Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 09:26 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,519,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Our government puts out data on this and it shows as of December 2017 that 31.4% of homes are renter occupied with 12.2% of homes vacant and 56.4% are homeowner occupied. That is FAR from becoming a nation of renter's.

You can find the full data here and they release a new report quarterly: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...wm9WzNpeMUA4hb
But we are undeniably becoming a nation forgetful of how to use apos'trophe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 10:28 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,243,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Your only complaint is that Google's auto fill is garbage? If auto fill putting in an apostrophe on renter's bugs you (because I mostly use it for renter's insurance and Google doesn't exactly understand context) then you should get off the internet.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:51 AM

137 posts, read 145,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem is the world is filled with what sounds to be great mantras but in practice mean little .

buy low sell high is one of those silly mantras , where is low ? we all thought low was when we fell 2000 points in 2008 . who knew we had 4000 more to go which either hit stop losses or send investors trying to time things bailing out at losses . buy high and sell higher has made more money for investors than any other mantra . the trend is your friend .

the most spewed is live below your means .

but what does live below your means actually tell you ? not to much . what is means today can flip on a dime with divorce-illness -job loss .

living within your means has a whole lot more to do with the ratio of discretionary to non discretionary spending than just the amount you live on . when you have a budget that is certainly within your means but everything is a need and not a want , there is no where to cut back . it has to do with preparing for the big 3 that eventually hits us all that i listed above . how do you prepare and protect ? that is all part of living within ones means .

so there needs to be a whole lot more that needs to be learned than the sayings you see typically spewed on forums .
I just think that without investing your money in something smart, it's really hard to be able to save enough to feel financially comfortable.
One guy told me he has enough money saved, so that if something happens with his job, he can comfortably live with his family for 1 year without work. I thought that's an amazing plan, but it's not that easy to get there...

Old 02-12-2018, 01:20 AM

137 posts, read 145,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Nah, just a bunch of meaningless assumptions. Homeownership rates (owner occupied/all occupied) have held fairly steady over the last two decades, with the expected peak at the peak of the housing boom and it dropped back down to a normal healthy level after the bust, drops around recessions are normal. The rate has been rising steadily and you can expect it to rise for the foreseeable future until the next bubble pops. The previous linked data shows 4th qtr 2017 at 64.2% (and trending up) vs 4th qtr 1996 at 65.4%.

When homeownership rates drop below 55% then maybe there would be something to talk about.
I think it's a good idea to keep an eye on trends rather than wait until the crash actually happens; there might be some good opportunities there. It's like with hair loss, it's better to notice that your hair is falling and take some action, rather than waiting to get bold to do something about it

Old 02-12-2018, 10:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Or how to spell apostrophe.

Before you throw stones at other members it may be a good idea to be PERFECT in your post don’t you think?

Old 02-15-2018, 12:22 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:

Albertsons is giving apostrophe the boot

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-the-boot.html

Old 02-15-2018, 03:53 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxman590 View Post
The only "crisis" is that a large percentage of people in the U.S. lack financial discipline.
I have no great love for my fellow citizens -- but your statement is not true. Wages have been stagnant for the past 40-50 years. While I think high school kids should have a semester course, every year for four years, and while I do tend to agree that we could all use more financial discipline, fair is fair, and your statement is not factual.

For most workers, real wages have barely budged for decades | Pew Research Center

Old 02-18-2018, 06:50 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,317,297 times
In my city, the median home price is about five times the median household income. A home should be 3x your salary not 5x.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:04 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Both statements are true. Wages have been stagnating AND people lack financial discipline. So many people where I work who pull in $25/hour blow it at the sports bar to the tune of $150+ per week, or they buy new, decked out $50K pickup trucks, or they have a red bull habit and spend $4-6 per day on those when a cup of coffee is 25 cents.

I got lucky with my home... estate auction paid $120K which is 2X my annual income not counting the stock market or crypto currencies. Bought it Oct 2016, Put around $10K into it, and could sell it for $180K today.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:58 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenn View Post
One guy told me he has enough money saved, so that if something happens with his job,
(his fault or not) he can comfortably live with his family for 1 year without work.

I thought that's an amazing plan, but it's not that easy to get there...
Easy or not it's a plain vanilla tactic called "The Emergency Fund" (or FU money).
They're available for all manner of unplanned expenses aside from unemployment.
EVERYONE should have these accounts and however 'not easy' it might be to achieve it.

The amount to hold beyond six months of expenses should reflect how long it generally takes
for people in their field and at their level to get another similar job and how much OTHER cash
they have available within their overall portfolio of assets & investments. A year can make good sense.
---

As to the rise in renters... job insecurity plays a larger role now than in the past.
If you can't be certain you'll be in the same city for X years (let alone the same job/company)
it becomes really hard to justify committing to an expensive mortgage even if you can afford it.

Last edited by MrRational; 02-25-2018 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting