Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2018, 06:59 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Yep! If that is their goal, then they are welcome to pursue it.
No one said that is their life goal, although if it is, that is fine. I began by saying I prefer the privacy and peace of a SFH, then we all started to discuss the financial benefits.

To me, it represents a more private and peaceful life. My income is too low to probably ever qualify and I am too old to begin a new, lucrative career course (plus, I work full-time). I get sad about it and wish I had the option to at least know it is a future option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 02:53 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
You make some interesting points. I am not very social - I don't even like running into people when I go to get the mail or their large dogs (I am afraid of large dogs). I think for an introverted person apartment (or condo) life can be less enjoyable than it is for a social person.
IDK about that....my mom is extremely introverted. She has extreme social anxiety. She stressed for years about having to live closer to people. She LOVES her independent living community. She is embroiled in gossip, has people to eat dinner when she wants to, stays home when she doesn't, and is more active in her neighborhood than she ever was in her suburban split level. I believe this has dramatically improved her quality of life. She sometimes even complains about being lonely....I think her anxiety was made worse by her isolation and she blamed it on the people she felt excluded by.

So it's hard to say how people will react in a truly different environment............

Old 12-25-2018, 02:59 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
At the end of 10 years of renting, you have nothing. At the end of 10 years of home ownership, you have equity. That is pretty much the bottom line and I do worry for my future since I am older and alone. I understand you have to "fix" stuff in your own home. But given the cost of most rentals (and I don't mean renting from some lady whose kid has gone off to college and she is filling the spare room, but rather market rents).

Again, I can only speak for South Florida, though.

You don't need to stay in a house the rest of your life (although that would be my choice given my age).
Um, not necessarily.
My first three houses I barely broke even on. I never added up maintenance costs bcause I can't be sure I didn't lose money. In that area I could have just as easily invested my equity in something else and rented.

The house I currently own is in a hot hot hot area so it is making money.

In the place I currently live it is harder...real estate maintains or gains value, but the HOA fees are high and I'm not sure the math works here for buying either. I'm trying to find a Non HOA house.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
You make some interesting points. I am not very social - I don't even like running into people when I go to get the mail or their large dogs (I am afraid of large dogs). I think for an introverted person apartment (or condo) life can be less enjoyable than it is for a social person.
No, condo like is extremely isolating if you want it to be. I have been living in condos/apartments for many years, hardly ever have spoken to a single person. I been living in my current one for almost ten years, never even spoken to my neighbors, lol. I could not even identify who they are in a photo lineup.

Opposite of a neighborhood where there is the mentality of "let's get to know the neighbors" between people.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, condo like is extremely isolating if you want it to be. I have been living in condos/apartments for many years, hardly ever have spoken to a single person. I been living in my current one for almost ten years, never even spoken to my neighbors, lol. I could not even identify who they are in a photo lineup.

Opposite of a neighborhood where there is the mentality of "let's get to know the neighbors" between people.
+1. Maybe a handful of the people in my building speak English, so the social expectations are nothing more than a nod “Hello†in the laundry room or the sidewalk. I think the most interacting I did this year was teaching my neighbor the word “shovel†(long story short, she was digging her bike out with a sauce pan because she didn’t know enough of the language to ask to borrow a shovel). Otherwise, I can go weeks without interacting, beyond the normal, brief greetings/pleasantries.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:42 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Your living arrangement (apartment, condo, single family home etc...) does not dictate your level of isolation or integration into your community. It's very easy to be an isolate shut-in in an apartment/condo/townhome etc... just like it's easy to become very social and part of the community in a Single family home. It's about you, not the walls surrounding you.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:21 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,392 times
I just remembered another bad thing about renting...needing a reference! I had rented the same apartment for over 11 years and before that rented from a guy who had died years ago.

So if I hadn't found my house to buy, I would've had to rent again and would only have that landlady of 11 years for a reference.

We were very sick of each other at the end, so I'm not sure if she would've given me a good reference. Basically I only had her and she could've really screwed me over.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:25 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I just remembered another bad thing about renting...needing a reference! I had rented the same apartment for over 11 years and before that rented from a guy who had died years ago.

So if I hadn't found my house to buy, I would've had to rent again and would only have that landlady of 11 years for a reference.

We were very sick of each other at the end, so I'm not sure if she would've given me a good reference. Basically I only had her and she could've really screwed me over.
When they ask for a reference it could just be a friend who can vouch for you that you are an honest or good person. If they ask for your past landlord info that's different but most know only to tell if you have any missed payments or other problems and that they can be sued for bad mouthing you. But yeah, once you own you never have to worry about nonsense like that.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:11 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,231 times
Quote:
No one said that is their life goal, although if it is, that is fine. I began by saying I prefer the privacy and peace of a SFH, then we all started to discuss the financial benefits.

To me, it represents a more private and peaceful life. My income is too low to probably ever qualify and I am too old to begin a new, lucrative career course (plus, I work full-time). I get sad about it and wish I had the option to at least know it is a future option.
Of course not. Some are inferring it needs to be everyone's life goal, or you are "throwing away money" or are irresponsible. My point is either by circumstance or by choice, it's perfectly valid to decide not to buy because you prioritize other things--even non-financial.

I don't think that is a wrong per se, but that's where the disagreement in the thread is.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:57 AM

486 posts, read 416,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
\\

I don't agree. It isn't cheaper to buy because you have higher expenses when you do. House insurance and utilities costs are approx. 10X what an apartment would cost. In an apartment you don't need plumbers, electricians, fixtures, furnace or A/C maintenance, lawn-mowers and garden tools, furniture for many rooms,
and you don't spend the entire weekend cleaning house and doing yard-work. It's great when you first buy but after a while the burden starts to take its toll. There is more at stake when you buy, more responsibility.
So if a job is lost there is more at stake than with renting. Foreclosure is a greater worry.
This is wrong because you are comparing apples (renting an apartment) to oranges (buying a house). You can rent a single family home and buy a condo. So taking such different examples to compare will not get you an accurate comparison at all. Renting a house vs buying the same house will be cheaper long term to own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting