Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 01:54 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Lol....I have been a landlord for decades and I have NEVER made a profit on my rental. My property taxes alone on Long Island are over $2000.00 a month. Add in $1000.00 a month for insurance, utilities and maintenance. Tenant pays $1300 a month...all included.

Converting my home to a two family home was not an investment choice for me...it was a necessity.
You are not doing it right. Move to Alabama and buy a $5,000 trailer and live like a queen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 01:55 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
I'm a real estate paralegal in a law firm. We get around 100 calls/emails a day from concerned Long Island lanadlords.
So lets say a few hundred are not paying. 10s of millions of others are.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:04 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,840,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

So a few hundred a day are OK?

Old 04-18-2020, 02:10 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,748 times
Quote:
So a few hundred a day are OK?
I don't think anyone is saying it's "ok." But the reality is that in a bad situation, it looks like, at least on the macro, that we're probably not seeing what could be the worst-case scenario. I realize that'll be little comfort to the individual LLs who get hosed here, but...

And frankly, while I'm certainly not dialed in there, I'm just having a hard time believing there are a bunch of still-working, unaffected tenants out there who have simply given up paying based on a short-term eviction moratorium.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:56 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
My units rent for, on average, a little over a thousand a month. Most are 3 bedrooms, often with two adults and 3 kids. So they would get a bailout check of $3900, enough for nearly four months of rent. In addition, if they are laid off from work, they would get unemployment of at least 80% of their expected earnings, plus I hear that there's a bonus being added to that. And they would qualify for Medicaid, so not a penny in medical expenses. And they'd qualify for food stamps, which right now are being enhanced to the maximum allowed for the household size, no matter what the income - if you qualify at all, you get the max.

My point is, that people who have been laid off are actually doing very well, money-wise. Those who are still working are still getting the bailout check. So virtually all families are in a position to pay rent. In my state, the governor just essentially proclaimed that all my tenants legally don't have to pay a penny in rent for the next three months, and there's not a thing I can do about it. And since the courts won't open up until at least July 1st, I doubt I'll get into court with any of them until September. Then the eviction takes at least two months to run. So the tenant could get away without paying rent for 8 months, take the eviction on their record, and move. Heck, if they saved up all 8 months' worth, they'd have a pretty nice down-payment for a house, in my area. And there's not a single thing I can do about it. They're mostly judgement proof, because they either make so little on the books, or work in non-garnishable jobs.

Long answer, but no, I'm not doing anything that the law isn't making me do, regarding tenants paying rent during coronavirus lockdown.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:05 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,145,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
My units rent for, on average, a little over a thousand a month. Most are 3 bedrooms, often with two adults and 3 kids. So they would get a bailout check of $3900, enough for nearly four months of rent. In addition, if they are laid off from work, they would get unemployment of at least 80% of their expected earnings, plus I hear that there's a bonus being added to that. And they would qualify for Medicaid, so not a penny in medical expenses. And they'd qualify for food stamps, which right now are being enhanced to the maximum allowed for the household size, no matter what the income - if you qualify at all, you get the max.

My point is, that people who have been laid off are actually doing very well, money-wise. Those who are still working are still getting the bailout check. So virtually all families are in a position to pay rent. In my state, the governor just essentially proclaimed that all my tenants legally don't have to pay a penny in rent for the next three months, and there's not a thing I can do about it. And since the courts won't open up until at least July 1st, I doubt I'll get into court with any of them until September. Then the eviction takes at least two months to run. So the tenant could get away without paying rent for 8 months, take the eviction on their record, and move. Heck, if they saved up all 8 months' worth, they'd have a pretty nice down-payment for a house, in my area. And there's not a single thing I can do about it. They're mostly judgement proof, because they either make so little on the books, or work in non-garnishable jobs.

Long answer, but no, I'm not doing anything that the law isn't making me do, regarding tenants paying rent during coronavirus lockdown.

I know people that haven't gotten their $2400 check yet. Many states are behind on paying their unemployment etc. Depending on their previous income they might not qualify for food stamps etc.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:43 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,243,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
There's about 44 million rentals in the US, both apartments and houses. About 7% more than normal aren't paying. That's about 3 million people not paying rent more than normal. I'd wager more than a few hundred are taking advantage.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:55 PM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
They will declare bankruptcy and laugh at your judgement.
You're acting like bankruptcy is a walk in the park for the filer. You think their bankruptcy won't be hell for them and for years to come?

Good luck finding a decent place to rent after doing that

Old 04-18-2020, 06:05 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,145,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You're acting like bankruptcy is a walk in the park for the filer. You think their bankruptcy won't be hell for them and for years to come?

Good luck finding a decent place to rent after doing that
I know someone being able to buy a house 4 years afterwards. In this economy bk will not be a big deal

Old 04-18-2020, 06:13 PM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I know someone being able to buy a house 4 years afterwards. In this economy bk will not be a big deal
For those that it works for, good for them. But I'd wager that the overwhelming majority of people filing for bankruptcy won't have such an easy time, particularly with renting going forward. Yes, buying can be easier if you ultimately have the money regardless. But renting would be another story altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting