Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,094 times

Advertisements

My roommate is moving when our one year lease expires and I want to stay in the apartment. I live in a rent stabilized building in Manhattan. Assuming I will receive a lease renewal close to the lease expiration how will I be able to renew the lease with a new roommate? Will I have to sign a new lease altogether with a new roommate? Will the building manager/LL evict me? I've lived in the city my whole life and understand tenants have more rights here than other cities/states, but this is a new situation for me and I am very concerned that I will be forced to move despite being a good tenant. If you're familiar with situations like this (in NYC) I would love to hear from you.

BTW the building manager isn't a nice a guy - despite having good credit and qualifying income he gave me a hard time when I initially applied for the apartment and to have my name put on the lease - just putting that out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 01:52 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Most leases allow for a substitution of roommate tenant situations with LL/manager approval. The LL is not required to extend the lease past it's current term.
Go inform your building manager about the situation. Ask what he needs from you to continue the lease agreement .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting