Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 02:05 PM

45 posts, read 58,295 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment and our laundry machine started leaking 2 months ago. The landlord initially claimed it was our fault but later on she stated that she would replace it. It has been 2 months since she said that. We contacted her a few times and she kept saying the washing machine was on back order. She finally reached out last week stating she would replace it today. She came today but instead of replacing it she brought a technician to investigate why it stopped working and if the leak was our fault. In our previous emails with her she clearly indicated she would replace it today. She said she has to speak with the repair technician to see why it was leaking and she will let us know. That was not our agreement in the email.

The fact that we have not had a working laundry machine and she said she was going to replace it today and did not, do I have any legal recourse to sue her in any way in court? Our lease does state that we have laundry in the unit and that any repairs and/or replacement should be done in a adequate time frame. I do not think 2 months is adequate and to not have a working laundry machine is unacceptable. I do admit that it is not an essential necessity as we can use coin laundry but that is not was what agreed upon nor what is in our lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 02:20 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo100 View Post
...and to not have a working laundry machine is unacceptable.
The landlord initially claimed....
Yes, if the lease describes the laundry equipment then they'll need to deal with it
but not working doesn't rise to a habitability matter, meaning that dawdling over the work,
even through incompetence, isn't really actionable.

Are there OTHER maintenance/repair conditions related to habitability?

Old 05-23-2019, 03:50 PM

45 posts, read 58,295 times
No there are no other issue relating to habitability, only the washing machine not working. In my state, it does indicate that the landlord has 30 days after notifying them to repair any non-urgent issues; urgent issues being anything relating to habitability, ie: heating, gas leak, water, pests, lead paint, etc.

If the landlord does not repair the issue within 30 days, the tenant has the option to pay the rent to the gen district court through an escrow account. I am looking into this option now.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:39 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It would be a lot cheaper for you to buy a new washing machine than to hire a lawyer to file a lawsuit for you.

You can use the option of escrowing rent with the housing courts until it is repaired. If you did your proper notification and have proof of that. If you stop paying rent, I predict that will get fixed fast. But don't just stop paying rent, do the proper procedure and escrow the rent with the courts.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:39 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times
Is the washing machine in your apartment or apartment building? If it's apartment building, there is probably not much you can do. If inside apartment there is not much you can do at this point being she is in the process of either having it fixed or replaced or refusing to fix it because it's your fault. You need to let it play out.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:58 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Lack of a working washing machine isn't a "habitability" issue.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
If you go the route of escrowing rent, you can kiss goodbye your chance of having the lease renewed.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:47 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo100 View Post
No there are no other issue relating to habitability, only the washing machine not working. In my state, it does indicate that the landlord has 30 days after notifying them to repair any non-urgent issues; urgent issues being anything relating to habitability, ie: heating, gas leak, water, pests, lead paint, etc.

If the landlord does not repair the issue within 30 days, the tenant has the option to pay the rent to the gen district court through an escrow account. I am looking into this option now.
Might want to be careful with withholding rent. It’s a specific thing that is used for specific reasons... usually habitability. You can’t withhold rent over a washing machine as it is not a habitability issue. It’s a inconvenience for sure but it does not make your unit uninhabitable. So you may find yourself getting some late fees if not eviction notices.

If you were to sue you would need a monetary amount for damages. Basically you would need to calculate the amount of laundry loads you do for the duration of your lease. You would need to figure out your cost to go to a laundromat, like the amount of fuel/wear tear on your vehicle/mileage cost and what assuming you work, the income amount you would be losing in that amount of time that now you are doing laundry at a laundromat to get a actual “damage “ figure.

I had a rental that I offered a washer dryer in my lease. After multiple calls to a repair service, actual replacement of the unit twice in I think three years at $500 a pop, I simply sent a proper notice that W/D wil no longer be offered once these machines break. The hookups are available if tenants want to get their own washer dryer. I no longer offer washer/dryer in any of my rentals.

The reason the machines kept breaking was due to excessive overloading and I later found out that more people than the ones who resided there were using the machine.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:45 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Why don’t you text your LL (so you have a record of this) and say you now have waited x amt of time and today you were told a new washer was coming but it did not happen. Suggest (“lets agree next month’s rent will be $50 less for this trouble”) you reduce your next rent $50 for the costs and inconvenience to use a laundromat and remind her that you need this remedied immediately.

You should get a response. At this point, I wouldn’t worry about angering the LL!

Old 05-27-2019, 11:35 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
You can withold rent beyond the lame squawking here that it's only for "habitabilty" reasons. If the oven is not working and you gave adequate notice without any resolution, you can withold it. Notification is key. Along with active cooperation with both sides.
So too with most appliances that were there since the lease began. One case was about a window a/c. Tenant witheld rent and landlord sued for the rent. Judge ruled in favor of tenant . Repairs commonly are on the landlords to repair .
Our closet door went off track. They could argue with us that we flung it to quickly..or they could simply repair it. Somethings just need repaired. Most landlords pick their battles and understand wear and tear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting