Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2021, 11:16 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon! So our chihuahua/mix since we had her for 4 years never had fleas and lived in an apartment for four years. Our other pup who has been living in an apartment setting for almost a year never had fleas during that time as well.

We move to new complex that is atheistically pleasing and landscaped great. The staff have been friendly.

After moving here what a trip. Walls are thin can hear anything and everything. People speed in the complex. Some neighbors are loud and disrespecting/don't follow the rules of the complex. Out in the pool area past hours. Loud music in cars. Smoking on porches (smoking has to be away from building) can't use our porch at all. Feel some dog owners have dogs over the weight limit. Nothing against marijuana but people using it on the property. Found random stuff on our porch. Garbage and liquid dumped on our porch at times.

Another issue is maintenance isn't terrible just only 2 people not enough for the size of the complex. Not sure if this is an issue from when the current property management bought the place but appliances are breaking. The supplier they use has nothing in stock due to COVID-19. Haven't had a working dishwasher for a few months.

AC and plumbing issues in some apartments. Are AC stopped for a few days (3-4) days.

Getting off my tanget the issue is fleas. So just recently found out a resident living here who moved out their dog had fleas. Only reason we found out was from the PM staff because they were going to use an empty apartment to switch with our dishwasher that's been out for over 2 months.

Anyways their response to the flea issue was changing the carpets out the apartment still as fleas. So they treated the apartment and vaccumed for 2 weeks. They haven't treated the building as a whole or the grounds.

Now we noticed our dogs itching lately behold they have fleas.

We been vaccuming, bathing, spraying, and so forth the apartment/dogs.

We were thinking of reaching out to an exterminator to bomb the apartment. Researching it seems if the whole complex isn't treated having fleas or at least the 2 buildings that have fleas it's a lost cause.

So my questions are what if we asked the property manager to treat the grounds and the apartments in our building they refuse to. Would we have grounds to break our lease without penalty due to health concerns?

Appreciate the feedback!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 01:01 PM

558 posts, read 434,087 times
Honestly, it sounds as if you simply don't want to live there and are looking for a way to break the lease, using fleas as an excuse.

I don't know the laws of your state and/or municipality. But if you want to get rid of the fleas, then have your apartment treated. It will have to be retreated since fleas may still hatch after the initial treatment. Put both your dogs on flea/tick preventative. Wildlife are also carriers.

Old 08-15-2021, 02:04 PM

23,261 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
So my questions are what if we asked the property manager to treat the grounds and the apartments in our building they refuse to. Would we have grounds to break our lease without penalty due to health concerns?

Appreciate the feedback!
Probably not. What does your lease state about breaking it? You could also check with your state landlord tenant laws about what constitutes a "health concern" that might provide justification for breaking a lease without penalty. Doubt very much fleas would reach that threshold. Keep your dogs on preventatives.

Old 08-15-2021, 03:39 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Quote:
Based on the zip code in your profile (thanks for that) here are the CT landlord tenant statutes. Study them carefully for any potential remedies.

https://law.justia.com/codes/connect...019/title-47a/

Meantime, buy your own flea stuff and give your dogs some relief.

Based on what you have written, it's a lousy place to live and you aren't going to be able to count on anything from the apartment complex management.

Old 08-15-2021, 03:48 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Presumably, your dogs aren't solely kept in an apt.! You walk them outside, yes?

Old 08-15-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Presumably, your dogs aren't solely kept in an apt.! You walk them outside, yes?
I mean could be from outside. I mean who knows how many people have fleas in their apartment here don't report it. Grass could be covered with them TBH.

Really we just like to move to a different unit away from the pool our neighbors. We asked can't change apartments till the end of our lease.

I mean we understand why the previous owner of our apartment moved to another one in the complex. Not that we are just watching our neighbors it's just hard not to notice it.

We don't want to report due to concerns of them retaliating against us our daughter. We have concerns could affect our livelihood if for example sabatoge our vehicles. The leasing office is directly across our complex and nothing stops them. Don't see the leasing office doing much great people just laid back individuals.

It's not a bad complex just a few bad apples spoil the place.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:22 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
Quote:
I mean could be from outside. I mean who knows how many people have fleas in their apartment here don't report it. Grass could be covered with them TBH.

Really we just like to move to a different unit away from the pool our neighbors. We asked can't change apartments till the end of our lease.

I mean we understand why the previous owner of our apartment moved to another one in the complex. Not that we are just watching our neighbors it's just hard not to notice it.

We don't want to report due to concerns of them retaliating against us our daughter. We have concerns could affect our livelihood if for example sabatoge our vehicles. The leasing office is directly across our complex and nothing stops them. Don't see the leasing office doing much great people just laid back individuals.

It's not a bad complex just a few bad apples spoil the place.
Why would someone retaliate against your daughter?

Old 08-15-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Why would someone retaliate against your daughter?
Just if had to report the neighbors above us. I imagine complex wouldn't do much. I mean we have a cat. Only suppose to have two pets. A lot of renter's over weight limit, restricted breeds, and so forth. Have 4 pets above us and at times take one of their friends pets.

Then not allowed to smoke on the porch or inside the property but they do.

They dump their garbage, ashea, lrandom liquid, and so forth on their porch or off the rail. Can't even enjoy our porch now our apartment itself.

Also from previous apartment living you just keep your head low and mind your own business to stay out of trouble.

For all we know can be easy going people but just don't want to chance it.

Feel they might of been the reason for the fleas or just all the buildings have fleas possibly.

It's one of the reasons been reaching out to the PM staff about moving to a new apartment.

Last edited by RunD1987; 08-15-2021 at 06:02 PM..

Old 08-15-2021, 06:16 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,338 times
I have one dog. No other pets on my block. Everyear my dog gets fleas. People have told it is due to the sandy ground we have here in Long Island...other have told me that that I likely introduced the fleas myself since they tend to jump on people outside and are subsequently transferred inside.

Btw... your posting history suggests that you are looking to break your lease and move to another state..crying "fleas" when you have two pets is not going to get you out without penalty. Ever think that is was your pets that carried the fleas in and caused the infestation?

Old 08-15-2021, 06:33 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Everyear my dog gets fleas.

Really? That's not ok. Maybe you need to talk to your vet about a better flea treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting