Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 07:01 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking of removing my kitchen door too because the refrigerator door keeps banging into it, and i can not open my fridge door all the way.. but i will call my building office and see if they can get a maintenance man to come up here and do it. i wont do it myself, i am sure the door is way heavier than i imagine and i dont want to get hurt. if they say no, i wont do it. i always ask the office whether i can do something or not, and surprise! they will tell me yes or no, and if they can, they will acccommodate me. i'd never remove a door in my apartment like some renters above seem to be so blase about it. I keep reading some of the comments and i cant believe how some tenants act entitled. i think it will catch up with them and one day we will be reading their thread which says "i removed the kitchen door and now my landlord has served me a 30 days notice. What can i doooooooooo? i got nowhere else to go!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 05:40 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
This reminds me of anyone who is inflexible, has rigid personal tastes they are not willing to budge on, for example being picky eaters, etc. They bother me.. I like flexible people who can roll with the punches without whining like a baby, who don't always have to get their way.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:41 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Doors in this apt are a PAIN! Pantry is Narrow & Barely a 1' deep! Every time I went to get something or put something in. I hit my hand on the metal folding door! 2 weeks after move in off it came. As had several others! Twice I been told to put it back on... I just ignore LL They Don't live here I Do! Most cant even get in/out or around when using walkers/wheel chairs.
I would think you could request the doors stay off as part of your accommodations for your disability. It is a very reasonable request.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 PM

232 posts, read 1,653,591 times
When we rented our last home, we ended up removing the sliding doors for the closet in our kid's room and stored them. We did it because the doors were constantly falling off of the tracks, including once when it hit and knocked down our kid. The first few times they fell out of the tracks, we would put them back in, but they were never very secure (and required mounting hardware that wasn't found in the 'universal' repair kits).

The maintenance sent by the management company would put them back on the tracks the first few times we called, but basically did nothing more than what we had done, even after we explained that it didn't work.

So, to keep our kids safe and to keep the doors from getting damaged from falling, we removed them and put them back in when we moved out.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:13 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
This thread jinxed me. A folding door fell off the tracks today. It is propped up in my dining room at the moment. I definitely did not do this intentionally! Is is the closet my washer and dryer are in. It is super noisy without the door!!

Old 02-19-2017, 02:29 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Keep their deposit until they put the doors back on. Why should they create work for you? I used to have rental property and found it a pain....

Old 02-19-2017, 07:05 AM

Ha! this is funny - i called my maintenance guy for the apartment building here, off went the kitchen door that was getting in the way. he said the renovated apartments dont have it, but mine is non-renovated and thats why it is still here. i have a smaller kitchen and its an unnecessary door that leads from the kitchen to the hallway of my apattment, but theres another door kitty corner from it that leads to the living room, and that door gets in the way of the refrigerator and a place to put my garbage can. Thanks for this topic that helped me with getting the idea of getting that door off. Now door is gone down to the basement!

Old 02-19-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
This thread jinxed me. A folding door fell off the tracks today. It is propped up in my dining room at the moment. I definitely did not do this intentionally! Is is the closet my washer and dryer are in. It is super noisy without the door!!
do you know how to put that back on easily? All you do is get on a step stool so you can reach the top of the door, now, there is a metal pin (that springs when you press on it). This pin is on the top of the door which fits inside the track on the top of the doorway. So put the door on the bottom track and then push that pin down and insert in the top track. Then voila! door is fixed. Easy peasy and im not even handy.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:42 AM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times
One thing I've noticed about my younger acquaintances, including some millennial relatives is that they don't read much. They are always on their phones and always looking at a tiny screen, but they may not go to the trouble of reading a long lease. (Of course, there are exceptions.) I would suggest printing a separate (large print) addendum to your leases that clearly forbids the activities you find disturbing. Maybe list a fine. Have them sign it separately.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:46 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
Meh, i removed the folding doors for our laundry, but they wouldn't fit otherwise. they're literally the pop in and out ones. But, on the same hand, i didn't structurally change anything. If they want them back, it would take me 5 seconds to put the bottom peg in and top peg in. done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting