Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 10:08 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times

Advertisements

Mace or Pepper spray.... Gives her a chance to run
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 07:24 AM

22 posts, read 10,679 times
Hopefully, that won't be an issue Katie. But, we will keep it in mind.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:15 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico73 View Post
My daughter (single) is planning to move from a single family home to a condo. She's narrowed it down to 2 choices, both in equally nice gated communities.
She wants to live on the second floor, with another condo beneath her.

Which do you think would be safer from burglary risk?

1. Open stairs that you walk upstairs to the front door on a shared porch. The stairs & porch are shared by your adjoining neighbor. No windows on the porch area at all. Typical apartment style stairs.
No balcony or patio.

or
2. A condo with a window and your private locked front door entry downstairs, that you walk up interior stairs to get to the rest of your unit which is on the second floor. No one else uses those stairs, they are inside your unit. Unit #2 also has a nice balcony.

She likes condo number 2 much better, but is concerned about the risk of an easier break in while she's upstairs.
Mostly due to the lone window by the door on ground level by the parking lot.

I don't really see much of a difference in safety risk in either one. Do you?
Thank you
My choice would be #1 if safety is the main consideration because the window by the door in the #2 option can easily be broken into. That's why police tell anyone who has windows along side a door is at a higher risk. Plus the fact that once the perp entered the downstairs door (#2) they would be not be visible from the outside while they climbed up the stairs to enter the unit.

She will have to decide if safety or the balcony is her priority.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:28 PM

Thank you, Katie. I see your point. If somebody quietly forces the downstairs window open at night in condo #2, then creeps up the stairs - she is trapped and possibly stuck in bed, as the balcony is in the living room. Way too risky.

I'll let her know that she needs to focus on the first one with the exposed stairs. Much more secure.

Part of me felt a bit leery of the inner entrance stairway to begin with, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why.
You nailed it Katie, much appreciated!

Thank you very much!
Thank you to all the posters that helped, reps given. Very helpful! : )

Old 01-09-2019, 01:45 PM

6,357 posts, read 4,175,527 times
Gated community in a good area with a dog, (as long as can bark at all) don’t think this is a concern at all!

Old 01-09-2019, 02:41 PM

Thanks, Rick. Yes, a dog is a great deterrent, along with the gated entry. Thankfully, both complexes allow pets.

I'm going to explain everything that the posters on here stated, and strongly suggest the security features of condo #1 outweigh the design of #2.

Last edited by Calico73; 01-09-2019 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 03:41 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico73 View Post
Thank you, Katie. I see your point. If somebody quietly forces the downstairs window open at night in condo #2, then creeps up the stairs - she is trapped and possibly stuck in bed, as the balcony is in the living room. Way too risky.

I'll let her know that she needs to focus on the first one with the exposed stairs. Much more secure.

Part of me felt a bit leery of the inner entrance stairway to begin with, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why.
You nailed it Katie, much appreciated!

Thank you very much!
Thank you to all the posters that helped, reps given. Very helpful! : )
You're very welcome! You and your daughter are very wise to be diligent in searching for her new home.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
I'm going to offer a different opinion here. I think #2 would be safer.

Maybe it's the way I imagine the stairs in condo #1 since you described them like apartment stairs. I'm imagining a staircase that is outside with an outside porch and then 2 entry doors to two condos. One does not have to enter a door to reach any stairs. Anyone can walk up those stairs at any time. Even though it's a gated community a person within the gates can walk up. Because it's on the second floor it maybe a bit less noticed.

For condo #2 I'm imagining either a door with a window, a side light window, or some other smaller type window. I can't imagine in a condo it would be large for an entry door. Criminals enter where they are least likely to be caught. On a first floor a person breaking glass or pushing in a door is more likely to be noticed. It's a bit more in plain sight compared to a second floor entry up some stairs.

BTW--escaping via a second story window in a bedroom is not that different than escaping from a second story balcony if one needs to jump.

Just my thoughts.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:33 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
Can she put an alarm on the downstairs window and door? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/GE-Protection...=window+alarms

Old 01-10-2019, 07:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Just want to say just because I said #1 would be safer I'd still go with #2. It sounds like a safe hood and there's tons of cheap options for alarms on the door. Don't rule out just because one is a tiny % safer when in reality the odds of anything happening at either place is next to 0 if properly prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting