Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 07:41 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,129,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Just never had the issue out of mind out of sight

So definitely getting flea meds now

Every dog should be on flea and tick meds even if you don’t see fleas or think you have an issue with them. This is dog 101.. I’m sure your vet talked with you about this.

While you’re there, get heartworm prevention as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As I recall from my landlord days, you're entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of your premises. That, combined with the management's refusal to treat your apartment (they should at least spring for the cost of a flea fogger/bomb), might get you out of your lease. Just be glad this isn't a condo you actually bought and are now stuck with; stories like this are what keep me from buying one (lots of owners rent out their condos, so a complex can feel just like an apartment building)...
They need to read their lease.. some infestations (bedbugs for one) are on the tenant, not that landlord. If you’re too ignorant to have your dog on flea and ticks meds that actually work, then you can foot the bill for treating your unit.

Not all states require landlords to provide pest control.. some do it as a perk to tenants and as a way to keep down bugs.. but again, they need to read the lease and their pet addendum.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:52 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,859,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Really? That's not ok. Maybe you need to talk to your vet about a better flea treatment.
I have a vet on call 24/7. What do you suggest other than what my vet has already told me? Flea infestations are very common in my area an have been for at least 60 years.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:33 AM

[quote=reenzz;62027285]I have a vet on call 24/7. What do you suggest other than what my vet has already told me? Flea infestations are very common in my area an have been for at least 60 years.[/

What has your vet suggested?

Frontline and other topicals are losing their effectiveness in controlling fleas. My S Florida vet suggests rotating monthly oral treatments every 4-6 months… we have to treat year round in Florida. I’m currently in Jamaica and my vet here says the same thing about Frontline.. we have no choice but to use nexgard and knock on wood, it works really well. We also have to treat year round here as well

Old 10-01-2021, 01:02 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,859,052 times
[quote=Kim in FL;62028423]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
I have a vet on call 24/7. What do you suggest other than what my vet has already told me? Flea infestations are very common in my area an have been for at least 60 years.[/

What has your vet suggested?

Frontline and other topicals are losing their effectiveness in controlling fleas. My S Florida vet suggests rotating monthly oral treatments every 4-6 months… we have to treat year round in Florida. I’m currently in Jamaica and my vet here says the same thing about Frontline.. we have no choice but to use nexgard and knock on wood, it works really well. We also have to treat year round here as well
Simparica...

https://www.allivet.com/p-7730-simpa...hoCNg4QAvD_BwE

Old 10-01-2021, 05:38 PM

[quote=reenzz;62029384]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
That’s one that my Florida vet suggested as well.

Old 10-03-2021, 02:05 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,544,588 times
Sprinkle Sevin dust on carpet, and take dog out for a couple of hours. Then go home and vacuum.
Put dog on good flea preventative, like Revolution, Bravecta

Old 10-10-2021, 12:21 PM

32,757 posts, read 48,460,461 times
OP, you've got a dog and your dog has fleas and your dog has brought fleas into your house. That is your problem to cure; it is not your landlord's responsibility.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:54 AM

13,733 posts, read 12,547,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, you've got a dog and your dog has fleas and your dog has brought fleas into your house. That is your problem to cure; it is not your landlord's responsibility.
^^This.^^

OP doesn't realize that in the south bugs are worse. When I moved from the snowy midwest I was surprised when the first apartment I toured advertised the regular exterminator treatments. I was like "Ick! Why you need exterminators that often!" WHen I lived in upper Midwest they sent an exterminator once or twice a year for silverfish/spiders in a really old building, maybe.

Dogs need to be on preventative anywhere, but it's doubly true south of the Mason Dixon line. The weather is warmer, and bugs thrive.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
^^This.^^

OP doesn't realize that in the south bugs are worse. When I moved from the snowy midwest I was surprised when the first apartment I toured advertised the regular exterminator treatments. I was like "Ick! Why you need exterminators that often!" WHen I lived in upper Midwest they sent an exterminator once or twice a year for silverfish/spiders in a really old building, maybe.

Dogs need to be on preventative anywhere, but it's doubly true south of the Mason Dixon line. The weather is warmer, and bugs thrive.
True.. but with proper cleaning and maintenance/treatment, your home can be bug free. I lived in S Fl for over 40 ys. Never had a bug problem.. we treated the home and yard and kept the place clean. Funny thing is the first summer I was in MI we had a horrible flea infestation… took a couple of weeks but we did get rid of them by doing what we did in Florida.. treat them yard and home on routine basis.

Roaches live everywhere. My sister in law lived in a high rise in Toronto…had roaches and no matter what she did, she continued tp have roaches. Her neighbors refused to kill them and refused to have treatments in their units. She moved and is now living roach free in a very nice home.

I agree that all dogs need to be on preventives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting