Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 07:37 PM

828 posts, read 418,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmsurfer View Post
l.
Characteristics of the tenant is always trying to lower the rent.Which I gave twice.
So now we come to the actually problem.
Tenant is now trained to be in charge. She did what she is use to. Very understandable in this case.

So just do what she says on this issue and the other ones that you can expect to come up.
Once trained very hard to untrained them. Better with a new tenant.

To add I do think you were setup. Good chance the guy next door did the 10 min of work. And him or her had a friend that was licensed and had that person write a bill. Wanted to get what they can. So may not have even touched the light. She knows you are easy to get money out of so why not throw in some extras.
I would at least call the person on the bill which may give a clue.
You could also mention you know loose wires are a fire hazard but a loose outlet is not. If not used.
And not unreasonable to say dont use one outlet for a week since they have others.

At the very least. Raise the rent up at the next renewal. Explain rent increases are also tied into your increase repair cost.

But this will always be a problem tenant. A new one would not how you are.

Last edited by Steve19605; 06-20-2020 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 07:57 PM

43,367 posts, read 77,271,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I agree. $300 for an outlet is WAY too high. We were charge $70 by a certified electrician.
1. I wouldn't expect to get an electrician on-site for under $100.

2. Cheapest way to get stuff done is to take care of issues rather than to defer repairs until someone else figures they have to get them done.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:25 PM

65 posts, read 45,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
So now we come to the actually problem.
Tenant is now trained to be in charge. She did what she is use to. Very understandable in this case.

So just do what she says on this issue and the other ones that you can expect to come up.
Once trained very hard to untrained them. Better with a new tenant.

To add I do think you were setup. Good chance the guy next door did the 10 min of work. And him or her had a friend that was licensed and had that person write a bill. Wanted to get what they can. So may not have even touched the light. She knows you are easy to get money out of so why not throw in some extras.
I would at least call the person on the bill which may give a clue.
You could also mention you know loose wires are a fire hazard but a loose outlet is not. If not used.
And not unreasonable to say dont use one outlet for a week since they have others.

At the very least. Raise the rent up at the next renewal. Explain rent increases are also tied into your increase repair cost.

But this will always be a problem tenant. A new one would not how you are.
Right on !
I am not going to pay this bill.
Take me to the small claim court,or send me to the collection agency.
Or break something else ?
The guy wrote the bill is going to ................?

Old 06-20-2020, 11:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
states have their own housing laws that allow repairs to be made and deducted off the rent .

you have to see what the state says about notification and how long a tenant has to wait before acting on their own . different repairs may even have different time limits .
One broken receptacle isn’t a habitability issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Landlord is responsible for prompt repairs having said that -
Unauthorized repairs and maintenance often done poorly and without the owners knowledge or permission are seen as justified by tenants
It appears the fact that they have a signed agreement to not do this is not meaningful to many tenants
Sure prompt repair for a non emergency issue can be anywhere fro a few days to a week. Contrary to popular belief LLs don’t have workmen just sitting around waiting for a call. Things have to be scheduled. First of all even if I knew about a issue doesn’t mean I’m gonna jump on it and get it done immediately. My tenants can text or call but ALL repairs are in writing. Why? Well because I need a actual written note describing the problem for records. Ths way I can staple the receipt to it and if there is ever a question I can prove why the money was spent. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
$300 is high for replacing an outlet, but if you call out an electrician on a holiday that's what happens.

Loose electrical connections are a frequent cause of fire because the resistance (and thus resistance heating) increases at the loose connection. If this has been the case for a long time the wire insulation leading away from the box can be embrittled and damaged due to running hot. You don't know how far back they had to pull and replace wire.

My advice would be the instant you get an electrical complaint you jump on it, chop freaking chop. If the house burns down and there's a record of an electrical issue that you delayed acting on, you're probably going to be liable.
$300 may seem like a lot but for most places that is a average rate. Travel time, two people can easily get to the $300 mark.

As far as my opinion, the tenant overstepped. Even if it was a long weekend a broken outlet isn’t a life threatening or a habitability issue. Regardless if OP knew about it (even though somewhat negligent) the tenant can’t just go and do such work. Now if we’re talking a burst pipe can’t get a hold of LL.....ok that I can see as a unusual circumstance.

About the most fault I can find is OP not taking care of issues in a timely manner. If that was my house the electrician would be there within a day or a few of the first time I noticed or was made aware of a issue.

Old 06-21-2020, 02:20 AM

106,907 posts, read 109,176,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
One broken receptacle isn’t a habitability issue.

Sure prompt repair for a non emergency issue can be anywhere fro a few days to a week. Contrary to popular belief LLs don’t have workmen just sitting around waiting for a call. Things have to be scheduled. First of all even if I knew about a issue doesn’t mean I’m gonna jump on it and get it done immediately. My tenants can text or call but ALL repairs are in writing. Why? Well because I need a actual written note describing the problem for records. Ths way I can staple the receipt to it and if there is ever a question I can prove why the money was spent. .

$300 may seem like a lot but for most places that is a average rate. Travel time, two people can easily get to the $300 mark.

As far as my opinion, the tenant overstepped. Even if it was a long weekend a broken outlet isn’t a life threatening or a habitability issue. Regardless if OP knew about it (even though somewhat negligent) the tenant can’t just go and do such work. Now if we’re talking a burst pipe can’t get a hold of LL.....ok that I can see as a unusual circumstance.

About the most fault I can find is OP not taking care of issues in a timely manner. If that was my house the electrician would be there within a day or a few of the first time I noticed or was made aware of a issue.
i would think a defective ac outlet if that was the case can certainly be argued as critical if there were no other capable in the room so again it can matter exactly what the case is

Old 06-21-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would think a defective ac outlet if that was the case can certainly be argued as critical if there were no other capable in the room so again it can matter exactly what the case is
The landlord had total control until he said, "Wait a while and then I will see if I can find an electrician at my convenience."
"I told her I will look for an electrican after the holiday."
Landlord knew about the issue before the tenant reported it, "I knew the outlet was old and lose," and just let it go.

Habitability issue? We don't know. May have been a fire safety issue. Landlord doesn't care.
$300? Includes the "said one light was out in the cellar." What's THAT all about? What was the repair? Did the landlord know about that, too, but wouldn't fix it unless she complained?

Now we are solicited to throw a pity party for the poor slumlord. Hogwash. Pathetic.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:55 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,573,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The landlord had total control until he said, "Wait a while and then I will see if I can find an electrician at my convenience."
"I told her I will look for an electrican after the holiday."
Landlord knew about the issue before the tenant reported it, "I knew the outlet was old and lose," and just let it go.

Habitability issue? We don't know. May have been a fire safety issue. Landlord doesn't care.
$300? Includes the "said one light was out in the cellar." What's THAT all about? What was the repair? Did the landlord know about that, too, but wouldn't fix it unless she complained?

Now we are solicited to throw a pity party for the poor slumlord. Hogwash. Pathetic.
Exactly.

It shouldn't take weeks (assuming that the O.P. is referring to the Fourth of July holiday and he posted this on the 18th of June) to get an electrician or handyman out to the rental unit in question. A good landlord has several such professionals on speed dial.

In this scenario, I'd have either replaced the outlet and light socket myself after making my landlord aware of the situation and asking if I could do so (my former indie landlords trusted me to do basic home repairs and let me deduct materials on my next month's rent provided I promptly sent them a receipt) or have put my rent money in escrow until the problem had been resolved.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Exactly.

It shouldn't take weeks (assuming that the O.P. is referring to the Fourth of July holiday and he posted this on the 18th of June) to get an electrician or handyman out to the rental unit in question. A good landlord has several such professionals on speed dial.

In this scenario, I'd have either replaced the outlet and light socket myself (my former indie landlords trusted me to do basic home repairs and let me deduct materials on my next month's rent provided I promptly sent them a receipt) or have put my rent money in escrow until the problem had been resolved.
Exactly. Right back atcha!

And, if you have replaced enough receptacles, you probably know that it too often is not a 5 minute job.
And, if you have worked on enough basement lights, you probably know that it often is not a 5 minute job.

I show enough rentals to see plenty of slumlord properties, work with enough people who have had to scream at their slumlord to get anything done.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:08 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,573,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Exactly. Right back atcha!

And, if you have replaced enough receptacles, you probably know that it too often is not a 5 minute job.
And, if you have worked on enough basement lights, you probably know that it often is not a 5 minute job.

I show enough rentals to see plenty of slumlord properties, work with enough people who have had to scream at their slumlord to get anything done.
Aside from my very first landlord where I had to put my rent money in escrow due to an ongoing, unresolved roof leak that went on for months(the suspended ceiling eventually collapsed!), I always had fantastic landlords who, depending upon the concern at hand, were either over there repairing what needed to be repaired within hours or days (or sent a professional if needed) or trusted me to do small things like painting, lawn care, and simple electrical and plumbing work.

In general, good, responsive landlords keep good tenants and vice versa.

That being said, three hundred does seem to be a bit high (didn't cost me much more than that to have every outlet and switch replaced and two GFCI outlets and a socket for the dryer installed in my house by a professional electrician), but prices can vary wildly between different parts of the country.

Guess that our O.P. can take this as an expensive lesson learned: be proactive when a problem arises and responsive when a tenant calls with a problem or concern.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 06-21-2020 at 06:17 AM..

Old 06-21-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Aside from my very first landlord where I had to put my rent money in escrow due to an ongoing, unresolved roof leak that went on for months(the suspended ceiling eventually collapsed!), I always had fantastic landlords who, depending upon the concern at hand, were either over there repairing what needed to be repaired within hours or days (or sent a professional if needed) or trusted me to do small things like painting and simple electrical and plumbing work.

That is a fact.
Too many amateurs and grifters think landlording is going to the mailbox and taking out rent checks. That it is a one way street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting