Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 02:53 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,345,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No one cares if the doors are wider. However, at the original point of building a house, wider doorways are a very large added expense. There is not really any reason to make every door in every house wheelchair accessible to pay all that extra money when it is very unlikely that anyone in a wheelchair will ever live there.

Most houses would need a wheel chair ramp and don't have ground level doors. Ground level doors tend to allow rain water to enter. Doors have sills for a reason. Wheelchair ramps tend to be unsightly and hard on the landscaping, so if a person needs one installed, it is very likely to be removed after that person leaves and no one needs the ramp any more.

One of the houses I bought was set up for a deaf person. It had bright flashing lights and loud sirens. Believe me, no one would want to live with those modifications if they didn't need them. So, no deaf tenants came forward to rent the house and I removed all of the modifications.

You make a huge and incorrect assumption that all handicapped modifications are there for wheel chair access. But even for wheel chair access, normal walking people don't want to be bending over to use low kitchen counters and a bathroom sink that is only knee high. So no, all of those modifications are not fine to leave in place for all of the non-handicapped tenants.
Those lower cabinets and counter can be a pain in the back if you are healthy & Tall! Thats why 20+ years ago we gave up the handicap apt moved into reg apt and I used shower chair.

Also think that's why the guy that was in this 1 bedroom wanted a reg apt at 6' 2" I believe he was in pain using the kitchen!

Old 03-11-2022, 04:54 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,852,608 times
Quote:
No one cares if the doors are wider. However, at the original point of building a house, wider doorways are a very large added expense. There is not really any reason to make every door in every house wheelchair accessible to pay all that extra money when it is very unlikely that anyone in a wheelchair will ever live there.

Most houses would need a wheel chair ramp and don't have ground level doors. Ground level doors tend to allow rain water to enter. Doors have sills for a reason. Wheelchair ramps tend to be unsightly and hard on the landscaping, so if a person needs one installed, it is very likely to be removed after that person leaves and no one needs the ramp any more.

One of the houses I bought was set up for a deaf person. It had bright flashing lights and loud sirens. Believe me, no one would want to live with those modifications if they didn't need them. So, no deaf tenants came forward to rent the house and I removed all of the modifications.

You make a huge and incorrect assumption that all handicapped modifications are there for wheel chair access. But even for wheel chair access, normal walking people don't want to be bending over to use low kitchen counters and a bathroom sink that is only knee high. So no, all of those modifications are not fine to leave in place for all of the non-handicapped tenants.
I am not making any such assumptions as you think. I have multiple disabilities, including being deaf and using a wheelchair. Those are not the only ones I have. I understand what you are saying but I’m not sure you got what I said. I was talking about a place that has SOME modifications that everyone can use, whether disabled or not. I understand clearly that some modifications are highly specific to an individuals need. I understand those could not be left as is. Wider doors are not more expensive when built that way to start. Etc….

I get the feeling that this discussion will never make any difference.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:08 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,852,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No one said there’s anything wrong with renting a handicap accessible unit to an able-bodied person. Wide doorways and wide hallways are found in most custom homes and not just handicap accessible homes.

As long as that person is OK with wheelchair accessible showers, lower cabinets and counters in the kitchen/bathroom and wheel up sinks (or whatever renovations have been made outside of wide doorways and wide hallways). But what percent of the able bodied rental market do you think is going to be OK with that long term? I would only rent a place like that if I was desperate and I would be moving at the end of the lease.

I’m in the must have a large tub camp.. it is most certainly a deal breaker for me.
I don’t know the percentages. I know some able-bodied people who rent, or bought, accessible homes. The modifications do not bother them, and it’s possible to go over and visit them on occasion. I do get that some people wouldn’t want those mods. They were only an example. I can see some here are fixated on lowered counter and sinks. We can forget those if you want. The point was that my semi-accessible apartment is nearly identical the apartments on the floors above. This apartment needs more mods to be fully accessible. We can’t afford it, like the OP. We make do, but it is a big problem. Wherever, and whenever, we look for something better, there is nothing available, anywhere. There is a market for it.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:30 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,057,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don’t know the percentages. I know some able-bodied people who rent, or bought, accessible homes. The modifications do not bother them, and it’s possible to go over and visit them on occasion. I do get that some people wouldn’t want those mods. They were only an example. I can see some here are fixated on lowered counter and sinks. We can forget those if you want. The point was that my semi-accessible apartment is nearly identical the apartments on the floors above. This apartment needs more mods to be fully accessible. We can’t afford it, like the OP. We make do, but it is a big problem. Wherever, and whenever, we look for something better, there is nothing available, anywhere. There is a market for it.
What kind of modifications are in the homes/units that they bought or rented? No able-bodied person is going to want to live in a fully handicapped accessible unit unless they have to. No one is fixated on the lower counters, cupboards and sinks, but they’re part of a fully accessible unit, no?

There is not a market for fully accessible units because there is not a demand for fully accessible units.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying there isn’t a need for full accessible housing, there is. But it’s about supply and demand. The demand for those homes is low, so the supply is going to be low.

The demand for standard housing, for the lack of a better term, is it much higher… and that inventory is having a hard time meeting the demand in the current market. Homes are literally being sold within hours of listings.

Now let’s throw in the curveball of affordable/low income housing for both able-bodied/disabled/handicapped people. That’s where the real issue seems to be, but the principle remains the same. The percentage of handicap/disabled people looking for affordable/low income housing is still a minority compared to able-bodied adult/families trying to find the same. Unfortunately, landlords that specialize in this kind of housing, are generally just looking for a monthly rental check. They don’t care about accommodations or modifications, and they certainly are not going to do them out of their pocket

And to stay on topic, no, it is not an unreasonable request to ask your landlord, be it section 8/low income housing/government housing/middle class/upper middle class rental etc. for a bathroom modification to make your life a little bit easier. The unreasonable part is expecting your landlord to pay for it. Again, Katie, I am not referring to you personally.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:01 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Around here when a Handicap apt is rented to a Non-handicap person they move them into a non-handicap apt as soon as one comes available.
Who says the landlord HAS to? Is there some LEGAL requirement in your area? Link, please? (I'm genuinely interested because I have a disabled brother.)

Old 03-11-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Who says the landlord HAS to? Is there some LEGAL requirement in your area? Link, please? (I'm genuinely interested because I have a disabled brother.)
I don't know if its a Law. I do know its done by most Apt Mrg.

IF your brother is on SSD or 55 years or older he qualifies for those senior living communities. THO IF he's married & his spose Doesn't qualify Or he has kids he Cant move into them. Thats our problem. I qualify my son doesn't. Why we are Section 8 & get to enjoy these lovely upper mid-class apts. Son has people his age he can talk to. There are even Families living in here.

Old 03-11-2022, 10:43 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I don't know if its a Law. I do know its done by most Apt Mrg.

IF your brother is on SSD or 55 years or older he qualifies for those senior living communities. THO IF he's married & his spose Doesn't qualify Or he has kids he Cant move into them. Thats our problem. I qualify my son doesn't. Why we are Section 8 & get to enjoy these lovely upper mid-class apts. Son has people his age he can talk to. There are even Families living in here.
Actually, IIRC, if your son is classified as your caretaker, you and he CAN move into "those senior living communities."

Old 03-11-2022, 11:32 AM

32,678 posts, read 48,175,275 times
Quote:

There is absolutely no legal requirement anywhere to move able bodied persons out of handicapped accessible rentals. Maybe an individual management company might have that as a policy, although it would make renting that handicapped unit most difficult if everyone who looked at it was told they would have to move out immediately as soon as there was a different apartment for them. Very few people want temporary quarters. Moving is too much trouble. It is also an huge hassle for the landlord to change tenants.

If there really are long waiting lists for handicapped units why would the management put an able bodied person in that unit, anyway? Why wouldn't they call the people on their waiting list and give the apartment to one of them?

jkgourmet, your brother can get onto waiting lists, and your brother can also look for units that come closest to being suitable and see about getting a "reasonable accommodation" (some modifications). If the money to pay for the remodel is an issue, sometimes you can find a charity, or a church, or even a boy scout troop that will install the accommodations.

What I do when anyone calls and is looking for special accommodations is to invite them to come and look at the house and see if they can make it work for them. Actually, looking back, not one of those people ever showed up to take a look. So if you actively pursue the quest for handicapped accessible accommodation, you wont have much competition because the majority of people who want that housing won't bestir themselves to make even the slightest effort.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Actually, IIRC, if your son is classified as your caretaker, you and he CAN move into "those senior living communities."
He is Family, Family cant be Paid.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:22 PM

No one cares if the doors are wider.

All the newer Apt buildings have these wider doors Even the upstairs apts. And from what I seen Everyone Loves them! No worries IF they can move Furniture in/out! Yes, they Do Care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting