Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 07:17 PM

11 posts, read 9,267 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I really need help with this situation. I live in a 4 unit apartment and we have a 4 car garage that is not attached to the apartment, it is in the back alleyway. I park my car in my assigned garage, but all of my other neighbors use their garages as storage. It is hard to get parking on the street that we live on, so when they can't find parking, they park in front of the garage and they end up blocking us from getting in or out. We have to then call them or ring their doorbell so that one of them could move their vehicle, so that we can either leave or get in when we return. It has even gotten so bad that their guests park and block the garage when they visit. That just happened to me today. It's a daily battle. We could contact the landlord, but I'm not sure if he'll be any help, plus if he tells them, then it may cause issues that I don't want to deal with right now. We don't know what to do at this point, and we are really tired of going through this every time. It's really not fair at all. They do not have to call us when they leave, they can just leave as they please.
I really need some good suggestions on what I should do. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 07:30 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
None of us can really do anything. If it is private property and not posted as a tow away zone, it will be up to the landlord to enforce his rules. Maybe he needs to prohibit storage in the garage parking spaces.

Document the problem with date stamped photos and send them to your landlord.

If you won't report this to the landlord and keep reporting it every time it happens, guess you'll need to deal with the neighbors directly.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:44 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
We could contact the landlord, but I'm not sure if he'll be any help, plus if he tells them, then it may cause issues that I don't want to deal with right now.

Then you are stuck with the status quo.

Unless you want to find another place to live and I'm guessing you'll have a reason not to do that either.

Nobody's going to fix this for you except your landlord. It's his responsibility. You need to take photos of the offending vehicles and put your complaint in writing to the landlord. If he doesn't do anything at least you have a paper trail if you want to break your lease.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
None of us can really do anything. If it is private property and not posted as a tow away zone, it will be up to the landlord to enforce his rules. Maybe he needs to prohibit storage in the garage parking spaces.

Document the problem with date stamped photos and send them to your landlord.

If you won't report this to the landlord and keep reporting it every time it happens, guess you'll need to deal with the neighbors directly.

Thank you so much for your response. The garage does have tow away signs, but that applies to strange vehicles of course. We had a strange vehicle towed away before, after our landlord gave permission for the tow company to tow that vehicle away.

We have a sign that says, "No Parking, Do Not Blocking Garage" on our door, but that doesn't help with them. People do not care and I wish that there was more that we could do.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:55 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey20 View Post
Thank you so much for your response. The garage does have tow away signs, but that applies to strange vehicles of course. We had a strange vehicle towed away before, after our landlord gave permission for the tow company to tow that vehicle away.

We have a sign that says, "No Parking, Do Not Blocking Garage" on our door, but that doesn't help with them. People do not care and I wish that there was more that we could do.
Can you park a bicycle with a lock to prevent any other vehicle from parking in that space and blocking you.
I’m guessing cones would be too light weight. You could also write a heartfelt letter about the hardship this is causing and maybe throw in a medical emergency or a missed important appointment that caused harm, an employer that is threatening to fire you if you are late one more time.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Then you are stuck with the status quo.

Unless you want to find another place to live and I'm guessing you'll have a reason not to do that either.

Nobody's going to fix this for you except your landlord. It's his responsibility. You need to take photos of the offending vehicles and put your complaint in writing to the landlord. If he doesn't do anything at least you have a paper trail if you want to break your lease.
You’re right, we’ll have to get him involved. It has really gotten out of hand. Thank you for your reply.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Can you park a bicycle with a lock to prevent any other vehicle from parking in that space and blocking you.
I’m guessing cones would be too light weight. You could also write a heartfelt letter about the hardship this is causing and maybe throw in a medical emergency or a missed important appointment that caused harm, an employer that is threatening to fire you if you are late one more time.
I thought about so many things that I could use to block them from being able to block me. I was late for a few appointments, because we had to wait for someone to move their vehicle.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:44 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
I thought about so many things that I could use to block them from being able to block me. I was late for a few appointments, because we had to wait for someone to move their vehicle.
Shame that you can't do it Philly-style -- people put plastic chairs in a parking spot after they've shoveled snow out it. Or maybe you could?

Old 04-22-2021, 02:36 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Check with your landlord to see if he has any objection to you calling to have them towed. If not, add that warning on a sign and do it.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:07 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I really need help with this situation. I live in a 4 unit apartment and we have a 4 car garage that is not attached to the apartment, it is in the back alleyway. I park my car in my assigned garage, but all of my other neighbors use their garages as storage. It is hard to get parking on the street that we live on, so when they can't find parking, they park in front of the garage and they end up blocking us from getting in or out. We have to then call them or ring their doorbell so that one of them could move their vehicle, so that we can either leave or get in when we return. It has even gotten so bad that their guests park and block the garage when they visit. That just happened to me today. It's a daily battle. We could contact the landlord, but I'm not sure if he'll be any help, plus if he tells them, then it may cause issues that I don't want to deal with right now. We don't know what to do at this point, and we are really tired of going through this every time. It's really not fair at all. They do not have to call us when they leave, they can just leave as they please.
I really need some good suggestions on what I should do. Thank you!
Contact the landlord and/or call a towing company. The towing company might not tow them, but you won’t know if you don’t call.

When you contact your landlord ask them is they have a towing company they prefer to use.. our complex had one and the gated community I moved to after had one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting