Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 08:33 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times

Advertisements

OP it's not up to you to say if it's habitable or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 08:53 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Did you already view the interior of the new unit? If they want you to move Feb 1, then you need to ensure you have walked through the unit and also that you get the keys in time for moving date. Contact the PM to coordinate this ahead of time.

If you cannot move on Feb 1, then discuss a schedule with the PM. They aren't going to keep contacting you because they assume you are moving Feb 1 as they requested this date already. You wont get a daily call asking status. They assume you got the request and are taking action. If you delay or stay put it's possible you might get an eviction notice, so be careful because this can impact your future ability to rent. landlords expect people to move per 1 request and they can take stronger steps next time - posting notice to move by X days and then eviction and this can occur swiftly.

Get quotes from a couple more moving companies and pick one. Maybe there are some less than $400. If you only feel comfortable with the $400 company that choose that one. Coordinate the schedule for moving that meets the criteria for the PM and they day you will be getting the keys. You don't want to cut it too close in case you don't get the keys in time and the moving guys show up and you don't yet have the keys to the new unit.

You can ask the PM if they can move you with their staff or if they can pay the moving company since the leak isn't your fault. Stay silent after asking them this and wait for them to answer. Ask if they moving company can bill them directly or if you can turn in the receipt for moving company and have them reimburse you. Ask them if they can check with their manager if they aren't sure. If you get agreement, get them to note this in writing even if just an email or quick note and make sure you track the person's names that approved this. Because later they might forget.

Many leases have a clause about habitability and this often voids the lease if the unit isn't habitable. It's by this clause that you can be forced out. Even if there's no clause in your lease, state law usually has wording on this too. It's for this reason that legally you might be on the hook for moving costs. Because if the landlord can get out of the lease due to habitability, they are doing you a favor by offering a replacement unit and if they choose, they can simply tell you to move out because the unit isn't habitable(and they don't have to offer replacement unit). So in reality, they might be doing you a favor by offering replacement unit because legally they might not have to do this.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:12 AM

68 posts, read 31,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
My ideas in bold.
Thank you for addressing my concerns.

In order of your replies:

1) Correct. I can do it for way less, thanks to Sundaydrive00. Good idea on the HD dolly. There are no steps between my place and the new place.

2) I will politely ask PM to pay all or some of the cost. Correct. Not worth the stress.

3) Not sure.

4) Well, I save $1,170 with the new lease. Big money to me.

5) Just to reply to someone else's post.

6) Probably so (First paragraph). I know you and many others are right about that. That's probably the attitude I would take.

7) No. But, I do not know if the new unit is finished. It was under renovation. There were tons of furniture in the Patio. Door locked. Shouldn't someone let me know that the unit is ready for occupation?

8) OK. Do not want to VOID my lease.

9) Called multiple movers.

10) Well, you do not know how this PM or the entire office people do business. As I have posted, they have a tendency to delay or ignore a lot of issues. You call to have a repair and they tell you they will give you a call back but the NEVER do. That's why the tenants had to ban together to repeatedly get in contact with Vegas 13 Action News (who came). They got sick and tired of no air and water problems that just does not get taken care of. I can go on forever on how inept they are on so many things. I pay attention and the other tenants talk to me.

So many have just moved out. They ALL despise her and I do not doubt it. 8 yrs.tenancy and just in my small section (60 units), maybe 50+ have come and gone and not a single one I have talked to has EVER said that I had a decent stay. Not one! A lot just sneak out in the dead of night.

So, what to do? Hire the movers to come on Feb. 1 only to find out that the unit is not ready to be occupied. I know there is 8 more days but...

That's why I am not doing anything in regards to contacting the PM or Office. Again, if it were you or a responsible PM or LL contact the tenant to give him/her an up-to-date appraisal of what is going on? I would and before a week the tenant has to leave their unit. At the very least, they know where they stand. As of now, I do not.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 01-25-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
OP it's not up to you to say if it's habitable or not.
I know that. What do I have to do, preface everything I say with IMO.

OPTIONS, please.

Thanks,
Robert

Last edited by Roberteyewhy; 01-25-2019 at 09:47 AM..

Old 01-25-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Did you already view the interior of the new unit? If they want you to move Feb 1, then you need to ensure you have walked through the unit and also that you get the keys in time for moving date. Contact the PM to coordinate this ahead of time.
I have posted about this, just to be honest. The unit was under repair and the door was locked. However, they leave the Patio sliding door open so I went in to take a look. It's not trespassing as the door is open to a unit that I am supposed to be the next occupant. No harm,No foul. That's how I know the condition of the kitchen appliances and bathroom facilities.

No walk through, which I asked for, no keys, no nothing. Why do I have to coordinate with the PM? God, isn't that her responsibility? Why is it that the tenant has to do EVERYTHING and they just do nothing?

Not ranting at you or anyone, just do not get it when people keep telling me that "I" have to correspond with her first. I have stated with vigor that I do not want to relocate. It detests me to think that I initiate first contact with PM about anything to do with the relocate...like I am acquiescing. Let's not go into that anymore, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You can ask the PM if they can move you with their staff or if they can pay the moving company since the leak isn't your fault. Stay silent after asking them this and wait for them to answer. Ask if they moving company can bill them directly or if you can turn in the receipt for moving company and have them reimburse you. Ask them if they can check with their manager if they aren't sure. If you get agreement, get them to note this in writing even if just an email or quick note and make sure you track the person's names that approved this. Because later they might forget.
Good advice.

Appreciative,
Robert

Last edited by Roberteyewhy; 01-25-2019 at 10:05 AM..

Old 01-25-2019, 10:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberteyewhy View Post
I know that. What do I have to do, preface everything I say with IMO.

OPTIONS, please.

Thanks,
Robert
Just pointing it out that your thoughts on the habitability won't matter when it comes to trying to convince them you want to stay because it's habitable in your mind.

I'd do what others suggested and try to get them to pay the movers since it's not your fault you have to relocate.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
As stated, if they need to tear out walls and who knows what else to get the leak fixed, you won't have a bathroom during that time. That means the unit would not be habitable. The landlord needs to correct water damage. Neglecting it can easily cause massive expenses in repairs. They can't let it go and they have to tear apart the bathroom to figure it out and get it fixed. They are happy to provide you with a comparable unit. They have done nothing wrong short of not doing this to you even sooner.

You don't have any real ground to argue the move. You can ask them to have a couple help you move your big stuff, or you can choose to pay a couple guys to help you. You can ask to see the unit you are supposed to move to.
I agree it should have been done sooner, but the entire staff has not been here a year yet.

I did ask to see the unit. As soon as PM said you have to relocate and was given that unit.

I mean, when one goes to rent an apartment in a 300+ Complex, you would think that they would want to see what's available, so as to make an informed decision. As a LL, you know that not all 1 bedroom units at the same price point, are identical...some are just better. That's how I choose mine.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 01-25-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Just pointing it out that your thoughts on the habitability won't matter when it comes to trying to convince them you want to stay because it's habitable in your mind.

I'd do what others suggested and try to get them to pay the movers since it's not your fault you have to relocate.
I will.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 01-25-2019, 10:20 AM

Sorry people I cannot give any more "Rate this post positively." Guess because I gave everyone a positive...which I deem it to be worthy of. You have all give your insights towards addressing my dilemma, whether Pro or Con. Or more to the point, regardless if it is what I want to hear.

Appreciative,
Robert

Last edited by Roberteyewhy; 01-25-2019 at 10:51 AM..

Old 01-25-2019, 10:47 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Poster is a Guy! But being Single Female for 63+ years Not asking for help from strangers I would never get a thing done.
You will never make friends until you say Hello & get to know some one.
Men are victims of crime as well. And I'll make friends other ways than taking my chances on strangers. I've had to fend off too many odd people in my time, and have heard too many stories from others of having to do so-- and this is without even going into the realm of the dangerous-- to take that kind of chance. I'll just never be that lonely or need friends that badly, nor have I ever expected business transactions to turn into friendship after the transaction was over (I've also known many people who have met disappointment that way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting