Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 11:37 PM

18 posts, read 12,555 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

So last year I got evicted for non payment after 4 years of being at that apartment. As far as paying the balance after the fact, i brought my rent current but had thirty days to come up with an aditional 2 months for leaving early which i didnt have resulting in that balance being sent to collection after the 30 days. I know this is pretty much an automatic denial from most big complexes. But i would like to know if the following plan would help (I live in FL btw):

So the apartment i want to get is a luxury apt. for 1,600/mo. My take home income from my job that ive had the past 2 yrs is just under 4x that (they require at least 2x income). I have a clean background and no complaints from my previous LL outside of non payment. Id even be willing to have new potential LL call them to verify this (even sent an email to the staff at the leasing office after the judgment letting them know that that I appreciated their help over the years and that i had nothing but good remarks about the property).

Now ive done my research and ive found that offering to pay the entire lease upfront is pretty much out of the question since, to my understanding, if i left/broke my lease all unused rent would be owed back to me anyway. So my question is this: if i went in there, explained my situation, and offered to pay the entierty of a 7 month lease down as a security deposit, then pay my regular rent as usual from month 1, would I be able to negotiate a lease with a prior eviction, poor credit? My thinking is that, if for whatever reason they had to evict me (just playing worst case senario), because i had the entierty of the lease as a security deposit they would be able to draw any balance off of this before returning it. That and being able to show that money was the only issue (not someone who caused all kinds of damage to the unit or noise complaints, or whatever other implications come with considering a tenant with a past eviction).

Any help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 02:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickfl86 View Post
So last year I got evicted for non payment after 4 years of being at that apartment.
And what were you advised about the situation and potential repercussions then?
Maybe post a link to those threads under your former username.
Quote:
Now ive done my research and ive found that offering to pay the entire lease upfront...
You seem surprised by this.
Quote:
Any help is appreciated
Go downmarket. Find a smalltime LL who doesn't know to care about things like evictions.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:14 AM

[quote=MrRational;58759683]And what were you advised about the situation and potential repercussions then?
Maybe post a link to those threads under your former username.
/QUOTE]

Oh no by repost I meant I was reposting this question in a better category. Kind of new to posting in forums so not sure how to move things around.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:19 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Oh no by repost I meant...
Uh huh.
So... what were you advised about the situation and potential repercussions last year?
Any of it not coming to pass?

Old 07-28-2020, 06:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
You have a recent eviction, a judgment and poor credit. don’t waste your time (and money) or this complex’s time by trying to convince them to take you. They won’t. You’re too much of a risk. Find a landlord that doesn’t vet their applicants.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:36 AM

486 posts, read 416,082 times
You need a smaller landlord who hasn't learned his lesson yet and is willing to listen to sob stories or you need to be one of a few (better qualified) people applying together.

You have a recent eviction and bad credit, we wouldn't even consider you no matter what your story is. If you were applying with someone who could qualify on your own, you'd have a chance.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
If you were applying with someone who could qualify on your own, you'd have a chance.
This is something I was wondering about. What would be the difference between having a cosigner or co tenant and me offering to put the entirety of the lease down as a security deposit? The whole point of a cosigner is to show you have someone who will come up with the money in the event that you dont and to me having the entire lease committed in a security deposit achieves the same effect no?

Old 07-28-2020, 11:26 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
This is something I was wondering about. What would be the difference between having a cosigner or co tenant and me offering to put the entirety of the lease down as a security deposit? The whole point of a cosigner is to show you have someone who will come up with the money in the event that you dont and to me having the entire lease committed in a security deposit achieves the same effect no?
Yes, but you have to find a landlord that will take a co-signer.

You can offer all the money in the world, but it’s highly unlikely that they will take it. State law and company policy come into play. If you want to do this, find a landlord who doesn’t vet applicants.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:43 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
So, you've had the same job for two years and last year had difficulty paying rent; and were evicted. This year, with same job, you are so good with your money, you have over 11k that you can put down as a deposit?

Something is very fishy here....

Old 07-28-2020, 12:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Hello all!

So last year I got evicted for non payment after 4 years of being at that apartment. As far as paying the balance after the fact, i brought my rent current but had thirty days to come up with an aditional 2 months for leaving early which i didnt have resulting in that balance being sent to collection after the 30 days. I know this is pretty much an automatic denial from most big complexes. But i would like to know if the following plan would help (I live in FL btw):

So the apartment i want to get is a luxury apt. for 1,600/mo. My take home income from my job that ive had the past 2 yrs is just under 4x that (they require at least 2x income). I have a clean background and no complaints from my previous LL outside of non payment. Id even be willing to have new potential LL call them to verify this (even sent an email to the staff at the leasing office after the judgment letting them know that that I appreciated their help over the years and that i had nothing but good remarks about the property).

Now ive done my research and ive found that offering to pay the entire lease upfront is pretty much out of the question since, to my understanding, if i left/broke my lease all unused rent would be owed back to me anyway. So my question is this: if i went in there, explained my situation, and offered to pay the entierty of a 7 month lease down as a security deposit, then pay my regular rent as usual from month 1, would I be able to negotiate a lease with a prior eviction, poor credit? My thinking is that, if for whatever reason they had to evict me (just playing worst case senario), because i had the entierty of the lease as a security deposit they would be able to draw any balance off of this before returning it. That and being able to show that money was the only issue (not someone who caused all kinds of damage to the unit or noise complaints, or whatever other implications come with considering a tenant with a past eviction).

Any help is appreciated

Truthfully bad credit eviction nonpayment I would decline even if you offered to pay 10% more and all upfront. The whole I keep the unit nice etc wouldn’t matter. Plenty of people with good credit keep properties nice and clean. And pay the rent on time.

Like everyone said find a inexperienced LL or one who doesn’t care or one who works with people with bad credit. They're out there. Just gotta find one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting