wanted them gone bad enough to spend hundreds or thousands to evict her. What on earth are you thinking?

It doesn't matter anyway, with her financial background the complex is never going to approve her anyway. I feel you are ripe for taking advantage of.

Your own life is a mess, fix yours before you start taking on projects.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:52 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:
I'm willing to accept that her story is fishy, but I'm still looking for a roommate, and I don't like all of the scams on Craigslist. Are there any better sites for finding roommates? I don't want it to scare me off; you can find bad people in all situations, but I feel like CL is wasting my time with scams and sob stories.
Most sensible thing you have posted on this topic

Old 10-30-2016, 11:12 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Your own life is a mess, fix yours before you start taking on projects.
truth

Old 10-30-2016, 11:37 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Eviction is the end of a long drawn out and expensive process in San Francisco.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
...because I'm torn between that and ignoring my conscience...

Why do you feel that you need to be the savior/rescuer? Us this woman in some romantic type relationship with you ? Hey there are a lot of people out there who need help. You're making HER problem YOUR problem.

I have a feeling if you bring this person in your house, your future pistvwill be titled "I tried to help a homeless woman by giving her a place to live but she doesnt pay rent and wrecked my house. HELP me"

Old 10-30-2016, 03:11 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Why are you ignoring your instincts and gut feelings? They are trying to tell you something.
Right. Go with your gut. It seems like the woman and her child are in need of assistance (and I'd even be possibly willed to think about helping out in this way IF she wasn't going to be in the house all day since she "works from home" . . . sorry, but that's a huge "NO" for me), and while it would be nice to help them out, you can't save/help everyone. As someone else mentioned, there are social services available. Are these services ideal? No, but they will/can help the woman get on her feet.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:22 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
What could possibly go wrong?

The only thing you need to think of is, what if she moves in and it doesnt work out (which is wont), and she wont move out? What then?

Dont care more about her situation than she does. If the house was being sold, she had plenty of time to find another place. If she didnt, its not your problem. Help her find a place for herself, but dont make her problem yours. Read this forum about all the people who have been stuck with nightmare roommates, and couldnt get them out. You'll be very sorry you did this.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:57 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
HUD!!! Take her to the Nearest HUD office. They will go by her income. Take her to the Nearest Woman Shelter... they too can help her.

Feeling sorry for someone is NOT a good reason to rent to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting