Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 10:23 PM

35 posts, read 107,595 times

Advertisements

My apartment doesn't directly face the pool, but it's close enough that I can see/hear a lot of the activity that goes on there. Tonight as I lay in bed, I heard the sounds of children screaming outside my window and when I went on the porch and saw a huge group of people partying by the pool and young kids (age 4-6) running, playing, screaming. It's past midnight and the pool area closes at 10:00 pm.

The thing is, this happens almost daily, especially on weekends and especially by non-residents. My apartment complex is still under construction and not fully developed, so the tenant population is pretty low, yet on the weekends the parking lot is packed and the pool area is wild with parties, blaring music that goes on all night. People show up whenever they want, leave whenever they want, and it's typically way past 10:00. The next morning, the parking lot will be cleared and trash will be all over the place.

I have complained to the manager multiple times, even showing her and the staff videos I've taken from my apartment of the loud parties. There's multiple reviews from residents on the complex' website complaining about the noise and NOTHING has been done, absolutely nothing. The manager lives on the property and is very aware of the noise and partying, but just shrugs her shoulders I guess. I'm so tired of this place being treated like a hotel or a theme park because that's what it sounds like but I feel like there's nothing I can do I don't think calling the cops will work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 03:23 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,985 times
Actually the only thing that will work is calling the cops. Obviously management do not care about how property is cared for and not much you can do about that. If the noise is as bad as you say its, then depending on your town noise law, calling the cops is what should be done. If cops determine there is nothing they can do, then your next step is to either accept the situation or move.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:19 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times
You can and should call the police every single time, and give them the manager's number so that they can wake her up. But.... it's not going to get better. You should give notice and move.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:16 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Yes agreed on calling the cops. Most cities have noise ordinances after 10, and surely if they are at the pool blasting their music until the wee hours, they are violating the noise ordinance. If the people (who seem like nonresidents) know someone is going to call the cops on them every time they plan on using this pool as their personal party grounds, they may be less likely to do it.

I also agree with parentologist’s suggestion to give the manager’s number. Usually the manager will be contacted regardless, but typically pools in a community have limited access by a key for members. I lived in one condo community where it was apparently getting bad and we were told our pool keys would be revoked if we let non-residents who weren’t our personal guests into the pool. My current apartment complex and all prior complexes I’ve lived in required pool keys as well.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:49 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
might mention to the manager that they have a HUGE liability issue if someone is injured and it was shown they had easy access to the pool when they shouldn't have (attractive nuisance). If you can find out who provides insurance for the complex, might contact them.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:28 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Are these "nonresidents" as in, a resident has all their friends over, or "nonresidents" as in, just anyone shows up as if they have a right to the place because they know they can?

Old 05-04-2019, 02:02 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
It sounds like the neighbors have discovered they can use the pool for free without any consequences.

I'd find out who owns the complex and complain to them about the manager doing nothing about non-residents using the pool and being loud late at night. Also mention the liability of the small non-resident children running around inside the pool fence.

Really, if the owner won't make the property manager take action, your only real option is to move out at the end of your lease.

Old 05-04-2019, 02:03 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
How are these hooligans getting into the pool area? The pool should be securely fenced with a locked entry.

Old 05-04-2019, 02:24 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,026 times
I'm dreading summer for that exact reason. My apartment does overlook the pool. If I had a good head start, I could jump off my balcony into the pool. And when summer comes and the pool is open, at least once a week people decide it's party time at night in the pool. Even though it closes at 10. Management here tells us to call the police when it happens. It seems to be a group of older teenagers/young adults. They climb over the fence to get in. They prepare by pushing furniture against the inside fence so it's an easier climb back out.

I'll look forward to when we are able to move! Some of us have to work- even in the summer.

Aside from that, families around here tend to let their kids run around even after midnight screaming in the parking lot. I'm talking about 1yo-8yo kids.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:26 PM

35 posts, read 107,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
How are these hooligans getting into the pool area? The pool should be securely fenced with a locked entry.

They reach over the fence and unlock it, I've seen it happen so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting