Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 09:39 AM

9,936 posts, read 4,697,550 times

Advertisements

I've had landlords jump/rush to fix everything and others when they get around to it. Unless I'm unable to properly use something I'll give time for a fix. Some I know rushing/paying for their own repair like that probably don't want the landlord in the apartment for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 12:02 PM

65 posts, read 45,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
In general, good, responsive landlords keep good tenants and vice versa.
That is a fact.
Too many amateurs and grifters think landlording is going to the mailbox and taking out rent checks. That it is a one way street.
Tenant said has no money. Requested lower the rent almost $200. the rent was lowered almost 8 months ago since then.LL lived in the apartment before. When the time the tenant moved in ,the apartment was in good condition. it is still in good condition.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:21 PM

30,693 posts, read 18,319,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmsurfer View Post
Tenant said has no money. Requested lower the rent almost $200. the rent was lowered almost 8 months ago since then.LL lived in the apartment before. When the time the tenant moved in ,the apartment was in good condition. it is still in good condition.
Yes, in part because your tenant took it upon him/herself to fix a socket/outlet that you knew was loose and that you were going to wait weeks to fix.

Old 06-21-2020, 03:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would think a defective ac outlet if that was the case can certainly be argued as critical if there were no other capable in the room so again it can matter exactly what the case is
No sorry it’s not a habitability or emergency issue. It’s a inconvenience issue...... but not emergency or habitability. There are plenty of outlets in a house that can be used. You can use a extension cord for temporary use. There is no habitability issue here. Unless ........it’s the ONLY outlet in the whole house and everything is plugged into it. But that’s not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The landlord had total control until he said, "Wait a while and then I will see if I can find an electrician at my convenience."
"I told her I will look for an electrican after the holiday."
Landlord knew about the issue before the tenant reported it, "I knew the outlet was old and lose," and just let it go.

Habitability issue? We don't know. May have been a fire safety issue. Landlord doesn't care.
$300? Includes the "said one light was out in the cellar." What's THAT all about? What was the repair? Did the landlord know about that, too, but wouldn't fix it unless she complained?

Now we are solicited to throw a pity party for the poor slumlord. Hogwash. Pathetic.
Lots of assumption in your post. And drama.

Where did op say wait a while abd I’ll find someone at my convenience? They said I’ll get someone after the holiday. Which is perfectly fine as a broken outlet isn’t a habitability issue. Like stated above a house has plenty of outlets that can be used for its intended use if one is broken. It may be a inconvenience cause you can’t use THAT ONE RECEPTACLE but it’s not habitability issue.

The tenant took it upon themselves to fix it....it’s their deal to pay it. They advised me I to,d them I’ll get someone to look at it during normal work hours....and you went ahead and called someone..that’s your dime.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 06-21-2020 at 04:15 PM..

Old 06-21-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes, in part because your tenant took it upon him/herself to fix a socket/outlet that you knew was loose and that you were going to wait weeks to fix.
LL is profession in electronic and electricity.The socket is loose but can still be functionable.
Then everybody got their hands in the cookie jar.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
LL is profession in electronic and electricity.The socket is loose but can still be functionable.
Then everybody got their hands in the cookie jar.
Which means that there was an unnecessary risk of disaster striking. Why should your tenant have waited weeks for that to be fixed?

Old 06-21-2020, 04:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,621,649 times
Quote:
Which means that there was an unnecessary risk of disaster striking. Why should your tenant have waited weeks for that to be fixed?
For the same reason that when a homeowner calls a tradesman for a repair and they may have to wait a few weeks.....LL have to also. Tradesmen have their own schedule too, especially when you’re not just using the shotgun choosing approach

Unless it’s a emergency my plumber usually goes put within a day or two. But that’s for ME. Because we have a great relationship. He usually is booked at least a week or two. In fact most of the trades guys I use are usually bolded ay least a week out with the average being two weeks. They do bend over backwards for me but that’s because we had a 10-15 year working relationship.

Do you think we snap our fingers and conjure up tradesmen to go fix stuff at a moment notice? Would be nice but it doesn’t happen.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
"Disaster" like what ?Please read my posts.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
For the same reason that when a homeowner calls a tradesman for a repair and they may have to wait a few weeks.....LL have to also. Tradesmen have their own schedule too, especially when you’re not just using the shotgun choosing approach

Unless it’s a emergency my plumber usually goes put within a day or two. But that’s for ME. Because we have a great relationship. He usually is booked at least a week or two. In fact most of the trades guys I use are usually bolded ay least a week out with the average being two weeks. They do bend over backwards for me but that’s because we had a 10-15 year working relationship.

Do you think we snap our fingers and conjure up tradesmen to go fix stuff at a moment notice? Would be nice but it doesn’t happen.
Maybe it's just because I am used to living in highly populated cities (DC, NYC, Honolulu, etc.), but I've never had a problem getting a licensed electrician, plumber, etc. within a day or two. Even for non-emergencies and even if it means paying a little extra and calling around. Still, OP said that s/he wasn't going to even start looking for the electrician until after the holiday If your experience with timeline holds true in the OP's case, then we are potentially talking about well over a month. That's unacceptable from where I and many others in this thread stand.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 06-21-2020 at 05:22 PM..

Old 06-21-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
"Disaster" like what ?Please read my posts.
https://brennan-electric.com/why-loo...%20your%20home.

I have read your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting