Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 08:38 PM

1,350 posts, read 818,426 times

Advertisements

700 and above is "Good".

650 is "Fair".

Your boyfriend is 530. I agree with you finding out what is really on his credit report before deciding to move in with him (presumably this is a big next step in your relationship). You need to know what you're getting yourself into with your boyfriend... a bigger issue than which place should you rent or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 08:53 PM

654 posts, read 363,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
I would look for a private landlord and if you find a place you like, bring with you copies of your credit reports and bank statements to give to the landlord. If you have letters of recommendation from past landlords, and your boyfriend's place of employment showing how long he's worked there and salary, that would also help.

The very idea that you are proactive and not hiding your situation should go a long way with a private landlord. They may ask for multiple months rent up front, or increased security deposit for the increased risk, but being honest from the get go, and doing some of the background work for them goes a long way. Don't give them any sappy stories, and that only hurts your cause as that shows desperation. Tell them your situation, how you are dealing with it and how you are trying to improve.

I am a private landlord and the folks that have been most honest with me did not have great credit, but were willing to work hard to ensure their payments were in on time, and they would be in constant communication if anything occurs. They turned out to be my better tenants.

You sound like you are on top of things, so let that shine through when applying for a place. Good luck.
Exactly. I am also a private landlord. Go with one, not with a large company that will have its procedures to follow in vetting tenants.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:04 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renter211 View Post
He has never been sued or anything like that. I believe his low credit is due to how he used his credit card when he was younger. But we will be pulling his credit report to have a look.

If you’re serious enough with this guy to be moving in together you need a much clearer picture of why his credit is so bad. Credit cards from when he was younger should have been corrected by now.. my wife had a low credit score due to her father wanting to pay for her education but constantly forgetting to pay the bill. A year after we paid everything on time and opened a store credit card at Walmart in her name she was in the 700s... my gut would tell me there are still issues and as a landlord my answer would likely be no.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:57 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
A private LL in a class C/D area, class C/D properties, will likely look at income and evictions and criminal record alone - we do. We know that people who DO pay the LL may not have paid some bills. But I don't think you'll be able to get a LL renting class B places to rent to you.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
I am looking to rent an apartment with my boyfriend. We are both in our 30's living in GA.

Here are our issues.

1. My credit is 744, I have never been evicted, have always paid my rent on time, I have 17K+ in savings, however, I have no income since this February because I'm a contract worker and my contact wasn't renewed. I am receiving unemployment and consistently applying for jobs.

2. My boyfriend has a credit score around 530. He has a stable job at a company where he has worked for over a year. He has always paid rent on time, no history of evictions, and his payments (loans, credit card, etc.) have been paid full and on time for the past year.

We are looking to rent in low income apartment complexes (unless you have other recommendations). However, I have no income and he has a bad credit score. How do we overcome this and get our own place? We can definitely afford rent with his income and my savings.
I would simply decline. I have absolutely no guarantee from that you or he will pay and your bf score is so low he looks like he never pays. Having bad credit an be repaired. If your credit is is still low year after year you’re simply not doing what you should to fix it. Your savings won’t mean much. I look at it like this. One good tragedy and your savings is pretty much gone. I would not be interested in even showing a property because it would be wasting your and my time

Old 08-04-2020, 04:27 PM

4 posts, read 3,012 times
I can see that this thread is still active so I wanted to give an update to hopefully close this topic.

We were able to get an apartment. We actually moved in almost 2 months ago. Apologies for not sending this update sooner as I know people read these forums when they are in the same situation for solutions. It's been a busy few months.

I have since been hired for a job full-time and all my finances are still good. My boyfriend still has his full-time job and is working on credit repair. I made a lot of calls and we ended up making a rental application because it was free (no application or admin fees). There was a special going on so we had nothing to lose. We were approved, actually the same day. It's not a low income unit, it's a regular apartment complex. That's all I can really say, it just fell into our laps and we took the opportunity. I didn't have my new job at the time we made the rental application.

Good luck to everyone else in a similar situation. It takes a lot of work, but can be done. Make smart choices - there are plenty of places where we chose not to apply.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:54 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
The way you worded your post....does your boyfriend know about your fiancé? Kidding...and good luck in your new digs!!!

Old 08-07-2020, 04:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
I am looking to rent an apartment with my boyfriend. We are both in our 30's living in GA.
I have no income and he has a bad credit ...
Unmarried housemates need to EACH be able to afford the rent from their individual income.
The credit aspect can only come AFTER affordability. But you don't have that either.
Quote:
How do we overcome this and get our own place?
Move in with Aunt Margaret for a few years.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:09 AM

486 posts, read 415,501 times
I don't think being married is a requirement to not have to qualify individually, especially these days. A lot of people don't get married like they used to, married people split up, once two people sign a lease (no matter what their relationship is), they're legally bound to the lease. Also, I'm pretty sure marital status is a protected class and applying different screening requirements based on a protected class is asking for discrimination lawsuits.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:23 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
I don't think being married is a requirement to not have to qualify individually
...they're legally bound to the lease.
But NOT to each other.

Joint liability is the issue because WHEN they split up...
what is the LL or the other person left with? Good intentions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting