Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:16 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,799 times

Advertisements

I had been wanting some fence boards for a project, and last week I saw there were some a few blocks down being given away. So I got some (there were some long pieces of fencing, and a bunch of boards). It was late and they were heavy, so I just set them by the garage, so I wouldn't make more noise or alarm the neighbors moving them in the backyard or into the garage. (It's a duplex. The people on the other side are related to the landlord.) Then, a few days later, the landlord texts, with a PICTURE, saying what's going on with this fence? Ummm...it's kind of creepy that I apparently can't do anything without him taking a picture of the house, and asking what's going on here...but, when the neighbors are related to the landlord... And secondly, that it's not even bothering anything. It's just a few feet long section of fencing, that I put in front of the bush in front of the window...not on the grass, so it's not obstructing the lawn mowers. So I replied, I was just storing it there, didn't think it was bothering anything...they finally responded, "Well it could be stored in the garage I guess, but if u don't have a use for it you could disposed of it. We do provide outside maintenance to your home so that the house maintains in good condition and (in part) so the neighbors feel that it looks good and limits neighborhood concerns. Thanks for your understanding."

Why does everything have to have a use? Like I said I only left it there temporarily, but if they have to get all up in arms about it after only 3 days...I thought it looked nice, added some interest and variety, and what is it hurting? It's not in the way of anything...I certainly didn't bother hauling it, just to "dispose" of it. And what does "outside maintenance" have to do with the "condition" of the house? I guess, the most important thing, is "so the NEIGHBORS feel that it looks good" and "limits neighborhood concerns." What is there to be concerned about over a few feet long section of fencing? And why is what the neighbors think so important? THEY'RE not the ones paying to live in THEIR house. You would think it's the tenants that matter, not everyone else. We're the ones paying to live here, you would think that also includes the yard and being able to use and enjoy the yard. But no, I guess they are just like the majority of mindless people that think a yard is apparently just for appearances. Why bother spending all that time 'maintaining' the yard, if no one can even use it or do anything in it?

I also did say I could mow the lawn, when we moved in...but they said, they have their people. It's just sort of ironic, that we can't even use or do anything in/with the yard, because the lawn people have to come and maintain said yard...of the house that we pay to live in. Yet, the yard is only there...to be maintained, apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 06:37 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
I had been wanting some fence boards for a project, and last week I saw there were some a few blocks down being given away. So I got some (there were some long pieces of fencing, and a bunch of boards). It was late and they were heavy, so I just set them by the garage, so I wouldn't make more noise or alarm the neighbors moving them in the backyard or into the garage. (It's a duplex. The people on the other side are related to the landlord.) Then, a few days later, the landlord texts, with a PICTURE, saying what's going on with this fence? Ummm...it's kind of creepy that I apparently can't do anything without him taking a picture of the house, and asking what's going on here...but, when the neighbors are related to the landlord... And secondly, that it's not even bothering anything. It's just a few feet long section of fencing, that I put in front of the bush in front of the window...not on the grass, so it's not obstructing the lawn mowers. So I replied, I was just storing it there, didn't think it was bothering anything...they finally responded, "Well it could be stored in the garage I guess, but if u don't have a use for it you could disposed of it. We do provide outside maintenance to your home so that the house maintains in good condition and (in part) so the neighbors feel that it looks good and limits neighborhood concerns. Thanks for your understanding."

Why does everything have to have a use? Like I said I only left it there temporarily, but if they have to get all up in arms about it after only 3 days...I thought it looked nice, added some interest and variety, and what is it hurting? It's not in the way of anything...I certainly didn't bother hauling it, just to "dispose" of it. And what does "outside maintenance" have to do with the "condition" of the house? I guess, the most important thing, is "so the NEIGHBORS feel that it looks good" and "limits neighborhood concerns." What is there to be concerned about over a few feet long section of fencing? And why is what the neighbors think so important? THEY'RE not the ones paying to live in THEIR house. You would think it's the tenants that matter, not everyone else. We're the ones paying to live here, you would think that also includes the yard and being able to use and enjoy the yard. But no, I guess they are just like the majority of mindless people that think a yard is apparently just for appearances. Why bother spending all that time 'maintaining' the yard, if no one can even use it or do anything in it?

I also did say I could mow the lawn, when we moved in...but they said, they have their people. It's just sort of ironic, that we can't even use or do anything in/with the yard, because the lawn people have to come and maintain said yard...of the house that we pay to live in. Yet, the yard is only there...to be maintained, apparently.
It was there for three days and they didn't know it was there temporarily. Additionally, if the duplex is within an HOA and the C&Rs mandate keeping the front of homes free of "junk" then the LL is well within their rights to question you about it.

I actually commend your landlord for ensuring the curb appeal of the house is well maintained and free of clutter. I only wish the landlord of the house next door to mine cared as much.

You should be able to use the yard, and do activities in the yard. You're simply prohibited from making "improvements" and adding lawn decorations. I don't think that's a hill to die on.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:51 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,799 times
I don't really know anything about "HOA's", but I don't think it is, since other neighbors have weird/junky stuff sometimes (like the one across the street), and there are a couple a few blocks down that are pretty junky and have junky cars all over their place. So, I don't think the 'curb appeal' is the issue, as it's far back from the curb, and not any worse than any other houses.

Because, the lawn people show up at any time. So I apparently can't have anything out in the yard, because it "obstructs" their activities. Like, if i wanted to go sit out in the sun, with a blanket and whatever...then, if they show up, I have to get everything and go back inside, until they're done. And if I wanted to sit outside and have a meal or something...well, it would be even more trouble to move a table and things. I used to have a clothesline also, and I don't know if they complained about it, but I'm sure it was an 'inconvenience'. I also had a butterfly garden ornament, that was in the "dirt" part in front of the house (behind the bushes and stuff that they "work" on), and they eventually took that.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:26 AM

586 posts, read 555,028 times
Quote:
I don't really know anything about "HOA's"
Well you should probably learn about them.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:23 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
So, what you are complaining about is that you are not allowed to use the lawn for storage.

Good for your landlord for stopping you from starting a possible junk pile.

For three days, it would have disturbed the neighbors or alarmed them by making noise to move the boards? You put the boards there because it was after dark. It was not "after dark" for three whole days.

You've rented a place where the landlord cares about keeping the place looking good and neat. At the end of your lease, I suggest that you move to a place where the landlord doesn't care. It's easy to tell. Pick a rental where the "lawn" is dirt and dead weeds. That landlord most likely won't care if you stack a few old boards beside your garage.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:11 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:

Renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property. And where you have to answer to nosy people who have a right to be unreasonable and even tyrannical, and whose side other landlords will always take without question, if a disagreement arises which becomes an issue in future.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, what you are complaining about is that you are not allowed to use the lawn for storage.

Good for your landlord for stopping you from starting a possible junk pile.

For three days, it would have disturbed the neighbors or alarmed them by making noise to move the boards? You put the boards there because it was after dark. It was not "after dark" for three whole days.

You've rented a place where the landlord cares about keeping the place looking good and neat. At the end of your lease, I suggest that you move to a place where the landlord doesn't care. It's easy to tell. Pick a rental where the "lawn" is dirt and dead weeds. That landlord most likely won't care if you stack a few old boards beside your garage.

I suggest finding a property with an absentee landlord. (Property records are a good place to start.) 18 months in this house and I've never met or talked with the landlord.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
Well you should probably learn about them.

Those who avoid them need not know further about them.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:35 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I suggest finding a property with an absentee landlord. (Property records are a good place to start.) 18 months in this house and I've never met or talked with the landlord.
This is exactly why the homeowners you envy so much work so hard at keeping rentals out of their "space". I don't want to live in an area that crap piles up, people live 15 to a house, and there is no care given to the property or the neighborhood.

Not all renters are like this, but renters who seek out absentee landlords tend to be.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:44 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
You blurred/crossed the line with regards to use of the property. It's not the boards that are the problem, it's the transgression.

If a LL doesn't have proper authority over the property then someone else does. Not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting