Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 05:41 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
See an attorney, ASAP
Yup… that’s really her only option. She should call the police about his behavior and ask their advice. They will not kick him out.. she has to do that through the courts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 08:14 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I’m not offering him cash nor am I paying for a hotel etc. I simply do not have the money to do so.I will pay the courts though

He only gave me $70 last Friday( when I asked).
He has been here since September.

That’s the whole truth.
The goal in giving them cash to leave is that sometimes you can get what you want sooner than waiting for a court, And sometimes it avoids a lot of drama and potential damage from a more forceful and punitive eviction process. This is especially true when we’re talking about your own personal residence and your own personal safety and peace.

It’s just an idea. And we certainly do not yet know the whole story. We haven’t talked about how long your daughter has been there or what your relationship with her has been. And I think it matters. I’ll agree with everyone else who says you need to go to an attorney who knows how to ask you the right questions and give you the best advice for your situation and your local laws.

Old 03-22-2022, 09:54 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
See an attorney immediately but I agree with the others, if you can bribe them to get them out, do it, it's probably much faster.

Had a similar situation for 5 days. Daughter broke up with her loser boyfriend and moved back home, he was broke and had nowhere to go, no family in this state, we let him stay here. He made no plans to leave so I sold him our daughter's beater car for $1 as soon as he could prove he could get insurance on it. Good riddance, well worth it.

There is no way I'm letting someone I don't like move into my home long term.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:18 AM

32,651 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
........I thought that since he does not pay anything that he was more of a squatter rather than a tenant..........

He moved into your house with an invitation from a legal resident and he has been allowed to stay. Rent or not, he is not a squatter.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:23 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
He threatened to have you beaten up.

Call the police IMMEDIATELY.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:35 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Go to a real estate attorney and have a process server serve the two of them with a legal 30 day notice. If they won't leave, eventually Marshalls will remove them from the premises. Don't speak to them. If they threaten you contact the police.
Quote:
My daughter(20) has had her male 23 yr old friend over since Sept. At the end of Sept,i told her if he wanted to continue to stay he has to take out the garbage and also shovel if needed. Fast forward to February,he never shoveled when it snowed Also,when I come home in the morning at 7:30am,the garbage is till not dragged to the curb. So i knock and they never answer. I just started opening the door and telling them about it. The garbage truck in this area only comes 1x a week,and if i miss that then i have to wait for the next week. Recycles are every 2 weeks. This guy has been smoking marijuana outside around my home,my daughter lets him drive her car, and he has been bringing his 2 yr old to spend the night without my permission or knowledge. He also never speaks to me when he sees me,which is daily.
I got tired of always asking them to take out the garbage so I told her if he wants to continue living here he needs to give me $100 a month. Well,yesterday was the last straw. He told me he wont drag out the garbage and pay me $100 a month. He also only gave me $70 instead of the $100. I told him he needed to leave now. He told me to write up a 30 day notice then he would leave. He cursed at me and threatened to get his mother to beat me up because i told him he isnt my responsibility and i dont care what happens to him after he leaves my home. I want him OUT NOW. He was after all getting a good deal. Where else can you live for $100 and taking out garbage in NJ?

My question: I never gave him an official written lease, so what do I write? A vacate the premises notarized letter? Do i take it to the courts? Is he considered a squatter at this point since when i asked him to leave he stated no? Please help,I do not feel safe in my own home. I do not want to choose violence since I have a professional career license to protect.
The only silver lining in this is he buys his own food. He works but I am not sure how many hours since he never tells me anything. My daughter is totally on his side. She thinks i am being mean to him no matter how many times i tell her I can do what i want and have who i want in my own home.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:57 AM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
I tried to discuss with her to no avail. She is always going to be on his side.
So the key is to kick both out.

I never gave either one keys to the house. I’m the only one with keys to my home.
How do they come and go without keys?

Old 03-23-2022, 07:14 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
How do they come and go without keys?
I come and go through my garage with no keys, I would have to actually look for one if I needed it.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:27 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
is there a mortgage?may be default on your mortgage and all 3 of you would have to leave/
or sell your house/or rent it and you move elswhere
or make life so miserable they have to leave,play loud music while they sleep,raise doberman dogs

Old 03-23-2022, 07:39 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
What a dirtbag. Good luck OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting