Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:45 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,407 times

Advertisements

No I just know how the world works and I try to protect myself from being taken advantage of. In the end the landlord always gets exactly what he is due from me and I get peace of mind that any damages to me will be mitigated if he does try to rip me off, which I have seen others experience. I am not talking bad about landlords; in my case if they act appropriately they will have last NO money b/c there is NO damage in the apartment. And I have rented for a much longer period of time then you have. Look, bottom line is a landlord in my state with any experience knows they have a good thing with me so generally they don't have much in the way of objection when I tell them to take last month's rent out of my security deposit. And like I said there isn't much they can/or would do if they were upset about it. It would be a waste of their time, especially given how difficult it is to legally pursue/win judgment against the real bad tenets in the state that I reside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have rented maybe 5 or 6 years of my live and never had an issue what so ever and always played by the rules and paid last months rent and got a full deposit back without even having to question it or having to sent any letters. So why are you making so much out of this last months rent and are you so bad talking about Land lords if you always are the good guy but just don't want to pay last monts rent? Is it because you trust the other party as you are to be trusted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 12:59 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
I just know how the world works and I try to protect myself from being taken advantage of.
What makes you think anyone wants to take advantage of you. Your attitudes tells us more about your trustworthiness than that of others.

Come to Texas and pull the "take it from my deposit" stunt and you'll be taught a lesson in integrity and accountability. I guess they don't believe in those things where you come from. Some of us believe and agreement is an agreement and we keep our promises. You are saying you only choose to keep the agreements that suit you and you place your own fears and worries ahead of your integrity.

Good luck with that template for life.

steve

Old 03-09-2008, 01:38 PM
b75

Talk about assumptions This is ridiculous. Someone asked a question & I gave an honest answer re: what I do to both ensure I am a good tenet and that I am also not taking advantage of. I have personally witnessed alot of people lose their security deposit to A) factually unsound claims B) a landlord just being unresponsive to their requests for the return. Every single one of those individuals gets why I proceed the way I do. And in case you miss it, my own family, some of whom have investment rental property who act as ethical landlords, know the industry and were the ones who initially advised me to tell my landlord to take the last month's rent out of the security deposit. It is well known to many people that landlords try to keep the security - I have fortunately found that my landlords have all returned the remaining balance, since they had no reason to keep it. However, if you would wish to alienate a good tenet who has a history of prompt payment, easy to deal with/accommodating, and caused no damage in your facility, that is your deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
What makes you think anyone wants to take advantage of you. Your attitudes tells us more about your trustworthiness than that of others.

Come to Texas and pull the "take it from my deposit" stunt and you'll be taught a lesson in integrity and accountability. I guess they don't believe in those things where you come from. Some of us believe and agreement is an agreement and we keep our promises. You are saying you only choose to keep the agreements that suit you and you place your own fears and worries ahead of your integrity.

steve

Old 03-09-2008, 01:43 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:

steve
I guess some one forgot to teach him this during his upbringing. He also forgets that accidents can happen during the time you get you furniture out. Maybe one day he will meet some one who really out smarts him and he will think back about how other people try to help him or warned him. If everybody thinks similar to him, the world will go down very fast and we don't need any laws any more and everybody does what they want. IMO it won't work and will a bad world and that is not what I want my kids and their kids to hev to live with. But we better stop because this person is so ignorant and thinks he can get away with anything. I'm glad you are on the same page as me and many others on this forum and we all know there are bad Land lords and bad tenants, but way more good ones.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:54 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Talk about assumptions This is ridiculous. Someone asked a question & I gave an honest answer re: what I do to both ensure I am a good tenet and that I am also not taking advantage of. I have personally witnessed alot of people lose their security deposit to A) factually unsound claims B) a landlord just being unresponsive to their requests for the return. Every single one of those individuals gets why I proceed the way I do. And in case you miss it, my own family, some of whom have investment rental property who act as ethical landlords, know the industry and were the ones who initially advised me to tell my landlord to take the last month's rent out of the security deposit. It is well known to many people that landlords try to keep the security - I have fortunately found that my landlords have all returned the remaining balance, since they had no reason to keep it. However, if you would wish to alienate a good tenet who has a history of prompt payment, easy to deal with/accommodating, and caused no damage in your facility, that is your deal.
If you never had a problem with your land lords why don't you act by the law. Maybe your family members didn't act so ethical or had a bad experience, which unfortunately happens. In my street there is one home rented out and for the second time horrible renters came to live there. All the other rented homes have been maintained by the renters and have descent people living there. At first I thought just one rotten apple, but now it happens twice after eahc other I'm starting to think it might be the landlord aswell. If he doesn't explain the renters have to mainatin the yard and there is a parking law in our community and HOA rules, than we can't blame the renters but have to blame the land lord. The yard is a mess and so is the rest.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:57 PM
b75

Talk about a stretch - it is now just hilarious to read this review of my morality since IRL it is about as far from the reality as possible. Not sure what you are afraid of if you have an honest tenet who has caused no damage, pays their rent on time & has been easy to deal with for years. Not sure why you need the rest of the money in the security deposit so bad. My other landlords have been just fine with this arrangement & if they complained I would have been less then sympathetic given the crap that I have observed other tenets put them through. I, unlike countless other tenets that they have had, actually pay my rent on time, don't need to be taken to court to evict, don't cause damage, don't constantly nag them to upgrade things at all hours of the night & I actually leave the place in good condition, even providing them back the exact number of keys they gave me initially. <shudder> Hope you never have to deal with such an AWFUL tenet. You know as a nice person I get taken advantage of alot. In this situation I have the ability to ensure I am not ripped off. And this he is a she

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I guess some one forgot to teach him this during his upbringing. He also forgets that accidents can happen during the time you get you furniture out. Maybe one day he will meet some one who really out smarts him and he will think back about how other people try to help him or warned him. If everybody thinks similar to him, the world will go down very fast and we don't need any laws any more and everybody does what they want. IMO it won't work and will a bad world and that is not what I want my kids and their kids to hev to live with. But we better stop because this person is so ignorant and thinks he can get away with anything. I'm glad you are on the same page as me and many others on this forum and we all know there are bad Land lords and bad tenants, but way more good ones.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
For crying out loud.

The correct spelling is "tenant".

And I wonder how many landlords who have been burned by tenants who skip out on the last month's rent by thinking that their deposit applies to that have subsequently increased the deposit for the next renter.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:36 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Not sure what you are afraid of if you have an honest tenet who has caused no damage, pays their rent on time & has been easy to deal with for years.
But you are not an honest tenant if you sign an agreement knowing full well, in advance, that you intent to dishonor the agreement at the end.

The honorable way to do it would be to negotiate up front with the landlord how the last month's rent will be handled, and write it into the lease agreement. If the landlord doesn't agree, you can keep looking until you find one who will do it your way. Otherwise, you're practicing deception when you sign the lease because you know that your intentions are different that what your signature pledges.

Steve

Old 03-09-2008, 04:56 PM
b75

For crying out loud I know how to spell thank you very much....I'm just posting quickly. Seriously I am done with this. I believe the security deposit I have paid is generally the highest allowed in my state. So I doubt they are raising it after I leave, especially considering the fact that I am model tenant and they have received years of prompt payment from me. Think whatever you all will; it doesn't matter to me. From what I have observed, in both my personal dealings and by the way in which others conduct themselves, I am an ideal tenant & would be thrilled to have me as a renter, given that I know what is out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
For crying out loud.

The correct spelling is "tenant".

And I wonder how many landlords who have been burned by tenants who skip out on the last month's rent by thinking that their deposit applies to that have subsequently increased the deposit for the next renter.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:59 PM
b75

Tell you what - when I leave this complex after having lived here for several years & faithfully paid my rent on time, I will ask them what they think of my overall tenancy. Given the range of personalities that generally exist in most complexes, I don't think they'll have a problem with me.

Quote:
But you are not an honest tenant if you sign an agreement knowing full well, in advance, that you intent to dishonor the agreement at the end.

The honorable way to do it would be to negotiate up front with the landlord how the last month's rent will be handled, and write it into the lease agreement. If the landlord doesn't agree, you can keep looking until you find one who will do it your way. Otherwise, you're practicing deception when you sign the lease because you know that your intentions are different that what your signature pledges.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting