Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 01:14 PM

15,475 posts, read 25,949,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
What kind of modifications are in the homes/units that they bought or rented? No able-bodied person is going to want to live in a fully handicapped accessible unit unless they have to. No one is fixated on the lower counters, cupboards and sinks, but they’re part of a fully accessible unit, no?

There is not a market for fully accessible units because there is not a demand for fully accessible units.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying there isn’t a need for full accessible housing, there is. But it’s about supply and demand. The demand for those homes is low, so the supply is going to be low.

The demand for standard housing, for the lack of a better term, is it much higher… and that inventory is having a hard time meeting the demand in the current market. Homes are literally being sold within hours of listings.

Now let’s throw in the curveball of affordable/low income housing for both able-bodied/disabled/handicapped people. That’s where the real issue seems to be, but the principle remains the same. The percentage of handicap/disabled people looking for affordable/low income housing is still a minority compared to able-bodied adult/families trying to find the same. Unfortunately, landlords that specialize in this kind of housing, are generally just looking for a monthly rental check. They don’t care about accommodations or modifications, and they certainly are not going to do them out of their pocket

And to stay on topic, no, it is not an unreasonable request to ask your landlord, be it section 8/low income housing/government housing/middle class/upper middle class rental etc. for a bathroom modification to make your life a little bit easier. The unreasonable part is expecting your landlord to pay for it. Again, Katie, I am not referring to you personally.
I would say that the demand is high, but the ability to pay is low. That is where the problem really is. The market has very little available that meets that need. Without some kind of help it will always be that way.

You were talking about fully accessible units while I was not. That part of the conversation is going nowhere.

I have no disagreement with the last paragraph.

Old 03-11-2022, 02:07 PM

13,941 posts, read 39,464,389 times
Quote:
What kind of modifications are in the homes/units that they bought or rented? No able-bodied person is going to want to live in a fully handicapped accessible unit unless they have to. No one is fixated on the lower counters, cupboards and sinks, but they’re part of a fully accessible unit, no?

There is not a market for fully accessible units because there is not a demand for fully accessible units.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying there isn’t a need for full accessible housing, there is. But it’s about supply and demand. The demand for those homes is low, so the supply is going to be low.

The demand for standard housing, for the lack of a better term, is it much higher… and that inventory is having a hard time meeting the demand in the current market. Homes are literally being sold within hours of listings.

Now let’s throw in the curveball of affordable/low income housing for both able-bodied/disabled/handicapped people. That’s where the real issue seems to be, but the principle remains the same. The percentage of handicap/disabled people looking for affordable/low income housing is still a minority compared to able-bodied adult/families trying to find the same. Unfortunately, landlords that specialize in this kind of housing, are generally just looking for a monthly rental check. They don’t care about accommodations or modifications, and they certainly are not going to do them out of their pocket

And to stay on topic, no, it is not an unreasonable request to ask your landlord, be it section 8/low income housing/government housing/middle class/upper middle class rental etc. for a bathroom modification to make your life a little bit easier. The unreasonable part is expecting your landlord to pay for it. Again, Katie, I am not referring to you personally.
How Many Times have I Stated I Would be PAYING, LOTS so give it a BREAK KIM!

Old 03-11-2022, 03:49 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,146,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
How Many Times have I Stated I Would be PAYING, LOTS so give it a BREAK KIM!

Another perfect example of you not reading or comprehending the written word. Your name was not mentioned nor was it implied. Give ME a break.

Fyi: $1000 is not “lots”.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Another perfect example of you not reading or comprehending the written word. Your name was not mentioned nor was it implied. Give ME a break.

My Name was mentioned so STOP LYING!
On the Very FIRST PAGE I said I was BUYING!

Old 03-11-2022, 04:14 PM

19,470 posts, read 28,044,695 times
Quote:
He is Family, Family cant be Paid.
1. I have no freaking idea where you get the idea that "family can't be paid." Of course they can. Happens all the time.

2. Getting paid isn't the requirement of "caregiver." You're flat-out wrong. After I did some research, I haven't been able to find one 55+ that wouldn't allow a younger caregiver, even if that caregiver is an unpaid family member.

Katie, enjoy your drama. In many instances, YOU are the one who is creating your own problems.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:19 PM

19,470 posts, read 28,044,695 times
Quote:
In fairness, Kim, $1,000 absolutely is a lot of money for plenty of people.

But I thought Katie had to pay for the bathtub renovation necessary for her, then pay to put it back when she leaves. Now that's gonna be "lots" of money (which brings back my earlier question).

Old 03-11-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
1. I have no freaking idea where you get the idea that "family can't be paid." Of course they can. Happens all the time.

2. Getting paid isn't the requirement of "caregiver." You're flat-out wrong. After I did some research, I haven't been able to find one 55+ that wouldn't allow a younger caregiver, even if that caregiver is an unpaid family member.

Katie, enjoy your drama. In many instances, YOU are the one who is creating your own problems.
I all ready ask the HUD office in my area & we were turned down. That was Months ago Before I even started this thread. IF this is Drama its not on me!

Old 03-11-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:

But I thought Katie had to pay for the bathtub renovation necessary for her, then pay to put it back when she leaves. Now that's gonna be "lots" of money (which brings back my earlier question).
That $1000 was to cover cost of the kit & install. Since it IS a Handicap apt there will be No Charge to put it back. What my Apt Mgr told me. Now Fast forward to Yesterday Since it IS a handicap apt & more room in the bathroom the installer wants to look at it. More room less cost. So now looking at Less than the $1000 And when the installer comes I & the apt mgr will meet him. So I wont get the cost 2nd hand so to speak.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
My Name was mentioned so STOP LYING!
On the Very FIRST PAGE I said I was BUYING!
Katie, I really think you do have comprehension problem. In my post that you quoted, did I mention your name? Did I say you expected your landlord to pay for the renovation anywhere in this thread? No, I did not. Please stop making yourself a victim.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Yes, but it’s not lots in regards to a bathroom redo. Katie said, more than once, that this tub redo is only going to cost her $1000 and I’m not buying it. Yes, I agree she’s going to pay for it twice.. or at least she should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting