Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2022, 05:12 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,381,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You’ve been in this complex for 13 years, no?
Yes Kim 3.5 years in a 1 bedroom & 10+ in the current 2 bedroom. Not this complex but another they have 2 - 2-bedroom Handicap apts with Wait list of 18 families ahead of us. HUD apts we moved from has 2- 2-bedroom handicap apts their list is 24 families ahead of us. 16 other apt complexes are Ansible BUT Not handicap with showers & lowered kitchens. The rest I not eligible for so no clue... they don't go by income nor except section 8.

Old 02-21-2022, 05:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,085,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Yes Kim 3.5 years in a 1 bedroom & 10+ in the current 2 bedroom. Not this complex but another they have 2 - 2-bedroom Handicap apts with Wait list of 18 families ahead of us. HUD apts we moved from has 2- 2-bedroom handicap apts their list is 24 families ahead of us. 16 other apt complexes are Ansible BUT Not handicap with showers & lowered kitchens. The rest I not eligible for so no clue... they don't go by income nor except section 8.

My reason for asking that question Katie, was because I don’t understand why you haven’t been on a waiting list all this time. I totally understand what you’re saying about the waitlist… What I don’t understand, is why you are just now, in 2022, asking for a full handicap bathroom, when it’s obvious you’ve needed it a long time ago

You’re telling us that you have to go to a gym to take a shower, which I find appalling, because you can’t get into your bathtub. Now you’re telling us the gym is closed. How are you currently bathing? And for how long have you been going to the gym and using their showers?

See that’s what I don’t understand… You’ve been handicapped/disabled for how long? The minute you had that diagnosis/Confirmation, you should’ve been on every list you could find. You know waiting lists for housing is long, and it’s even longer for senior/handicap housing, and you also knew your condition was going to deteriorate, but hindsight always 2020. You really do need an advocate Katie

You said something yesterday about not being able to move in until the end of March? And that you wanted the bathroom renovated before you moved in… Do you really think that’s a possibility? And if this is coming out of your pocket, you need to be getting a hold of the contractors so they can arrange this project with the property manager/owner.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:22 AM

The guys is being evicted for non-payment of rent in this state LL has to hold his things to give him time to move them for 30 days... that Ends March 7th. In the meantime, the Apt mgr is going Up her chain of command to get the tub done. Then I suspect they will contact the Owner. They have to remove his things Clean Paint repair the apt & get the tub converted. Right now, we only have 1 Maintenace worker for 4 Apt complexes. He is part time. I started the paperwork at HUD office for their transfer. & HUD will be inspecting the apt Before they ok it for us to move in.

Old 02-21-2022, 05:06 PM

178 posts, read 83,127 times
Quote:
I AM a Long term Tenant 13+ years long term!

Does not make a difference. Bathtubs will last a lot longer than that.

But does make more sense for you to pay. Since if still long term would get your moneys worth.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim in fl View Post
my reason for asking that question katie, was because i don’t understand why you haven’t been on a waiting list all this time. I totally understand what you’re saying about the waitlist… what i don’t understand, is why you are just now, in 2022, asking for a full handicap bathroom, when it’s obvious you’ve needed it a long time ago

***i have been on the handicap apt lists since the pool closed in october. Having learned while it was closed the year before do to covid. Bathing had gotten hard for me to do.***

you’re telling us that you have to go to a gym to take a shower, which i find appalling, because you can’t get into your bathtub. Now you’re telling us the gym is closed. How are you currently bathing? And for how long have you been going to the gym and using their showers?

***i go to the pool or did for exercising since i can't use the land equipment. Rule is shower before you get into the pool. All showers since it a hospital are handicap. ***

see that’s what i don’t understand… you’ve been handicapped/disabled for how long? The minute you had that diagnosis/confirmation, you should’ve been on every list you could find. You know waiting lists for housing is long, and it’s even longer for senior/handicap housing, and you also knew your condition was going to deteriorate, but hindsight always 2020. You really do need an advocate katie

you said something yesterday about not being able to move in until the end of march? And that you wanted the bathroom renovated before you moved in… do you really think that’s a possibility? And if this is coming out of your pocket, you need to be getting a hold of the contractors so they can arrange this project with the property manager/owner.

***mgr. & i talked today i asked about just having a handicap shower installed, she going to look into both.
I also talked to the va they might buy the shower. Just batting ideas around have not got the approval on anything yet. ***
*** me op***

Old 02-23-2022, 05:57 AM

Quote:
*** me op***

Well, I hope this ends favorably for you.

I still can’t understand why you waited until Oct 21 to get on a list… a list that you know is years long. I’m sure getting documentation from your dr, on your conditions and long-term expectations of your disability, isn’t an issue

Ok, so you use their shower to bathe before and after swimming, that I understand; we have to do that at ours too. But, what I don’t understand, is you made it sound like you have no choice but to shower at the gym And have to make daily trips in order to take care of your daily bathing. I’m assuming your son can use the tub shower combo without issue?

This is where I’m really confused… You don’t have approval to do renovations in either unit, but you are ready to move to a much smaller unit, with your adult son, and give up your privacy and private room. I personally wouldn’t make that move unless it was advantageous to me.

What is the actual advantage of moving to that smaller unit? The end result in either unit is the same… You're pay for a shower that you can actually use. Good luck getting the VA to pay for your shower.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:37 AM

Never knew I had no choice until Covid closed the pool. I just waited it out til it reopened. Then The Bomb hit when they announced the pool Whole Gym closing. I was hoping we as members could get the CEO to change his mind. But that did not happen... sad thing is it Still sitting there Empty. Was supposed to be turned into Drs offices!
Just before gym closed in Mid Sept, I tore the ACL in my knee but unknown to me how bad until Dec 9th when I had an MRI done! Until then I thought I sprained it. The Drs are talking about Knee replacement, But I won't see my Endocrinology Dr until March. Once I see her then I decide.

Last edited by Katie1; 02-23-2022 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-26-2022, 05:36 AM

15,446 posts, read 25,884,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not understanding why some w/a special need(s) doesn't look into somewhere that is set up for their need(s).
I can answer that. It is incredibly hard to find one that is already set-up for a persons needs. When you do fine one, the waiting list is, as noted, years long. They say two years, usually, but that’s for the next person in line. They don’t tell you how many are signed up before you. They say that they will notify you, but never seem to try.

The better, but not easier, thing to do is find a landlord who will pay for modifications like a roll-in shower, or bars for the bathroom. Most won’t, but I did luck out once and found one who install bars for me at no charge.

I hope itt is clear that is way harder than you think it is to find and accessible home.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I can answer that. It is incredibly hard to find one that is already set-up for a persons needs. When you do fine one, the waiting list is, as noted, years long. They say two years, usually, but that’s for the next person in line. They don’t tell you how many are signed up before you. They say that they will notify you, but never seem to try.

The better, but not easier, thing to do is find a landlord who will pay for modifications like a roll-in shower, or bars for the bathroom. Most won’t, but I did luck out once and found one who install bars for me at no charge.

I hope itt is clear that is way harder than you think it is to find and accessible home.
You know what’s one thing to ask your landlord to put safety bars in your bathroom and another to ask him to totally renovate the bathroom.

If you need a bathroom renovated because your handicap, then that cost should come out of your pocket. Your landlord should not pay for that nor should he be forced to except the renovations if he doesn’t agree with it.

The long waiting list is why I asked Katie why she hasn’t been on a housing list already. She new her condition was/is going to deteriorate… she doesn’t have time for a waiting list and now she’s moving to a very small unit and will be sleeping in the dining room and doesn’t know when, or if, she gets the new bathroom

Old 02-26-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You know what’s one thing to ask your landlord to put safety bars in your bathroom and another to ask him to totally renovate the bathroom.

If you need a bathroom renovated because your handicap, then that cost should come out of your pocket. Your landlord should not pay for that nor should he be forced to except the renovations if he doesn’t agree with it.

The long waiting list is why I asked Katie why she hasn’t been on a housing list already. She new her condition was/is going to deteriorate… she doesn’t have time for a waiting list and now she’s moving to a very small unit and will be sleeping in the dining room and doesn’t know when, or if, she gets the new bathroom
Gee I was supposed to know that they were going to permantly Close the Gym. I was supposed to know I was going to hurt the same knee I hurt in 1990. Now I suppose to know that The Builders Did Not Truely make the Only Handicap Apt Handicap!! Sorry Kim I Could NOT see the Future to Predict these events Several Years in Advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting