Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 01:12 PM

23,361 posts, read 18,956,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Sorry about your disability but no, it's not a reasonable request if you expect the LL to spend thousands modifying his bathroom. He would have no obligation to do that under the Americans With Disabilities Act.

Even if you were willing to pay for it I think you are missing the fact that those prices of $350 and $450 are only for the tub itself. The labor cost to remove the old tub, install the new one, plumbing, drywall and tile restoration is easily $2000 to $3000 for professional installation. Would you have the cash to pay that up front?

Even if you did have the cash, would I want to go through that hassle when tenants are plentiful? Probably not.
Not to mention possibly restoring the tub to its original functionality in future. A tub modified this way could actually end up being a liability...if the subsequent tenants don't manage it carefully enough to avoid water damage to the bathroom floor. The majority of potential tenants don't want or need an accessible tub.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:13 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ196 View Post
You are talking about paying back about 3K. Cost to install and replace tub when moved. Will be hard to find a LL willing to count on that. Unless they pay up front.
But if can find they right one. I my self would maybe consider it with payments. With the bonus that this would be a good long term tenant.
I AM a Long term Tenant 13+ years long term!

Old 11-25-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not to mention possibly restoring the tub to its original functionality in future. A tub modified this way could actually end up being a liability...if the subsequent tenants don't manage it carefully enough to avoid water damage to the bathroom floor. The majority of potential tenants don't want or need an accessible tub.
No water damage to a Cement Floor

Old 11-25-2021, 03:01 PM

11,148 posts, read 9,789,597 times
I think if i were you , I'd propose doing the mod in the master bath, and leaving the main bath as a standard tub. If you pay for the new stepover in the master, I think the LL might say okay. (Disclosure: I am a LL).

Old 11-25-2021, 05:18 PM

2 bed 1 bath

Tho I have been looking at 2 bed 2 bath as new tenant I betting they would refuse.

Know what really peeves me is this complex Does have 1 Handicap apt BUT they are renting it to a Healthy 25 yr old! Hes been in it 3 yrs since the org tenant died he Has requested a reg apt they Refuse to transfer him. Yes they have empty 1 bedroom apts!

Old 11-25-2021, 06:07 PM

32,674 posts, read 48,152,369 times
Didn't your landlord give you notice to move out?

A landlord must allow a reasonable accomodation, but the tenant must pay for it, have it professionally installed with proper permits, and then return the dwelling to the original condition at the tenant's expense.

I'm not so sure that ripping out the bathtub and replacing it with a handicapped shower is going to be considered a reasonable accomodation. Reasonable accomodation is things like handrails, wheelchair ramps, and deaf doorbells. Not major renovations.

But, you can always ask. If they don't want you to do it, they will say no.

I suspect that 2 grand is extremely low for an estimate of cost. It's going to cost more than that, times two because you have to put it back. And what do you plan to do for a bathroom for the week or so that your plumbing is torn up?

Old 11-25-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Didn't your landlord give you notice to move out?

A landlord must allow a reasonable accomodation, but the tenant must pay for it, have it professionally installed with proper permits, and then return the dwelling to the original condition at the tenant's expense.

I'm not so sure that ripping out the bathtub and replacing it with a handicapped shower is going to be considered a reasonable accomodation. Reasonable accomodation is things like handrails, wheelchair ramps, and deaf doorbells. Not major renovations.

But, you can always ask. If they don't want you to do it, they will say no.

I suspect that 2 grand is extremely low for an estimate of cost. It's going to cost more than that, times two because you have to put it back. And what do you plan to do for a bathroom for the week or so that your plumbing is torn up?
Apt Mgr did But her Boss said No so I am here to stay. But that & the Gym closing had me looking into housing... or I should say Handicap Apt. Finding out there is None ...see Builders get around that by having Handicap Accessibility apts. The few I have found have long wait lists... To get them someone has to die or go into nursing home!

Not Ripping up anything just lowering the side of the tub. I do know that this summer they replace a Whole tub. They got the replacement a Lowes took 2 hours to take out the broken tub & put in the new.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:09 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,041,486 times
You can make a Request for a Reasonable Accommodation under the Fair Housing & Amendments Act (note ADA only applies to government housing or where government funds are used to pay the rent) and the landlord is required make a determination on your Request.

In evaluating a RRA like this, the landlord must first determine if the RRA is a universally accepted improvement or if it's special to the tenant. A universal improvement would be installing a bath grab bar, replacing fixture knobs with handles or any other improvement that would benefit tenants as a whole. A targeted improvement would be installing a curb-less shower, replacing fixture handles with foot control pedals, or installing a tub to shower walk-in cut conversion.

Universal improvements are to be paid for by the tenants but landlords often will cost share or even foot the entire cost if it improves future rental ability. If an improvement is targeted, landlords have the right to refuse unless the tenant pays the entire cost of the improvement equipment, installation by a licensed contractor, and the cost of returning the unit to it's original condition upon move out.

What you're asking is specific to you and your needs and probably would have a detrimental impact on future rental ability. As such, if a Request like that was made to us, it would be denied. It's just too specific and problematic. Now, that doesn't mean you can't seek some form of Accommodation such as asking if they would agree to a tub-to-shower replacement. We have found many tenants actually prefer walk-in showers to tub/shower combinations or tubs alone.

Old 11-26-2021, 06:05 PM

Rabrrita Since I am section 8 I qualify both FHA & ADA. "or installing a tub to shower walk-in cut conversion." That is what I am talking about! With the insert that converts it back to a Tub! "We have found many tenants actually prefer walk-in showers to tub/shower combinations or tubs alone." Not enough space so this is out.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:19 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,041,486 times
Those tub cut-away systems are not actual tub-to-shower conversions. Tub-to-Shower conversions is the removal of the tub and replacing it with a standard walk-in shower or an ADA approved barrier free shower. Because the through the tub modifications are prone to initial installation and future maintenance issues, I doubt DOJ or HUD would ever force a landlord to install one for a tenant. I have never seen any documentation on those units as being ADA compliant as a mandated requirement. A landlord can use them to satisfy an FHA or ADA need but not as a unit that can be forced on a landlord.

Now, that does not mean you can't force the landlord to approve the us of them. You can force them to accept it if you are willing to pay the cost of the equipment, the cost of a licensed contractor to install it, cost of any maintenance/repairs during your stay and the cost to return the unit to prior condition. In those cases, DOJ and HUD could consider it an improper refusal as there is no downside to the landlord. You also have the option of the tub being removed with a packaged walk-in tub being installed. Those packaged walk-in tub single manufactured units are ADA approved (although landlords are not being forced to install them due to high cost).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting