Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 11:39 PM

135 posts, read 165,461 times

Advertisements

I am waiving late fees on any balance less than 30 days. The tenants I have who are late now, have been habitually late since moving in, and always carry a balance. If and when the courts reopen and I can evict, having a policy which appears to help tenants during this time will go far in front of a sympathetic judge. (Besides, these tenants are always late anyways. I'm not losing anything by delaying charging the late fee).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 259 times
Thumbs down Renting after eviction

I'm being evicted due to damage to a beroom rug by a sick cannine. Upon a planned group walk thru of property investors, one remarked that the rug must be replaced. I responded that I would pay for it. I happend 2 -3 months ago. Received no response from land lady. Assumed that upon leaving the property, the damage would be part of final bill.

On 9/3/20 I received a summons to appear in Magistrate Court. Went to court and told to come back for 9/8/20 trial. Clerk said was about eviction. Had a ------ What moment? Called land lady, and again offered to pay the damages. No response! Made offer again in court. She declined! Also, told by neghibors in adjacent units owned by her 2/01/21. Assume, I was also notified, but don't remember. Too much goin on.

Now in process of moving to another state. Have been in contact with 3 rental properties. Do I have prayer of renting an apartment? Also, offered a deal to buy a place. However, I prefer to rent, because as a senior, the ride is almost over anyway. Want to keep things simple.

Figure I tell Rental people up front. Their call!

Appreciate any feedbac!

Breeze

Old 09-14-2020, 08:52 AM

828 posts, read 416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Long View Post
I'm being evicted due to damage to a beroom rug by a sick cannine. Upon a planned group walk thru of property investors, one remarked that the rug must be replaced. I responded that I would pay for it. I happend 2 -3 months ago. Received no response from land lady. Assumed that upon leaving the property, the damage would be part of final bill.

On 9/3/20 I received a summons to appear in Magistrate Court. Went to court and told to come back for 9/8/20 trial. Clerk said was about eviction. Had a ------ What moment? Called land lady, and again offered to pay the damages. No response! Made offer again in court. She declined! Also, told by neghibors in adjacent units owned by her 2/01/21. Assume, I was also notified, but don't remember. Too much goin on.

Now in process of moving to another state. Have been in contact with 3 rental properties. Do I have prayer of renting an apartment? Also, offered a deal to buy a place. However, I prefer to rent, because as a senior, the ride is almost over anyway. Want to keep things simple.

Figure I tell Rental people up front. Their call!

Appreciate any feedbac!

Breeze
Dont understand this
"Also, told by neighbors in adjacent units owned by her 2/01/21. "

The date and what where you told by neighbors?

And of course, since you dont mention the state. You will have to confirm if yours are different.

But anyway. Sounds more like they are looking for an excuse to get you to move. But they have followed no state laws in regard to notice. So you should be able to ask the Judge to dismiss the case.
Explain what you did here. And make a point your did not receive a notice. And could not get a response when you tried to contact them.
Would be great if you can prove you tried to contact them. Call log on cell phone, email, text message etc..

Keep in mind can depend on the Judge and who he believes. They will say they gave you notice and did not receive your messages. You will say the opposite.

Since you want to move anyway.
I would talk to them outside the courtroom. Or when the case called ask the Judge can you speak with the plaintiff before the case is heard. Since they have not responded to your tries to discuss the matter.

Then try to reach a settlement and they dismiss the case. You will agree to give them a check or cash then and there. For the damages.
And agree to move out in 30 days or whatever they agree to.
You will have the upper hand at this point. Since it will take longer than that for them to refile the case. And get you out.
They dont want to spend anymore time in court than you do. And there is no guarantee hoe each Judge will rule.

You also did not say if you are month to month or when you lease expires.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:18 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Long View Post
.......I'm being evicted ......... Assume, I was also notified, but don't remember.......... Do I have prayer of renting an apartment? ........

Your post does not make a lot of sense, but as a landlord I would reject your application instead of taking the time to try to sort it out.

I can see a couple of reason to reject: a pet that did damage, the eviction, your ignoring notices, so I am going to jump to the conclusion you have a bad landlord reference. But with such a sketchy version of what was going on, what the heck can I tell about what happened?

Therefore, automatic rejection. Not my problem to follow up and investigate. I've got plenty of other applicants to choose from.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:07 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Get rid of the dog.
Don't get another dog unless its a very small dog and not a yapper.
Want a dog +$50/mn large dog; $25/mn small dog. $100/mn unneuter cats. $25/mn per cats
Get goldfish.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:36 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
.......Get goldfish.

Don't get a goldfish until after you move and have written permission from your new landlord. Many landlords do not allow fish tanks and it would be a shame to make it more difficult for yourself because you got a pet fish. You've already got a lot of things going against you; don't add a goldfish to your issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting