Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:40 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why would they even what you as a landlord...again. What would keep you from doing this to them again! Moving is expensive & time consuming. IF they move to another of your places are you willing to pay the packers/mover/utility co...transfers of utilities is not cheep! Having just moved let me tell you...cable reconect in new apt $30/phone $60 & no DSL for 20 days!!/Ele $65 plus weeks of packing /unpacking & nothing ever fits the same in both places!! I had to get rid of things that would not fit the new place & buy things that would....oh yea I had to pay old landlord rent Plus Rent & deposit for the New place!!
I don't believe he was referring to them renting from him again, rather HE searched for a place nearby that was comparable to what he currently owned.

I'm sorry if the need to sell a piece of property inconvienences the person renting from said property. Maybe you should look for a complex, or sign a 20 year lease if you don't want to move ever again.

And yeah, you have to pay a deposit, but if you take care of the place, you tend to be able to get that sucker back. Some states even force the landlord to pay you interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Are the renters monthly or on a long-term lease?
Good point. If the renters are on a long-term lease, the new owner may be obligated to uphold that.

Yes he does. In most states he has to give 24 hours notice. 6 days written notice if by mail.
Yeah, he has to give NOTICE. He doesn't HAVE to coordinate a time when someone is home. It sounds like it was the coordination that they stonewalled him on.

And whatever happened to common courtesy? You somehow don't think it's a huge imposition on your tenants to have strangers wandering through their home at random times?

Used to be, when you wanted or needed to inconvenience someone else, you asked their permission first, and you didn't get all bent out of shape if they declined to let you. But I suppose that was back when people had common decency.
Its his house. His property. In my opinion, common decency is letting the owner sell his property if he's so inclined.
But I guess common decency is gone, right?

Now people all just hide behind the letter of the law instead of using common sense.

To the OP's credit; he decided not to force the issue and show the place (which most states do allow) while the tenants were living there. Bravo. That was the most courteous thing you could have done.

Incorrect. It is my HOME, it is my landlord's HOUSE/Apartment. I paid for the use of the space, therefore it is mine to do with as I please so long as I return it to it's previous state when I finish leasing it. If that means telling the landlord he can't come in or bring over potential buyers (within the letter of the law) then so be it.

Only if you don't charge any rental fee. Otherwise, it's like you rented out your computer, then insisted that I let someone pound on the keyboard and download random stuff of the internet when I am trying to update a spreadsheet.
If I charged you for the use of my computer, but someone else wanted to own my computer, I'd give you notice that I was going to sell it, and that I need to be able to access it to do so. And to show it.

Pounding on the keyboard and downloading random stuff would be if a prospective buyer showed up with paint supplies and started going to town while your stuff is all over there, without paying for it. Thats NOT what happens when you tour a home to buy it. The buyer seriously touches damn close to nothing. Maybe opens the fridge, the microwave, etc. They don't rummage through your stuff and start making deals with the owner on what STUFF stays.

If you rent a car, you don't let AVIS bring someone over to take it for a test-drive at the same time as you need it to get somewhere.
I'm not saying he should move the house. I'm saying that the renters need to have the common decency to allow him to show it.

Exactly. If you depend on the letter of the law--instead of common decency--to determine how you act, don't be surprised when somebody else treats you the same way. You might be able to force your tenants to let you show the property against their will, however they could quite easily make the place look like a pigsty, without doing any physical damage, all while keeping within the letter of the law.

Again, I agree with the OP's final decision to not show the house until the tenants are moved out.

You can preach about common decency as much as you want, but in the end, think about it. Its rented space. Its not YOURS in any legal or significant way. So, if the owner wants to show the property, let him. If he's offering to coordinate so that someone is home, let him. If you're asking for compensation to do so on a general basis, thats not right.

Compensation again should be given for making the place presentable, (shampooing carpets, cleaning walls, bathrooms, etc). The stuff above and beyond what we normally do each week at our houses.

Not for the priviledge of entering his own property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 07:04 AM

221 posts, read 600,433 times
Default Yep!

Quote:
I wouldn't let my landlord show my apartment while I lived there either, unless it was written into my contract.

From the renter's perspective, not only are you kicking them out of their home of 4 years with only two month's notice for them to find a new place, but you want to bring in strangers who are going to break their stuff, rummage through their personal items, and steal things while they are trying to relocate. All without giving them any sort of compensation or garantees. No thank you.

You're trying to have your cake and eat it too by having them pay full rent right up until they leave, but also asking for permission to violate their personal space whenever you please at the same time. That's a big burden to place on someone, and no surprise that they refused. You should offer them compensation or--better yet--just cool your jets until they have moved out. It's probably not gonna sell for a few years in today's market anyway.
I agree with this poster 100%.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:19 AM

203 posts, read 927,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why would they even what you as a landlord...again. What would keep you from doing this to them again! Moving is expensive & time consuming. IF they move to another of your places are you willing to pay the packers/mover/utility co...transfers of utilities is not cheep! Having just moved let me tell you...cable reconect in new apt $30/phone $60 & no DSL for 20 days!!/Ele $65 plus weeks of packing /unpacking & nothing ever fits the same in both places!! I had to get rid of things that would not fit the new place & buy things that would....oh yea I had to pay old landlord rent Plus Rent & deposit for the New place!!
I have the means to help them move. I've been in their home before and seen their possessions........they do not own a lot. It wouldnt take much to move a sofa and a few beds. The husband is the sole provider and I'm aware they are living basically paycheck to paycheck. But as i said before, it's not my job to feel sorry for people.........the rent is the lowest in the area and there are No extra fees. The rent would have continued on from the original home.......nothing extra. Granted i forgot about transferring the cable and telephone...........but now that i have been reminded I would have compensated them for that........Thanks

Old 04-01-2008, 06:31 AM

203 posts, read 927,765 times
Quote:
Are the renters monthly or on a long-term lease?

And whatever happened to common courtesy? You somehow don't think it's a huge imposition on your tenants to have strangers wandering through their home at random times?

Used to be, when you wanted or needed to inconvenience someone else, you asked their permission first, and you didn't get all bent out of shape if they declined to let you. But I suppose that was back when people had common decency.

Now people all just hide behind the letter of the law instead of using common sense.

To the OP's credit; he decided not to force the issue and show the place (which most states do allow) while the tenants were living there. Bravo. That was the most courteous thing you could have done.
That was the whole point of trying to communicate with him, so We could find out his work schedule/the most convienent times to come over! And Get His Permission! He can choose to be there or be at work......Whatever! From my perspective the only ones "hiding" are them. They can have it for the 2 months but if anything happens to my investment..........the courteous gig is over...........Thanks

Old 04-01-2008, 10:21 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overtaxedunderpaided View Post
Tenants i've had for 4 years...........no problems, paid rent, didnt make any outrageous demands, basically problem-free. Also, i might add, i did not raise the rent. Now it's time to sell the house. They have been warned verbally(nicely and professionally) by myself and my realtor. In addition a letter was left in the mailbox and another by registered mail(and offered another home to rent)..........they have the usual 60 days. The problem? they are making themselves unavailable to allow for showings. Granted there is a communication prob(English is their second language). The sign has been posted and the lockbox is on, however if i dont get their permission to enter i have to wait the 60 days to make this property move. My realtor suggested offering 25/showin or 100/wk............i think that's borderline blackmail and hate the fact that people who i have been very accomodating to should be allowed to basically grab me by the ba**s...............finances are tight, i can make it, but why people should be able to put you under this kind of stress?...........frankly, after this fiasco, I Will Never Rent Again!
What ya'll think?
I've read all the posts in this thread and am not back on your original one. Let's see: (1) You've let them know both verbally and in writing that they have 60 days to vacate. (2) They're not making themselves available to allow for showing. That is what you said above. Does it say in their contract that they're supposed to make themselves available? Does it say anywhere in the contract that the apartment needs to be made available to other people while they are still living there under contract? If it doesn't say anything to those effects in the contract, then what leg do you have to stand on? If it does, then it's a different story. Your realtor probably knows what's going on and that's the reason why he/she is saying to sweeten the pot with a little bit of money as an incentive. Why would he/she say that otherwise?

And to the person who thinks that renters don't have any rights and that nothing belongs to them even though they are paying rent, I thank God that I'm not at your mercy for any business transaction. Attitudes like yours is the reason why people have to go to court just to get what they deserve, just to get both parties to live up to the terms of the agreement/contract. Some people can't live up to the terms of the contract, so they try to fanagle and twist the words around so that they can gain personal benefit. They really seem to like to do this with people that don't have a great grasp of the English language or those that are undereducated so that they can take advantage of them. From what I'm understanding, if I lease a car for 3 years and am paying regular lease payments on time, the leasing/financing company has the right to take my car out for a spin any time they feel like it because they might have a buyer for it in two months? Is that what you're saying? Since I don't "own" it, as I'm merely "leasing" it, it seems to be what you're saying. Of course, no one would ever do that with a car, but it seems perfectly acceptable to do that for a person's dwelling. Thank God for contracts that hopefully address these things before they get totally out of hand.

And finally, back to the original poster, if you don't want to rent, then don't rent. Not everyone should be a landlord, especially those landlords who are maxed out because they were on a get-rich pyramid scheme using real estate as their vehicle of choice. Not saying that the original poster is a person like that; just saying that there are plenty that were.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:33 AM

294 posts, read 1,086,746 times
Quote:
It is my HOME, it is my landlord's HOUSE/Apartment. I paid for the use of the space, therefore it is mine to do with as I please so long as I return it to it's previous state when I finish leasing it. If that means telling the landlord he can't come in or bring over potential buyers (within the letter of the law) then so be it.
NO its not your home, you are renting the space.... If you want somewhere to be YOUR HOME, buy one!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,114 times
Donna,

If its in the contract or in the laws, I will stand behind it. But you don't own the walls, you don't own the fixtures, etc. The damage a tenant does to things like that are things the LANDLORD must fix. Not the tenant. Thus, with the sheer lack of personal responsibility in this country, I get upset when people who are renting get all offended when a landlord wishes to sell property.

Yeah, because a company can just take the car from you... A car is not an investment for the owner of the car. And the few cars that are, sure as hell aren't being leased out. Real estate is a form of financial security for a lot of people. Landlords don't get rich quick off the rent, they use the rent to pay the mortgage and gain maybe a little bit here and there. But most times, on the month to month, landlords LOSE money overall. They make up for it in the appreciation of their property. So that when they want to sell, or relocate or move their money around, they've gained money.

For information. In Washington State, particularly King County... which is a very PRO-TENANT area... this is the law:

Quote:
Except in cases of emergency, the RLTA (RCW 59.18.150) requires landlords to receive a tenant’s consent before the landlord, manager, maintenance or other workers can enter a tenant’s apartment or house. A tenant cannot unreasonably deny access to the landlord. The required notice periods:
  • A landlord must give 24 hours advance notice to the tenant if the landlord wants to show the rental to a prospective tenant or purchaser.
  • A landlord must give 48 hours advance notice to a tenant if the landlord wants to enter to do work or an inspection.
  • The landlord does not have to give advance notice if they must enter in an emergency.
Cannot UNREASONABLY deny access.
From: Your Privacy Rights: Tenants Union of Washington State
and, the link to the RCW (WA's site is down, but this is the same RCW (http://www.mrsc.org/mc/rcw/RCW%20%20...018%20.150.htm)

Yeah, the landlord in this situation is being quite unreasonable.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:53 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmburns View Post
NO its not your home, you are renting the space.... If you want somewhere to be YOUR HOME, buy one!

Believe me, when I get off my computer, I will kiss the ground of my living room floor while raising my hands to the sky and thanking dear God that we own our own home.

Moderator Cut... please lets keep it friendly and on topic... UltraR

Maybe someone will be kinder to you than you were to them.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-01-2008 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 11:10 AM

294 posts, read 1,086,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Believe me, when I get off my computer, I will kiss the ground of my living room floor while raising my hands to the sky and thanking dear God that we own our own home.

Maybe someone will be kinder to you than you were to them.

I have both rented and owned, and when I rented i never considered it MY HOME.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-01-2008 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 11:16 AM

601 posts, read 1,904,305 times
Don't forget that being a landlord is a BUSINESS. No touchy feely or fuzzy good ones in this business. When you "go there" as a landlord you tend to get burned. (just like the lady who had been evicted 17 times in the last 7 years and wondered why I could not bring myself to rent to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting