Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 02:30 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmsurfer View Post
Tenant said has no money. Requested lower the rent almost $200. the rent was lowered almost 8 months ago since then.LL lived in the apartment before. When the time the tenant moved in ,the apartment was in good condition. it is still in good condition.
Uh oh. Big mistake. You need to learn what your responsibilities and rights are as a landlord. You also need a lease that spells every thing out and conforms to your state's rules. Then you need to enforce every rule.

Period- end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 04:51 PM

65 posts, read 45,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Uh oh. Big mistake. You need to learn what your responsibilities and rights are as a landlord. You also need a lease that spells every thing out and conforms to your state's rules. Then you need to enforce every rule.

Period- end of story.
Thank you for the kind input.
We have to tell the truth;If not, we will be all crazy.
The dumb bill will be paid.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:46 AM

864 posts, read 439,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmsurfer View Post
During the long weekend ,it was at night; My tenant called and complained that the electric socket in the living room was not working.I knew the outlet was old and lose.
I told her I will look for an electrican after the holiday. she said she had a neighbor is an electrican can do the work.I said ok.
But, that person is not certified.I told my tenant please be patient,I will find a certified person.
The tenant still went ahead to hire an electrican.It is not a big bill,but is big for replacing an outlet.
Should I pay this bill ?
Not in a million years would I pay this bill. I would make it clear to the electrician it is between him and the tenant and he is lucky I don’t file a complaint against him for working on my property without my permission.

My lease specifically requires tenants to notify me of any issues. In the event it is an emergency and I am unable to be reached they have a list of my approved contractors to call: electrician, plumber, HVAC.

Had a tenant call their own plumber once for a toilet clog who charged her $300 for something my plumber would have charged $125 for. She never even asked for compensation because she knew it was her responsibility because she chose to call the plumber instead of calling me. I still reminded her that she did not have the right to hire anybody to do work on the property until next time call me.

You need to nip that in the bud. Do not allow anybody to work on your property without your prior approval. Too much liability. Not to mention that Electrician is a complete rip off. At the most that should’ve been $100.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:30 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
One of my Health care workers was Living in her truck... LL Knew they were Faulty Electric kept putting it off. Then one night the House Burned to the ground! He collected insurance she Got Nothing! Is this Your Game too!!

Old 08-15-2020, 12:39 PM

864 posts, read 439,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
One of my Health care workers was Living in her truck... LL Knew they were Faulty Electric kept putting it off. Then one night the House Burned to the ground! He collected insurance she Got Nothing! Is this Your Game too!!
One outlet not working does not equal faulty electric system, nor does it constitute an emergency.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:45 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
One outlet not working does not equal faulty electric system, nor does it constitute an emergency.
Post #7 The bill is one tech and 1 helper.
Two hours each.Top rate for one socket and said one light was out in the cellar.

So WAS More Wrong than a Loose Socket... Sounds like they had to Run New Wire to Fix Properly. YES it was an Emergancy at this point!

Old 08-16-2020, 06:00 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
What should she get? If she didn’t have renters insurance, that’s on her.

Old 08-16-2020, 01:19 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
Not in a million years would I pay this bill. I would make it clear to the electrician it is between him and the tenant and he is lucky I don’t file a complaint against him for working on my property without my permission.

My lease specifically requires tenants to notify me of any issues. In the event it is an emergency and I am unable to be reached they have a list of my approved contractors to call: electrician, plumber, HVAC.

Had a tenant call their own plumber once for a toilet clog who charged her $300 for something my plumber would have charged $125 for. She never even asked for compensation because she knew it was her responsibility because she chose to call the plumber instead of calling me. I still reminded her that she did not have the right to hire anybody to do work on the property until next time call me.

You need to nip that in the bud. Do not allow anybody to work on your property without your prior approval. Too much liability. Not to mention that Electrician is a complete rip off. At the most that should’ve been $100.
Agreed. I had a tenant present me with a paid invoice, over $600, for a refrigerator repair that they had made over a weekend (thermometer malfunction). Problem is, I have an appliance warranty on that unit, and there is no way to recoup an unauthorized cost under the terms of the warranty service (for which I pay $200 plus per month).

These tenants seem to be klutzy with appliances. Dishwasher has been replaced twice, the fridge has had problems intermittently (some caused by them not closing the door completely :-O ). And there is a second fridge in the cellar which works fine (unplugged usually, available for parties).

But they decided to fix this themselves (hiring a tradesman they knew), and then expected prompt reimbursement. Um, No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting