Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 04:51 PM

68 posts, read 31,605 times

Advertisements

* They are not making me pay for the move. I have a fully furnished apartment and cannot do it myself, even if it is in the next building.

* The Moving Company is costing $400 +.

* I do not know anyone here in Vegas. All my true friends and family are in Hawaii, otherwise there would be no moving cost as they would be glad to help.

* Why should I have to pay anything for the relocation?

* I have NOT received ANYTHING in writing from PM or anyone. Nothing!

* I have a signed Lease Agreement for 9 months from Jan 1, 2019 till Sept. 31, 2019 for my current unit.

* Thanks, HokieFan for the link but I already have it. I do my due diligence.

* I know I am not being evicted.

* The unit is habitable. Everything works. Just once in awhile the bathroom leaks water. When, nobody knows. Sometimes months go by and nothing. Not putrid or dirty water, that's why it never smells.

* That's why I said that I can deal with it. Just use 3-6 paper towels util the water has been removed then wet Swifter and done (15 mins).

* I have duct taped the perimeter of the bathroom floor and toilet. So far, no leaks.

* I have not complained or refused to move. NO ONE has contacted me since I was told that I have to relocate. Nada. That was last week. Suppose to move Feb. 1.

* I know some things are out of my control. Not trying to control anything. Just hopeful to reach an amicable solution.

* When first told I have to relocate , I went home to call the moving company that PM uses and other moving companies. Found out how much then went back and said I cannot afford that and just let me stay where I am. Nope, you have to relocate. Sure does not sound like it is someone who will pay for any part of the relocation.

* I do not know if the other unit is available as it was being refurbished.

* I am not keeping anything up. What do you want me to do? I have to initiate contact not the PM? I am not the one requesting a relocation.

I hope I have addressed all the questions or suggestions. To think that all this started because I told the Office my bathroom is leaking again. That's why it makes me think that why complain about ANYTHING when this might happen.

I AM NOT DEMEANING OR DISRESPECTING ANY OWNER, PM OR LL HERE. I would like to think or hope that these individuals have more of a Bipartisan like approach.

Thanks for the responses and feel free to post,
Robert

Last edited by Roberteyewhy; 01-24-2019 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 05:46 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I moved mid lease. From 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom. There was No added costs. I did NOT have to pay off the Old Lease nor come up with more Security Deposit. My new lease started 2 Weeks After the move. Friends got together & Hand Carried Everything over Even made the beds put shelves together, etc. My total cost was 2 large pizza & 2 6-pack of sodas & $20 to have another neighbor Super Clean the old apt.

Some people just seem to make mole hills into Mountains. sheesh

Thought you liked your neighbors.... duh. ANOTHER thing You can do is Advertise for Help. FaceBook has ALL kinds of people Begging to a days work. Even a few hours. Join FB Join one of those Sale Sites on FB In YOUR area.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...epa=SEARCH_BOX

Last edited by Katie1; 01-24-2019 at 06:00 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I moved mid lease. From 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom. There was No added costs. I did NOT have to pay off the Old Lease nor come up with more Security Deposit. My new lease started 2 Weeks After the move. Friends got together & Hand Carried Everything over Even made the beds put shelves together, etc. My total cost was 2 large pizza & 2 6-pack of sodas & $20 to have another neighbor Super Clean the old apt.

Thought you liked your neighbors.... duh. ANOTHER thing You can do is Advertise for Help. FaceBook has ALL kinds of people Begging to a days work. Even a few hours. Join FB Join one of those Sale Sites on FB In YOUR area.
I am glad you had a seamless transition. Sounds like you have a great Owner, PM or LL...know you have true friends.

I do like my neighbors. But, not friends just acquaintances...we get along.

That's a wonderful idea, Katie. Did not think about that. I am a FB member, but do not do social media. Will look into that though.

Thanks for taking the time to locate the FB Nevada link.

Thanks, Katie,
Robert

P.S. Love the Sig. Used to be me when I was young.

Last edited by Roberteyewhy; 01-24-2019 at 06:32 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 08:54 PM

6,459 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...epa=SEARCH_BOX
I'd shell out for a moving company before I hired who-knows-who on Craigslist. "Hey, random stranger! I am a female living alone, you now know where that is, here is a preview of everything I own, and let's be alone together in my apartment!" No way in he11.

Not everyone has people who can help them (family/friends in the area, acquaintances that they want to inconvenience). It sucks, but there it is.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:15 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Contact a local church youth group or Boy Scout troop. They might take it on as a service project.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:49 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberteyewhy View Post
* They are not making me pay for the move. I have a fully furnished apartment and cannot do it myself, even if it is in the next building.

You can hire movers through Uhaul's website. You don't have to be renting a Uhaul to do so. They list different moving companies, including their prices. I've hired movers through there 4 times, and never paid more than $100.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:19 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I'd shell out for a moving company before I hired who-knows-who on Craigslist. "Hey, random stranger! I am a female living alone, you now know where that is, here is a preview of everything I own, and let's be alone together in my apartment!" No way in he11.

Not everyone has people who can help them (family/friends in the area, acquaintances that they want to inconvenience). It sucks, but there it is.
Poster is a Guy! But being Single Female for 63+ years Not asking for help from strangers I would never get a thing done.
You will never make friends until you say Hello & get to know some one.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You can hire movers through Uhaul's website. You don't have to be renting a Uhaul to do so. They list different moving companies, including their prices. I've hired movers through there 4 times, and never paid more than $100.
You are the MAN or WOMAN!

Still hope I need not relocate, but eventually I must. It's good to know about U-haul's website.

Thanks so much,
Robert

P.S. Thanks K12144, Okey Dokie and (Hello) Katie for taking the time to post.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:04 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberteyewhy View Post

You just need a couple of guys to move your big stuff. You can rent/buy a dolly at Home Depot and use that to move all your boxes/small stuff yourself. Will cost way less than $400.

* Why should I have to pay anything for the relocation?

In an ideal world, you would not. But, I imagine that either the PM is not legally obligated to help or figures it'll be too much trouble for you to pursue. Sometimes, life's not fair. If you just have a couple of guys move your big stuff, it probably won't be more than $100 or so. Do you want to stress out over this amount?

* I have NOT received ANYTHING in writing from PM or anyone. Nothing!

I've never rented from an apartment complex. Does your lease bind you to that specific unit or just to the complex in general? If the latter, a new lease would not be necessary.

* I have a signed Lease Agreement for 9 months from Jan 1, 2019 till Sept. 31, 2019 for my current unit.

Okay. And, January is almost over. Seems you're stressing a lot over an 8 month living situation.

* I know I am not being evicted.

And yet, you've used this word repeatedly throughout the thread to describe what's going on.

* The unit is habitable. Everything works. Just once in awhile the bathroom leaks water. When, nobody knows. Sometimes months go by and nothing. Not putrid or dirty water, that's why it never smells.

This is your assessment. I would imagine, though, that it would not be the assessment of 99+% of renters. Most renters would happily move to a unit with a couple of scratches on the kitchen counter top to not have to worry about leak issues.

From the PM's perspective: There is a leak. They haven't been able to figure out how to stop it. Oftentimes if there is a surface leak, it means there could be much more going on in walls and under floorboards. If they let it go, this could cause much bigger issues down the road, potentially both in your current unit and any surrounding units. Plus, while they are repairing your unit, it's very likely you won't have a working bathroom, which would make you unit "uninhabitable" in probably most jurisdictions. No property owner takes on repair costs just to spite a tenant.

* I have not complained or refused to move. NO ONE has contacted me since I was told that I have to relocate. Nada. That was last week. Suppose to move Feb. 1.

Would you like them to contact you everyday? They've told you what the recourse is. What more is there to reiterate?

* I know some things are out of my control. Not trying to control anything. Just hopeful to reach an amicable solution.

In the PM's mind, an "amicable solution" has been reached. They are going to provide you with a comparable unit. The repairs are going to get done. The only other solution would be to void your lease and have you move out of the complex.

* When first told I have to relocate , I went home to call the moving company that PM uses and other moving companies. Found out how much then went back and said I cannot afford that and just let me stay where I am. Nope, you have to relocate. Sure does not sound like it is someone who will pay for any part of the relocation.

Why would you only call one moving company to get a quote?

* I am not keeping anything up. What do you want me to do? I have to initiate contact not the PM? I am not the one requesting a relocation.

Again, not seeing what further contact you need from the PM. 2/1 is moving day.
My ideas in bold.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:30 AM

486 posts, read 416,428 times
As stated, if they need to tear out walls and who knows what else to get the leak fixed, you won't have a bathroom during that time. That means the unit would not be habitable. The landlord needs to correct water damage. Neglecting it can easily cause massive expenses in repairs. They can't let it go and they have to tear apart the bathroom to figure it out and get it fixed. They are happy to provide you with a comparable unit. They have done nothing wrong short of not doing this to you even sooner.

You don't have any real ground to argue the move. You can ask them to have a couple help you move your big stuff, or you can choose to pay a couple guys to help you. You can ask to see the unit you are supposed to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting