Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 06:45 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
You are legally required to pay your rent on time or face eviction. The landlord is NOT legally required to upgrade. If your not happy with the mailboxes, carpet, lobby or washers, you move out.
Not even a new paint job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 07:42 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
Nobody is complaining about upgrades and nobody said it was required.

What I WAS complaining about was the $700 monthly increase over the 7 years (and didn't even mention the additional $25 per month for my garage and $20 per month for the 2 pets)... "keeping up with the market" is the standard BS excuse to justify the $1200 per year rent increase that I've paid since I moved in.

Still using the same 7+ year old washer/dryer and dishwasher that have been showing their age for 2+ years with repair issues. My additional rent is obviously being well spent.

Good thing I can afford it. Why am I staying? Because overall it's not a bad place to live. Besides running old appliances overall the place is very nice. I'm one of 420+ units with something like 16 units per building. Parking is horrible but it's gotten better since new management implemented parking permits a few years ago. Still, I'll keep my car and motorcycle in my garage.

Probably will be out next year though... time to get a house. COVID-19 kept me here another year unfortunately. Perfect timing with my April renewal.

Target date now is April 5th, 2021.

That's about the increase that we see in our Seattle Eastlake rental, about $100./mn
We've been absorbing the increases since our purchase, 2015, infact we lowered the previous owner's rent, installed new refrig, waterheater, range, and let tenants use a portable AC (window AC's are not allowed). I told the PM that we will have to minimiize or at least, arrest the widening spread between rent and expenses. Then Covid19 hit, the tenants have lost their jobs and renewal is May 01, which is now negotiated to monthly. I told PM that we will work with tenants.

JMO, it is unfortunate that rents are increasing because of taxes and insurance and maintenance. But the alternatives are much worse to renters.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:49 PM

903 posts, read 862,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Not even a new paint job?

Why? You’re not my husband.

If you want a new paint job, live beneath your means, save money, and then buy your own place. <————-

Old 04-08-2020, 12:03 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
So people don't continue to think I'm a cruel totally heartless landlord, I and my partners met this morning with the PMC to discuss rent payment issues. So far, we have not received any request for rent considerations. The only request we have received was from studios, agencies, management companies and teams to have the tenant's rent billing switched to their office. However, recognizing that the worst may still come, we have decided out of the goodness of our heart (and to qualify for government emergency financial assistance to businesses) we will not be raising any rents for the next 6 months.

Additionally, we have requested permission from the municipality to close off the open public courtyard (required as a stipulation to be open and landscaped with public access) and convert it "temporarily" to tenant only use to provide residents the ability to access a garden area with reasonable ability to maintaining social distancing so they don't have to walk to some public "park" potentially exposing them to the virus.

See, we are not all heartless!

Old 04-08-2020, 12:24 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
I have been renting my place since 2014..my above the stove microwave recently died (it's very old) and my landlord basically said "I'm not going to replace that"...I get that landlords don't have to make upgrades but this is now a dead piece of equipment sitting above her stove lol. I have my own microwave so I don't really care and I plan on moving in the next six months anyway.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:34 PM

talk to the rental office today and the only they are doing right now is waving the late fee

Old 04-08-2020, 02:55 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
talk to the rental office today and the only they are doing right now is waving the late fee
Jut because you're not working, do not mean you do not owe them money. Basically it's pay up or get out.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Jut because you're not working, do not mean you do not owe them money. Basically it's pay up or get out.
Im able to pay he just brought to my attention that they are not charging late fees this month

Old 04-08-2020, 06:20 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
I don't own a rental property but if I did I would allow delayed payment if they were in dire straits.

There's two types of people in this world...

1) People who if given the chance, will pay what is owed for what they have used ... whether it be rent, borrowed $, or food, etc. Basically, that tenant WILL pay me, it might take him/her a little longer, but they will.

2) People who will take the chance that if they are overpaid, or borrow $ from friends, or relatives, or given a 'free' month of rent, they will not pay it back. This includes tenants getting away with free rent and landlords taking advantage of every $ they can get from tenants.

Basically if people, whoever it may be stiff me out of anywhere from $10,000 to $30,000 over the course of my life, really what difference does it make when I die?

Pretty much none. But if you die knowing that you're type I, or that you helped someone in need, well ... you're also dead.

People who are otherwise pretty decent people have stiffed me out of hundreds of dollars before, so lots of people will take advantage. My ex-roomate and my ex-girlfriend have both stiffed me out hundreds of dollars and they are otherwise pretty good people.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:36 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post

JMO, it is unfortunate that rents are increasing because of taxes and insurance and maintenance. But the alternatives are much worse to renters.
Yes... it now takes me 7 months rent to cover Washington State property taxes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting