Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 11:58 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Demand they give you approval to access the CARES stimulus online status checker. It requires knowing their SSN/DOB/mailing address, stuff all landlords know.
Well, as most LLs do have access to that info, you could do it yourself. Bearing in mind, though, that one is then committing a felony.

As to demanding access from tenants, sure, one could do that. That tenant could also go ahead and tell LL to get bent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 12:02 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
One of the moral issues is most businesses were forced closed with no income .. .... Being a landlord is a business too and in theory should take the same hit most other businesses, workers and investors do
Yes. I'm aware that this is an emergency situation and something should be done. I think landlords with mortgages should get forbearance till the pandemic is over and rents should be charged at half price to cover all other expenses(insurance, taxes, maintenance, management). The reward for landlords for accepting those conditions should be a tax write off that is higher than the 50% lost rent, let's call it 75%.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:07 PM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Yes. I'm aware that this is an emergency situation and something should be done. I think landlords with mortgages should get forbearance till the pandemic is over and rents should be charged at half price to cover all other expenses(insurance, taxes, maintenance, management). The reward for landlords for accepting those conditions should be a tax write off that is higher than the 50% lost rent, let's call it 75%.
Well I won’t decide what is equitable , that is above my pay grade and they don’t pay me enough to figure it out ....but we are all in this together and all of us should be sharing the hit and lost income that in many cases can’t be made up.....

Old 05-02-2020, 12:32 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Every U.S. renter without a job should qualify for federally guaranteed rent cancellation, in addition to the CARES Act $600 weekly payments (which should also be extended beyond July). Having to interview for jobs in this labor market (especially white collar workers) is already bad enough.

I am a huge supporter of #CancelRent, even though I have paid rent.
Ye that is not going to fly. Renters have 2 choice either pay up or leave. At the end of the day you're renting someone else place to live in , why should they not be expecting to be paid for it?

Old 05-02-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Ye that is not going to fly. Renters have 2 choice either pay up or leave. At the end of the day you're renting someone else place to live in , why should they not be expecting to be paid for it?
We all expect to get paid for working at what we do for a living or invest in .

But it all depends if the law of the land demands we all share the hit or not ....telling tenants they can’t work and have to take a hit for a month or two but not demanding the same from those who work in real estate would be unfair ....don’t get me wrong , I was a landlord for 33 years ...but there is just something wrong when you cherry pick who takes the hits when it involves all of us....

Old 05-02-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
We all expect to get paid for working at what we do for a living or invest in .

But it all depends if the law of the land demands we all share the hit or not ....telling tenants they can’t work and have to take a hit for a month or two but not demanding the same from those who work in real estate would be unfair ....don’t get me wrong , I was a landlord for 33 years ...but there is just something wrong when you cherry pick who takes the hits when it involves all of us....
If you can't handle being out of work for few months, chances are you would been homeless soon anyway. Plus that is what unemployment insurance is for, which for some actually pays more compare to what they were making while working. Remember that $600 is given to everyone as long as they are eligible for $1 unemployment.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
If you can't handle being out of work for few months, chances are you would been homeless soon anyway. Plus that is what unemployment insurance is for, which for some actually pays more compare to what they were making while working. Remember that $600 is given to everyone as long as they are eligible for $1 unemployment.
Glad you got it all figured out for people..

The fact is hits were forced on the American people by the govt and if the govt wants some if not most of the people to take the hit they should even it up across the board... everyone should be compensated proportionately in the losses whether via tax credits or some other means

Old 05-02-2020, 12:48 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,880 times
Quote:
Well I won’t decide what is equitable , that is above my pay grade and they don’t pay me enough to figure it out ....but we are all in this together and all of us should be sharing the hit and lost income that in many cases can’t be made up.....
You were a landlord. If what I suggested doesn't sound fair, what would you have in mind?

Old 05-02-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
You were a landlord. If what I suggested doesn't sound fair, what would you have in mind?
No idea ...like I said I ain’t smart enough to figure it all out nor do they pay me enough .....but for a govt that took away people’s livelihoods it should be done in a manner that shares the hit among all Americans proportionally , not do it by what they do for a living.

Why should a tenant or business owner with savings be expected to use that savings to pay a landlord when the landlord is not expected to have to use his savings to pay someone else ,because what the landlord does for a living which is real estate was not ordered to take a financial hit ....so the govt wants tenants and business owners to take a financial hit but not the real estate owners even though this hit should be passed right through the chain .

The same people that created the problems for Americans should find an equitable way to deal with it

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-02-2020 at 01:31 PM..

Old 05-02-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
No idea ...like I said I ain’t smart enough to figure it all out nor do they pay me enough .....but for a govt that took away people’s livelihoods it should be done in a manner that shares the hit among all Americans proportionally , not do it by what they do for a living.

Why should a tenant or business owner with savings be expected to use that savings to pay a landlord when the landlord is not expected to have to use his savings to pay someone else ,because what he does for a living which is real estate was not ordered to take a financial hit ....so the govt wants tenants to take a financial hit and business owners but not the real estate owners even though this hit should be passed right through the chain .

The same people that created the problems for Americans should find an equitable way to deal with it
Have you tried to ask Corona-virus to take responsibility for this problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting