Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 05:21 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times

Advertisements

Do I hear a fly buzzing around my ear? Or is it a mosquito?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Oakland has higher taxes.... I think there are 24 special fixed assessments in addition to tax on value...

I would imagine a property bought for 100k in 2012 would be close to 3k +/- annual tax.

My observation is when property becomes affordable it is because demand has fallen.

During the last downturn only one of my single parent coworkers jumped in against advice from just about everyone including her parents who advised her to keep renting.

Fast forward her home has doubled in value and her cost is now less than what her former apartment rents for today.
3k property taxes on a property that now costs 500k+ is a pretty sweet deal.

My opinion is that Prop 13 is an unfair law. The taxes for services have to come from somewhere, so the government gets it from the younger generation. Of course you get blips like 08-12 and maybe some young kids can buy a steal.

Doesn't negate the overall unfairness of it though. I think granny who bought her 1200 sqft Victorian in San Fran for 200k decades ago and only pay 4k/year taxes while everyone else around her is paying 4k/month should be forced to pay the same as everyone else.

If your argument is that taxes are used inappropriately and fund unnecessary paper pushing jobs/salaries, that's another discussion.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:31 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Do I hear a fly buzzing around my ear? Or is it a mosquito?
Yep, 2900 posts in 11+ years. Yep, you're a "frequent" LL contributor that has been providing "great" info just by nature of "owning a property."

And, hey, you only hear that buzzing 'cause you're wrong.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:38 PM

I've been to court for rental law suits more than you've probably even cracked open your state's lawbook on the specific statutes regarding landlord/tenant laws.

But please, keep buzzing about how a few extra tick marks on your star makes you somehow knowledgeable. I consider you a pest personally.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:45 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
I've been to court for rental law suits more than you've probably even cracked open your state's lawbook on the specific statutes regarding landlord/tenant laws.

But please, keep buzzing about how a few extra tick marks on your star makes you somehow knowledgeable. I consider you a pest personally.
You keep replying, though....

Like I've said, there's been plenty of good LLs who understand we're in a "weird" predicament on both sides and don't feel the need to swing their dic* around like it's a normal time.

But, since it'll make you feel better, I'll go ahead and bow down to your elitist, lots-of-hours-in-court greatness right now

Old 05-04-2020, 05:52 PM

When's the last time you were in front of a judge regarding a landlord/tenant dispute? When you didn't pay your rent? Seems like the only people who are in that situation are either deadbeats who are constantly avoiding paying their debts or the landlords trying to kick out the deadbeats. So which one are you?

I'm skeptical that you have any idea about what you're talking about. More likely you're just a "server" who has armchair opinions that are never actually tested in the real world.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:02 PM

And if you look over the history of this thread, you'll see that most of the other landlords on here were pretty hard assed about what they expect. They wanted to be paid what their lease agreements had stipulated. It's not unreasonable but it does ignore the emergency.

If you actually took the time to read any of my posts, I'm not actually agreeing with their thoughts on the matter.

But you decided to attack me. So yah, you're just some buzzing nuisance in this thread.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:15 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
3k property taxes on a property that now costs 500k+ is a pretty sweet deal.

My opinion is that Prop 13 is an unfair law. The taxes for services have to come from somewhere, so the government gets it from the younger generation. Of course you get blips like 08-12 and maybe some young kids can buy a steal.

Doesn't negate the overall unfairness of it though. I think granny who bought her 1200 sqft Victorian in San Fran for 200k decades ago and only pay 4k/year taxes while everyone else around her is paying 4k/month should be forced to pay the same as everyone else.

If your argument is that taxes are used inappropriately and fund unnecessary paper pushing jobs/salaries, that's another discussion.
The Lions share of taxes are typically for schools.

I am the new kid on my block... smallest home at 1725 square feet all original 1958 down to the Formica Counters and Vinyl floors...

Sellers were paying 1200 and the day I bought it went to 8800... The sellers built it and in their late 80's sold when health issues forced the sale...

They long ago paid off the assessments years ago that I enjoy for buying in and I don't begrudge them one bit because in 40 to 50 years I plan on having the low taxes...

Prop 13 provided predictability and requires voter approval for new assessments... what's not to like?

Predictability is a factor when it comes to rentals... with elected officials and strict rent control, just cause eviction and business taxes and rent board fees the rents are highly regulated... one thing city leaders are not offering is cutting property tax... my owners would pass along every dollar reduction to tenants but we know taxes are due when due in Alameda County.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-05-2020 at 12:24 AM..

Old 05-05-2020, 06:06 AM

"what's not to like?"

Yup. It's great for the person enjoying the lower taxes. That tax liability is shifted onto everybody else around you. It wouldn't be as big of a deal if SFR zoning was relaxed a little bit to allow more density. For a place as expensive as California, 4-plexes should be the norm. Not as big a deal in row housing builds like in Oakland/SF/Richmond, but there's plenty of suburbs in the Bay Area where McMansion building patterns are still the norm.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:37 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
The beauty of Prop 13 is it applies equally to all taxable property in California... no matter if you bought 30 years ago or yesterday... it is the same for all.

Oakland has rent control as many other Bay Area cities. Isn't it fair that voters have a say in new taxes? 55% approval for new school infrastructure to pass.

Remember, California isn't a low tax State. Neighboring states either have no state income tax or state Sales Tax... California has both in addition to property tax and my effective rate in Oakland is closer to 2% than 1%

Currently all the families at property I manage have received assistance... for some the current situation is putting more money in their pockets... no need to dip into savings and two young single parent moms are also saving significant money no longer needing childcare

As mentioned... all rent increases set to go into affect for April and May are delayed...

Those that asked for help are receiving monies as promised.

The few legacy Section 8 residents it is business as usual except kids are home. Families also received computers and connection assistance.

State and Federal and School District has really come through for those jobless and school lunches continue...

I do know a few in difficult situations and they are younger Nurses and Docs... little to no work as Surgery cases and hospital stays down 95%. About the only thing they qualify is student loan deferrals.

One of the brand new Docs is trying to pick up work anywhere she can...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting