Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 11:20 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Yes, I know, but I'm one who will give them enough rope to hang themselves too. I'm a nice person so don't like to rock the boat too soon and it has to be really important to me for me to go rouge on them.

I didn't ask for first and last, or security deposit, trying to be considerate of people's financial position. I didn't charge for the background check either. Maybe, if I DID I'd get a better class of renter.
Yeah, you should charge them, some will just not even bother to apply because they know it's a waste of their money, if you choose you can return the fee to them after they are move in.

Don't give people too much rope or they will hang you,

There are predators out there looking for kind people who they perceive as suckers.

Always get at least half a month's rent for security deposit. I would never rent without first and security deposits.

You are not doing this for charity. If a person doesn't have access to $550 plus $550 deposit you don't need their problems becoming yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I did consider that, actually, but I really need to get back to work and can't do that and work. I also considered buying a Class C RV and renting out my house. I could get $1,000 month for that. But no, I can't do that. I like my house!
If you can buy an RV and hook it up to your plumbing and electric you can rent it out as a studio for $400,

If you have a way to separate the room and the bathroom and sitting room, have a small sink put in to create a mini kitchen, hot plate, fridge, and counter top convection oven, and have a private entrance, you may be able to close that are off and rent it as a studio for $600 a month.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Sounds good to me! This gal actually offered to 'help' with housework but wanted to either reduce the rent or pay her $10.50 hour! I figure if two people, or more, live in the same house they should ALL pitch in. My COPD kicks my butt royally sometimes and I'm seriously thinking about hiring a housekeeper for once a month "GOOD" cleaning. These rooms would be good for a student. There's internet/wifi included and a desk and chair to work from. I like things cute, cozy and comfortable...my Three C's. This gal has been here a month and she's still got bags and bags all over the place. At least it's confined to HER space.
Oh you should look to see if any exchange students need a room, some places look for people who need that and they pay for it but some of them you need to feed the kids and drive them around, but maybe not, and you also get paid extra for all the other things.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
My house is very affordable. It's why I bought it rather than pay the high rents, plus everything thing else, here.
I think you really need to do the math, because when you rent you don't deal with this:

Quote:

Just this week I am spending $3,000 to get my house re-leveled and fix a myriad of problems under my house. The previous owners were pretty derelict about a lot of things.
I'm just trying to introduce the idea that the cost of the house itself is not your only consideration when you are determining your total cost of living. There may be condo communities you can buy into where all or most major maintenance is covered, and you wouldn't have to worry about finding a stranger to subsidize your expenses who won't make you feel uncomfortable in your own home.

I also think that if you are not good at confrontation you should not be a landlord.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I think you really need to do the math, because when you rent you don't deal with this:

I'm just trying to introduce the idea that the cost of the house itself is not your only consideration when you are determining your total cost of living. There may be condo communities you can buy into where all or most major maintenance is covered, and you wouldn't have to worry about finding a stranger to subsidize your expenses who won't make you feel uncomfortable in your own home.

I also think that if you are not good at confrontation you should not be a landlord.
With a condo you have to live under other people's rules. You also have no choice when a project is done or how much they will pay or if someone on the board will recommend their nephew to do it or get a kick back from a contractor.

If there is not a reserve in place with a good amount, meaning you and everyone else is paying $200 extra a month to put aside for when the rood needs to be redone or some other major problem comes up that means you will have to pay a huge assessment to get the work done.

Many home repairs can be put off or repaired instead of replaced such as a roof leak, if you have a home and the central AC goes out you can buy a few $120 window AC units a condo won't allow them even if it's an emergency.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
With a condo you have to live under other people's rules. You also have no choice when a project is done or how much they will pay or if someone on the board will recommend their nephew to do it or get a kick back from a contractor.

If there is not a reserve in place with a good amount, meaning you and everyone else is paying $200 extra a month to put aside for when the rood needs to be redone or some other major problem comes up that means you will have to pay a huge assessment to get the work done.
Those are the kinds of problems that can be ferreted out with a good real estate agent and due diligence. Even so, I would prefer the very rare incidence of a rogue nephew kickback over having a messy, domineering stranger camped out in my living room and probably going through my stuff when I leave the house.

Quote:
Many home repairs can be put off or repaired instead of replaced such as a roof leak, if you have a home and the central AC goes out you can buy a few $120 window AC units a condo won't allow them even if it's an emergency.
That just sounds like excuses to me.

The OP is 76 years old and trolling for renters online, making herself vulnerable and miserable. No one should have to go through that, and I would certainly exhaust ALL other options to stay in my own private affordable living quarters, no matter how small, rather than go through the crap she's described here.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Those are the kinds of problems that can be ferreted out with a good real estate agent and due diligence. Even so, I would prefer the very rare incidence of a rogue nephew kickback over having a messy, domineering stranger camped out in my living room and probably going through my stuff when I leave the house.

That just sounds like excuses to me.

The OP is 76 years old and trolling for renters online, making herself vulnerable and miserable. No one should have to go through that, and I would certainly exhaust ALL other options to stay in my own private affordable living quarters, no matter how small, rather than go through the crap she's described here.
With a condo you are still responsible for everything that happens inside, just like a homeowner. If your AC if your property and not communal then you are responsible for that too, or if not the air handler inside, plus hot water heater, appliances, plumbing, electrical, washer and dryer if you are lucky enough to not have to use the public laundry room. etc. Some times a condo can be a good buy if the HOA fees are reasonable and it's well run and there are no nosy people on the HOA board. Plus you have to share walls or floors or ceilings with people, but the outside maintenance is not your problem so that's the biggest advantage, but you lose out on a private backyard if you have a pet. But a condo if you get a great deal on it is always much better than renting.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:28 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Yeah, you should charge them, some will just not even bother to apply because they know it's a waste of their money, if you choose you can return the fee to them after they are move in.

Don't give people too much rope or they will hang you,

There are predators out there looking for kind people who they perceive as suckers.

Always get at least half a month's rent for security deposit. I would never rent without first and security deposits.

You are not doing this for charity. If a person doesn't have access to $550 plus $550 deposit you don't need their problems becoming yours.

What I meant by the "rope" comment was if someone does/or doesn't do something that's expected of them I won't say anything right away. For instance the fact that this lady has had her bathroom torn up for three weeks...claims it's "filthy", which is NOT true...and I think I have every right to let her know I find this unacceptable and by giving her time she's making it tougher on herself. Also, the other two rooms are still a 'move in mess' with stuff all over the place. Yesterday I had a contractor here and he had to go into those rooms. I was embarrassed.

Yes, I will be asking for more money up front from now on. They can either pay it or they can't. And no, not for "charity". I have done that enough in the past and, yep, it usually backfires.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
If you can buy an RV and hook it up to your plumbing and electric you can rent it out as a studio for $400,

If you have a way to separate the room and the bathroom and sitting room, have a small sink put in to create a mini kitchen, hot plate, fridge, and counter top convection oven, and have a private entrance, you may be able to close that are off and rent it as a studio for $600 a month.

Can't do the RV rental thing in my neighborhood.

No way to separate any of those rooms and no private entrance. Maybe I should just move her out to the garage. lol No, that is strictly for my car.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Oh you should look to see if any exchange students need a room, some places look for people who need that and they pay for it but some of them you need to feed the kids and drive them around, but maybe not, and you also get paid extra for all the other things.

I don't live in a college town, except for the one community college here. Exchange students generally have families they live with and I rarely ever hear about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting