Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 07:59 PM

508 posts, read 526,661 times

Advertisements

Noise disturbance from my rented apartment neighbors?
=========================================

Thanks for your replies to my thread.

I am living in apartment (rented) community for a while in Maryland. Our peaceful living is challenged by my apartment neighbors.

I find car alarm going off 1AM - 3AM bothering our night sleep causing sleep deprivation, that impact our health. Folks in our units goes in and out frequently and slam the main door with loud noise. This is happening in middle of the night. Folks using laundry do the same with slamming laudatory door with loud noise.

We added additional noise disturbances (thuds and crackling) as recorded files, which are coming from our roof by Apt ???? in their floor/living area. These noises are happening several times a day.

Many residents are also not being gentle with handling their front door, the laundry room door, and the main building (glass) door. They are going in and out many times and are slamming the door, which we can hear in our apartment.

I find that many people who coming into our building to deliver food are able to handle the doors gently without slamming it.

Many people are also making their car alarm go off at 2AM, 3AM and 4 AM, and are slamming their car doors as well. This is disturbing our sleep, but we were not able to record this disturbance.

We recorded these noise and submitted our complaint to property manager.

Here is what we got from them:

Quote:
We received your complaint and attached WAV files
The noises you submitted are normal in communal living
There is nothing for management to address at this time
What are the other steps to consider apart from moving out.

Thanks for your sharing/guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 08:09 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
The property manager is right. I've lived a lot in apartments in cities, I expected all that you mentioned and more, such as parties, wailing babies, and loud physical love making sessions. It's part of living in an apartment. You will not change it.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:24 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times
OP, I feel your pain. I am very sorry to hear about this. Some neighbours have no consideration for anyone else. They are selfish b*st*rds.

Re the motor alarm going off at all hours. You CAN report this to police. They should have an officer go out to speak to your neighbours. This is disturbing the peace of the whole block if not beyond. As for the slamming of doors, etc., all you can do about that is to ask your neighbours if they could be more mindful. They may not even think about what they are doing. Thoughtless people never think about how their actions effect others.

Ultimately, if this continues long enough, if they stay longer than you can bear, you may end up being the one who has to move. I am very sorry. I hope this can work out for you so that you are not forced to move. Please keep us posted. Good luck.

Old 12-08-2022, 03:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post
What are the other steps to consider apart from moving out.
To accomplish what? Change human nature?

Quote:
Thanks for your sharing/guidance.
Okay. Find another place. Start packing.
Be ready to pack up a truck on minimal notice.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:20 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
MAYBE you can do something about car alarms. All the rest, you're probably stuck with.

This kind of thing is one of the key reasons I've sworn never to share walls again till they cart me off to the nursing home, if I can possibly avoid it.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
To accomplish what? Change human nature?

Okay. Find another place. Start packing.
Be ready to pack up a truck on minimal notice.
That is not a helpful suggestion is it? I just moved, and it cost me several thousand dollars in the end and four months worth of stress trying to find another rental. This is not even counting the physical labour and emotional pain and suffering that went hand in hand with all of it.

In the end, moving may be the only thing left that a good tenant can do, but suggesting it so blithely as though it were such an obvious, easy, and practical solution is not helpful at all.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:52 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
That is not a helpful suggestion is it? I just moved, and it cost me several thousand dollars in the end and four months worth of stress trying to find another rental. This is not even counting the physical labour and emotional pain and suffering that went hand in hand with all of it.

In the end, moving may be the only thing left that a good tenant can do, but suggesting it so blithely as though it were such an obvious, easy, and practical solution is not helpful at all.
It's the only real suggestion. Other than learn to live with it as it is a part of apartment life in an urban area.

Old 12-08-2022, 01:31 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
It may not be "helpful" in the sense of "how do I fix this?" but the truth is there's no fixing thumpers, door slammers, and car alarms. It's like keeping teenagers from having sex by telling them not to. You can nag the thumpers upstairs 24/7 and they'll still stomp around like they're trying to recreate Riverdance in their bedroom.

Old 12-08-2022, 02:45 PM

^^^ Yes, which just goes to show how thoughtless and selfish are many people in this world.

Old 12-08-2022, 02:58 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
^^^ Yes, which just goes to show how thoughtless and selfish are many people in this world.
not to mention how unrealistic some people's expectations about daily life in shared residences can be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting