Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 01:08 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times

Advertisements

Also for People that are Allergic to dogs!

I think that Mini Horses were trained cause the Doodle Dog experiment FAILED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 01:11 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
... Real service animals are actually quite rare. I get a lot of applicants with untrained pitbull "service dogs", though. I hear from a couple of them with every vacancy.
I agree.

I have gotten a bunch of people telling me about their 'emotional support' animals.

In this state, there is no law to define what an 'emotional support' animal is, or what [if any] training they have.

I have been in conversations where the consensus is that tenants are trying to use the sympathy of a LL to argue that their untrained lizard, snake, or ferret is legally required to be allowed into an apartment.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:20 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Keep in mind No Guide Dog or Mini Horse can be Home Trained. So doubt that any one could Con a LL into excepting them.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:28 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
In my 30 years of working with people with disabilities not one has ever had a horse as a service animal. Service dogs are well trained and amazing. Besides helping the blind they also help people with stability issues and use them to keep from falling. Some can alert people to a pending seizure so they can lay down so they don’t hurt themselves, etc. All the fake service dogs are really hurting the legitimate ones.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:30 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I agree.

I have gotten a bunch of people telling me about their 'emotional support' animals.

In this state, there is no law to define what an 'emotional support' animal is, or what [if any] training they have.

I have been in conversations where the consensus is that tenants are trying to use the sympathy of a LL to argue that their untrained lizard, snake, or ferret is legally required to be allowed into an apartment.
Maine's definition certainly allows for a lizard, snake or ferret to be legally classified as an Assistance Animal for the purpose of housing. Maine's disability laws does expand the definition of allowable animals that normally would be under the ADA for public accommodations (public spaces, businesses, hotels, etc, but not rental housing) so they can narrowly define the accepted expansion under state law. However, as it applies to rental housing under the FHA, Maine has no law that would restrict an otherwise accepted animal under federal law.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:19 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
I have a friend with a mini horse as her service animal. He is truly wonderful; his size was around d the same as my large golden retriever (he does weigh more), so his size is not an issue.

He is house broken and uses a bell to notify my friend when he needs to go out and when they are out in public he has some sort of 'catchall' that he wears to help with the public freaking out.

My heart broke when my beloved service dog died from cancer when he was 12 years old. Although, I needed another SD desperately it took me a few years to get a new one (luckily I do not work or go to school so it was easier on me without a dog).

To have an service animal with a 30 year life span is truly wonderous and he is excellent as a guide.

As with any service animal it is the owner that has to ensure that the animal behaves properly and that the animal relives itself in the proper area.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:26 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
How could a mini horse quality as a guide animal? That one stumps me.

My brother had guide dogs but they are well trained and very intelligent.
Mini horses actually make excellent guiding animals, just like dogs, if properly trained. They live for up to 40-some years and therefore do not pass on so early like a trained dog. They can be therapy approved like a dog. A true mini isn't bigger than a Great Dane. Ones I've seen go up to about 25 inches tall.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:59 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

Would a person who needs the help of a service animal, also be able to handle the rigors and demands of caring for a horse? Do they need to hire someone to take care of the horse? Seems fairly counter productive.

For those and many more reasons, I wouldn't rent to someone with a mini guide horse. Perhaps they should be looking at places such as a farm which would be more suitable for them.
I have read some commentary on this. All of the specialized care a horse needs a mini horse needs. Farrier visits, teeth floating, de-worming.

If the recommendation is that the horse live outside with an appropriate shelter when not needed is a landlord obligated to provide that shelter?

Old 10-20-2019, 01:55 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
........If the recommendation is that the horse live outside with an appropriate shelter when not needed is a landlord obligated to provide that shelter?

The landlord must allow the disabled tenant to modify a dwelling to allow for their disability but that is at the tenant's own expense, must be done by a licensed contractor, done with building permits, and must return the premises to the original state at the tenant's own expense.

So, I am going to guess that the landlord must allow the tenant to build a stable at the tenant's own expense. Built by a licensed and bonded contractor with permits.

If a tenant is going to spend that much money, they might as well buy their own house instead of renting.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:58 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
By the way, horses do not live to be thirty years old, with very very few exceptions, and they most certainly do not live to be 40 years old.

If you managed to get a horse up to the age of thirty, it would be a very old, very tired senior citizen animal, and not up to long hours of work that required mental sharpness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting