Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 09:19 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,554,150 times

Advertisements

It's cute my dude, but ignore the common people around you at your own peril.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 03:52 AM

106,720 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
I don't know you personally but I know that the economy of USA before the 80s allowed people to have a one income household and live a good life. Now we have two income households and it is still a rat race.

It's not one person's fault. But ignoring the fact that wages hasn't kept up with inflation, especially house prices isn't fair to me.

Average age for a woman to have a child now is 27 years. Do we really want that number to creep up to 30? Child rearing is already hard, you need to be young yourself so that you can keep up with your kids. What sort of society do you want to live in? One where everyone is an old person and there's no kids around? That sounds terrible honestly. Sacrificing the younger generation so that housing prices remain high for the previous old generation seems selfish to me.
housing prices are high because of supply not monetary inflation ... decrease demand or get more supply and prices go right down . look at oil . it is cheaper today then 18 years ago ...

blame politicians or blame yourself for living in an area with shortages in supply in housing .

this is not corrected by wages increasing ...only increasing supply or decreasing demand brings prices down ...

as mircea points out

" The purpose of Demand-pull Inflation is to prevent --- do you know what "prevent" means? I'm guessing you don't since you don't -- the over-consumption, over-use or depletion of goods, services and resources and that includes housing, depletion of goods, services and resources.

Therefore, it makes zero sense to increase wages, since that only serves to enable continued over-consumption, over-use or depletion of goods, services and resources, which results in even higher prices.

If people cannot afford to purchase the goods, services and resources affected by Demand-pull Inflation, then they need to seek substitutes, stop consuming or move to increase Supply to offset the rate of increase of Demand (assuming that's even possible in the first place"

eco 101

Old 05-04-2020, 09:32 AM

It's not only a wage issue. Supply can't keep up with demand in our top metros. You can't build a new 1/1 in SF for less than a 750k, that's pretty insane.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:20 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,748 times
Quote:
But keep coming to a landlord forum...
In fairness, it's not the "landlord" forum; it's the "renting" forum--a place for both landlords and tenants to discuss.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:29 AM

In all fairness, when a tenant comes here and asks advice, the only people who are knowledgeable enough to give them an informed response are landlords.

We're not all unreasonable people. I'm not going to give you incorrect info because you're a tenant.

People who want to make their relationship an adversarial one with their landlord need to take a step back and look at the big picture.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:52 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
I don't know you personally but I know that the economy of USA before the 80s allowed people to have a one income household and live a good life. Now we have two income households and it is still a rat race.

It's not one person's fault. But ignoring the fact that wages hasn't kept up with inflation, especially house prices isn't fair to me.

Average age for a woman to have a child now is 27 years. Do we really want that number to creep up to 30? Child rearing is already hard, you need to be young yourself so that you can keep up with your kids. What sort of society do you want to live in? One where everyone is an old person and there's no kids around? That sounds terrible honestly. Sacrificing the younger generation so that housing prices remain high for the previous old generation seems selfish to me.
I grew up in a neighborhood where every father served in the military as did most older brothers...

For serving they earned VA benefits and home ownership for most was only possible because of this... as was higher education... thing is these benefits are still there.

As for the pre 80's there were 16% mortgage interest rates, gas lines with 10 gallon limits on odd or even days and California.

Double digits property tax increases led to Prop 13 because people were taxed out if there homes...

Just saying

Old 05-04-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
In all fairness, when a tenant comes here and asks advice, the only people who are knowledgeable enough to give them an informed response are landlords.
I'd disagree. There are plenty of knowledgeable tenants who post here fairly regularly. And there are some LLs who post tripe. And vice versa.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:05 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Is this the free free free forum ?
Am I late?

Old 05-04-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Is this the free free free forum ?
Am I late?
Nah, apparently it's now the "No, darn help at all" forum. Or maybe just the "Straw man" forum

Old 05-04-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
I'd disagree. There are plenty of knowledgeable tenants who post here fairly regularly. And there are some LLs who post tripe. And vice versa.
What tenant is constantly hanging around this forum that has good information? That is not in my experience at least. Hell, the legal aide law students in offices around my local court houses have given out bad legal advice regarding rental laws to my tenants before.

You can take your advice from a tenant(I guess), but you're better off asking a landlord who's been in the biz for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting