Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:53 AM

65 posts, read 71,089 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

What if I sign a lease for one year and then get a roommate within that time span? How would that work with the lease?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 09:07 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,960 times
Nothing, that person just won't be on the lease.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:18 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisdan1 View Post
What if I sign a lease for one year and then get a roommate within that time span?
How would that work with the lease?
That depends entirely on what the lease says about sublets
and even if the lease doesn't say anything it will still depend on how the owner wants things.

At the MINIMUM expect this person to complete a tenancy application and to pass
the LL's standards regarding credit, income and rental history and then some documents
describing their limited sub-tenancy rights as a housemate vs being on the lease.

If all is good... the LL might also want to re-write the lease altogether.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:29 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
What happens? If you are in my rental, I evict both of you... unless you have contacted me in advance and received permission.

Then your potential roommate has to fill out an application and go through the screening process. After that is all done, your roommate is added to the lease as a tenant.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:26 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
I usually don’t like doing that. I have done it in the past but I really don’t like it. I had a few applicants who wanted to bring in a roommate later. I usually decline such proposals.

If I allow it the new tenant must pass all the requirements the other tenants will assed. If you sneak them in I’ll evict all tenants

Old 10-27-2017, 07:04 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,709,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I usually don’t like doing that. I have done it in the past but I really don’t like it. I had a few applicants who wanted to bring in a roommate later. I usually decline such proposals.

If I allow it the new tenant must pass all the requirements the other tenants will assed. If you sneak them in I’ll evict all tenants
E4U, you crack me up sometimes. I don't believe we have ever "assed" a current tenant when a new tenant moves in. LOL Ya just gotta love that auto-correct, huh?

OP, we have definitely added tenants mid-lease before. Most of them that I recall were due to a boyfriend/girlfriend moving in. The one moving in has to go through all of the same screening and qualifying process just as any other tenant does. If they qualify then they will be added to the lease and required to sign.

The worst possible thing you can do is sneak someone in or even have them staying there beyond the specified guest clause in your lease.

But every LL is different so your mileage may vary. It is best to ask your LL what their procedure is, if applicable.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
E4U, you crack me up sometimes. I don't believe we have ever "assed" a current tenant when a new tenant moves in. LOL Ya just gotta love that auto-correct, huh?

OP, we have definitely added tenants mid-lease before. Most of them that I recall were due to a boyfriend/girlfriend moving in. The one moving in has to go through all of the same screening and qualifying process just as any other tenant does. If they qualify then they will be added to the lease and required to sign.

The worst possible thing you can do is sneak someone in or even have them staying there beyond the specified guest clause in your lease.

But every LL is different so your mileage may vary. It is best to ask your LL what their procedure is, if applicable.
Damn giant fingers and small iPhone. It was meant to say passed

There are instances where I will do it but I’m rarely happy about it. It just seems a bit underhanded for a tenant to rent then want to bring in a friend etc. I rent based on what I have in front of me presented. So when you add a new tenant or two not I have additional wear and tear that It it not accounted for. Adding a extra person means twice the wear. Adding 3 people is 4x the wear.

A huge factor is how the current tenant behaves overall and how they take care of my rental

Old 10-27-2017, 09:17 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,709,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Damn giant fingers and small iPhone. It was meant to say passed

There are instances where I will do it but I’m rarely happy about it. It just seems a bit underhanded for a tenant to rent then want to bring in a friend etc. I rent based on what I have in front of me presented. So when you add a new tenant or two not I have additional wear and tear that It it not accounted for. Adding a extra person means twice the wear. Adding 3 people is 4x the wear.

A huge factor is how the current tenant behaves overall and how they take care of my rental
I don't think we have ever had a case yet where there was more than 1 person being added on with a single tenant already in a unit so 2 people total per our 2 bedroom 1000 sq ft units is fine for us. It would definitely be questionable, and most times denied, if it was more than 1 person being added in the middle of a lease term.

But like I told the OP, every LL is different so it is best to find out how her LL feels about adding on tenants.

And speaking of adding on people in the middle of a lease, but just a bit different (LOL), we do have one couple who has been with us for years now and since living there they have both gone through 4 years of college, then both went on to get their master's degrees, then started their family and are now pregnant with their 3rd child. So the unit is getting a bit too cozy for them plus they are on the 2nd floor so it will soon be 3 kids under 4 years old. Not to mention it is getting a bit too much for the rest of the tenants in the building. We are curious and anxiously waiting to see what they will do at lease renewal.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:21 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What happens? If you are in my rental, I evict both of you... unless you have contacted me in advance and received permission.

Then your potential roommate has to fill out an application and go through the screening process. After that is all done, your roommate is added to the lease as a tenant.

^^^^^^This. Read your lease. There is probably language regarding notification, and written approval of the Landlord for adding tenants. There will also be language of Remedies for the Landlord to use, and this may put you into Default of the Lease.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:35 AM

I recently declined a guy who had 9 roommates. I thought I heard wrong at first. I have a set rule that all applicants must meet at the same time. The guy said that’s gonna be difficult and I asked why. That’s when he said there are 9’roomates and they all have different schedules.

Yet another reason I want to meet all joint applicants at the same time. I had instances wher I tried setting up different times and got tired of the flakes and the “can’t make it sorry” texts
So now all joint applicants must be there together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting