Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:44 AM

486 posts, read 415,806 times

Advertisements

One of our tenants has had incessant issues with his stove. It has been fixed at least once and replaced at least twice (once with a used one from another unit that had no issues before going to him, most recently with a brand new one).

There have been one or two times where it at least appeared like normal wear and tear.

I just got another complaint about his stove not working. I haven't seen it this time yet, but I'm not sure how to handle this when it certainly appears to be a problem unique to him, but we can't prove it's due to his actions (how do you even break a stove this often?).

In the past it's been that it doesn't work properly, one burner doesn't work, then no burners work, and when we go in the stove isn't clean.

It is a typical electric range/oven combo, the cheapest one from Lowe's usually (which should still last MANY years).

Now he's complaining and talking about an attorney (rent is going up according to his lease, but maintenance is dropping). We take care of things as needed, but this guy has more than his share of complaints. We don't have a maintenance guy right now, but we are taking care of critical issues as they arise (as in an AC gets fixed that day, a loose drawer handle will have to wait).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 10:00 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
One of our tenants has had incessant issues with his stove.
It has been fixed at least once and replaced at least twice...
When does his lease expire? (On a M2M it would be soon)

Focus on getting him to move out soonest:
"Clearly you don't seem happy to be here. If you would like to move soon
we'll be willing to void the balance of your lease. (and so forth)"

If you can... start listing appliances as 'existing' and separate from the lease.

Last edited by MrRational; 06-19-2018 at 10:47 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,578,768 times
It could be an electrical issue - rule that out first.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:48 AM

What kind of electrical issue?

They are month to month. We plan on getting rid of all of these tenants (we have five units of these guys that are manual labor for a local factory, we actually rent to the factory and the factory sub-leases because none of these guys have any credit and have inadequate income, the factory deducts from their wages). We were hoping to keep them in longer to keep the rent until we were ready to remodel their units. But you may be right, it may be best to just cut them loose. I was already going to say that today when I talk to their office lady (there is a major language barrier with the actual tenants/workers).

Old 06-19-2018, 10:52 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,578,768 times
Outlet could be bad
Fuse could be bad
Circuit could be overloaded
Possible GFCI or AFCI issue

Tons of things could be causing an intermittent electrical gremlin.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:00 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Best to get an Electrician Before the problem causes a Fire...

Old 06-19-2018, 11:31 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
I'd have an electrician check the wall outlet and the circuit breaker to make sure all of that is OK and working correctly. Voltage fluctuations and power surges could damage your stove.

There is not much to break on an electric stove. Repairs are pretty easy. I'm having problems trying to think what a tenant could break frequently.

If his rent is due to go up, that means renewal time. Give him notice that he is not being renewed. I'm not sure how big a problem it is with the stove since I haven't seen it, but I do know that I will never keep a tenant who threatens me. Talking about a lawyer for an ordinary, legal, action ( raising rent) is clearly a threat. Give him notice quick, because after his lawyer contacts you, you have to be careful about a retaliatory eviction.

Just non-renew. That's the safest way to get him out.

Be sure to give the factory notice that your bad tenant can't stay. I doubt that it would be necessary to terminate the contract with them or to kick everyone out. The factory will simply move in a different worker. It's not like they can find a dozen other landlords to rent to m them like you do. They aren't going to endanger your relationship by trying to bully you. You don't have to give them a reason. Just say you need to have your unit returned and they are welcome to put a different worker in there.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:12 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,235,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
One of our tenants has had incessant issues with his stove. It has been fixed at least once and replaced at least twice (once with a used one from another unit that had no issues before going to him, most recently with a brand new one).

There have been one or two times where it at least appeared like normal wear and tear.

I just got another complaint about his stove not working. I haven't seen it this time yet, but I'm not sure how to handle this when it certainly appears to be a problem unique to him, but we can't prove it's due to his actions (how do you even break a stove this often?).

In the past it's been that it doesn't work properly, one burner doesn't work, then no burners work, and when we go in the stove isn't clean.

It is a typical electric range/oven combo, the cheapest one from Lowe's usually (which should still last MANY years).

Now he's complaining and talking about an attorney (rent is going up according to his lease, but maintenance is dropping). We take care of things as needed, but this guy has more than his share of complaints. We don't have a maintenance guy right now, but we are taking care of critical issues as they arise (as in an AC gets fixed that day, a loose drawer handle will have to wait).
That is on my list of unacceptable behavior. Two things I do NOT put up with is this and verbal abuse to myself or my workers/employees. Get him out it isn't worth the hassle any longer.

As for the problems I'd have an electrician take a look, would run me about $150 to diagnose a problem. There's a problem someplace outside of the range I'd bet as they aren't too complex so aren't overly prone to breaking from use. Saying that, if he is using the range to heat the unit (unlikely this time of year) it could quickly accelerate wear. I've seen it once where someone had the range open and the burners on instead of running the heater.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Life as a property manager became so much better when I stopped furnishing free standing appliances about 20 years ago... and not a problem in my market whatsoever.

Half of me emergency calls were appliance related... refrigerator went out with $600 of steak for 4th of July BBQ or stove went out on Thanksgiving... etc.

You are committed now if included... but something to think about going forward.

Examples... had a smooth top electric range top shatter... tenant said just happened... later it came out child was standing on it to get to cookies in cupboard.

Refrigerator Leaks... inside was very dirty with spilled food blocking drain to condensate pan.

Too many handles and fridge shelves broken to mention...

I did have a tenant wear out electric cooktops like clock work... they cooked all the time and had large pots of rice on the stove all day long...

Another electric range problem is people removing the elements and not knowing how to put them back...

Old 06-25-2018, 08:21 AM

Well, I don't know where you are, but appliances are a pretty standard item for rentals. I've lived in very populated areas and very rural, and both always included a refrigerator and stove. That's why most people rent, because they won't want to hassle with all the constant maintenance and repairs of everything. So I can't imagine making it standard that the basic appliances aren't included. I know I would turn around and walk out laughing if someone tried to tell me that.

I guess if it was all single family homes, that would be different. But definitely not acceptable in apartments anywhere I've ever been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting