Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:59 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How do you get a credit card when you have a minimum wage income, a pile of student loan debt (even though monthly payments are not required on my minimum wage income) and two old judgments you cannot resolve on a minimum wage income?
Get a secured credit card. They are made for people with credit issues who are trying to rebuild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I just want to see it so I know if I want it.
To be fair, I myself like to do drive-bys if I am on a new assignment and need a short rental in another city. I don't want to waste anyone's time if I go into the neighborhood and it's unsavory.

So I would give out the address so they can swing by and check out the neighborhood.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I have never done a mass showing in my life. I want to meet and talk to the applicant. Get a feel for them. I give a prescreening questionnaire. I do everything I can to decline a applicant before I charge them $40 to pull their file just to decline them because their file is bad in some way. So I ask the basics on credit evictions etc. if they got them I just decline the applicant.

While pulling the credit is part of doing business I can't pay for every applicants check. It's ridiculous to expect me to pay for 1-200 applicants fees. Cosidering most would be denied and would lie their azzes off I'm not doing it. I don't even take a check to run background. I simply send a email link. They apply fill out and pull their record and pay for it. I had people put stop payments on checks after they were declined. I don't deal with it anymore. It's in them to get me their applications and required info.

Dude are you dense? If you make 1500 a month and my rental is 2300 a mi th and you don't understand that 1500 dollar income won't be enough to rent a 2300 dollar a month property I can't help you. Other than tell you you are declined based on insufficient income

I can't do anything about your income or living situation. You however can.
I seriously doubt you have 200 applicants for an apartment. And if so you narrow it down to a handful of people you like then pull their credit reports. It's also crazy for me to waste $35 for a credit report at every apartment i look at because they want a current up to date report. And the odds of me getting the apartment when 200 other people are looking are slim.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
What good is understanding the process if you make minimum wage and have bad credit you can't fix?
If you understand the process, you know not to waste your own time trying to get into a place where the rent is over your wage and requires good credit. You pass on that rental and move onto a rental that caters to you.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
According to Census data, as of 2012, 48.5 percent of minimum wage workers were at least 25 years old. That doesn't sound transitory to me. And unpaid judgments don't magically drop off your credit report after seven years.
See where that attitude thing is important?

If you want a better rental, get a second job and fix your credit by paying off the judgment and any other negative items on your report.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:50 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Everyone has the option to stop being a minimum wage worker, to wake up and rise above that lifestyle.

The rain falls on saint and sinner alike.
Yeah but where are all the jobs if most people aren't minimum wage workers anymore? Bottom line is we need minimum wage workers more then the jobs that require education and training because they do the jobs people are too lazy to do or to cool to do. I personally haven't made minimum wage since 1992 just saying.

How are you going to stuff your gut sitting in your Benz if nobody is working the drivethru?

Old 07-10-2017, 09:09 AM

902 posts, read 863,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Calling his boss is pretty outrageous. He didn't threaten you.
He said he was a cop but he didn't say bc he was a cop he was going to do something to you. Just bc you can find him doesn't mean you should. That's an abuse of the information you receive. The interaction was between the two of you and you tattle? Weird.
It was improper for him to bring up the fact that he is an LEO. That has no bearing on the matter and he wasn't even the party that needed housing. It's a Color of Law issue. I'm guessing you've never had a bad experience with an LEO.

While I understand where you're coming from, after I gave an informal warning to back off, he proceeded to escalate the situation. The Chief of police for his department was not impressed by his suboordinate's communication and requested I personally contact him if the situation continues. There's a good reason for that. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the Chief saw an ethics issue just as I did. I'm guessing he's a better judge of this situation than you, nowadamsayin'...?

Hopefully a lesson was learned. He communication was very abnormal and when somebody carrying a gun acts abnormal and provides enough information for me to contact his employer, his name is getting lit up in the bright lights if he is unable to disengage. Cops are supposed to uphold themselves to a higher level than Joe Q. Public.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:18 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Yeah but where are all the jobs if most people aren't minimum wage workers anymore? Bottom line is we need minimum wage workers more then the jobs that require education and training because they do the jobs people are too lazy to do or to cool to do. I personally haven't made minimum wage since 1992 just saying.

How are you going to stuff your gut sitting in your Benz if nobody is working the drivethru?
As a society there is a need for Minimum-Wage jobs. I have not said otherwise.

When discussing specific individuals I would assume that most individuals would have some drive to be more than a Minimum-Wage worker all of their career.

I do not drive a Benz, nor do I use drive-thrus.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:24 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
It was improper for him to bring up the fact that he is an LEO. That has no bearing on the matter and he wasn't even the party that needed housing. It's a Color of Law issue. I'm guessing you've never had a bad experience with an LEO.

While I understand where you're coming from, after I gave an informal warning to back off, he proceeded to escalate the situation. The Chief of police for his department was not impressed by his suboordinate's communication and requested I personally contact him if the situation continues. There's a good reason for that. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the Chief saw an ethics issue just as I did. I'm guessing he's a better judge of this situation than you, nowadamsayin'...?

Hopefully a lesson was learned. He communication was very abnormal and when somebody carrying a gun acts abnormal and provides enough information for me to contact his employer, his name is getting lit up in the bright lights if he is unable to disengage. Cops are supposed to uphold themselves to a higher level than Joe Q. Public.
But unless I missed something, he wasn't using the job as a threat. He was offended by your canned response about the $ involved with the apartment and that you were implying that he would inquire about an apartment that the son couldn't afford. I get that bc I asked about places for my dad a few months back and some replies read as rude to us normal people who already understand how much money rentals want to get in/credit/bg check. We're not going to ask about a 2k unit if I make 3k or have a 580 score but I also understand the LL and the fact that you do get those people.
You understand that the chief was 99.999% just giving you lip service and a 40 year officer talking some **** to you is nbd. I still think it's strange that you called his boss but don't call the bosses of all the other people who tell you off.
He didn't like your response. He is a policeman and said so, he also said the son was a truck driver. It sounds like he's just giving you the facts.
Maybe you should rethink your blanket response and see if it is rude in tone. You might be so burnt out by the bad apples that you're coming across as rude to decent people.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I still think it's strange that you called his boss but don't call the bosses of all the other people who tell you off.
LEOs are held to a higher standard, and they shouldn't be able to throw around their "I'm an LEO" card just because they are transacting business with someone.

Telling the OP he has 40 years as an LEO tells me he's a big-mouthed oaf who pushes people around, and his chief likely knows it, but should take extra care watching him lest he get in trouble with more than just his mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting