Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 09:46 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Wouldn't call it "looking a gift horse in the mouth." No one wants to sleep on a couch, and I don't think there's anything wrong with a little grousing about that whether one is paying full freight, getting a small stipend, or being fully-funded.

It sounds like OP is working hard to improve her situation, so it might not be bad to cut her some slack. I mean, if you want to pretend your post wasn't dumping on her....
I 100% am not dumping on the OP. It certainly sounds like she is doing what it takes to better her situation. Which is the intention of these social services programs. I support the programs. What I do not support is people who use them and then complain it isn't good enough.

And, no one id forced to sleep on a sofa. Two beds could be placed in the bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 07:51 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times
I can understand OP's desire for the security that a housing voucher affords her, in case she loses her job. The problem is that most people who live on the dole behave exactly as her neighbors do. It's not a question of maintenance - what's the LL supposed to do, when the tenants who are on the dole befoul the property day after day? I have often said that the absolute best thing that all my hard years of schooling while living in poverty, and hard years of work thereafter have bought for me is a single family home in a nice quiet suburb with good schools and liberal, well-educated neighbors. You want to get away from the people who live the way she's described? Figure out a way to earn a better living, get off the dole, and provide for yourself, find better housing among others who pay for themselves, too.

OP's best option is to try to find a small time landlord who is willing to take a chance on her in a two family home. But with it just being her and her daughter, a one bedroom voucher is not going to cover this. I'm a bit surprised. In my area, Sec 8 doesn't expect adults to share a bedroom with a child. They understand that adults need privacy. In my area, Sec 8 will give each person a bedroom for all sorts of reasons (many of them bogus). But they definitely would give a mother and a child over the age of 2 yrs a 2-bedroom voucher.

Old 03-19-2023, 10:52 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
........ No one wants to sleep on a couch, ..........
There is absolutely no reason to sleep on the couch. There is no law anywhere that says you can not put a nice bed in the living room. Or get a day bed so it is dual functional. There is absolutely no reason why a person cannot sleep in the living room. If a child is born deserving a private bedroom, the child can have the bedroom and the parent can have the living room.

One bedroom and a living room, and a kitchen, and a bathroom is way more than merely adequate for two persons. The taxpayers should not have to pay for nice luxuries for welfare recipients. I don't want to see children go without housing or food, but they don't have to have middle class housing and gourmet food to grow up healthy.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:04 PM

400 posts, read 366,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yeah, I know I hate it when someone gives me something for free and it doesn't meet all of my wishes and desires.
What's being given for free? I pay over $1000 dollars for my apartment? Care to explain.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I 100% am not dumping on the OP. It certainly sounds like she is doing what it takes to better her situation. Which is the intention of these social services programs. I support the programs. What I do not support is people who use them and then complain it isn't good enough.

And, no one id forced to sleep on a sofa. Two beds could be placed in the bedroom.
Yeah, I am sure my son would enjoy that, haha.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is absolutely no reason to sleep on the couch. There is no law anywhere that says you can not put a nice bed in the living room. Or get a day bed so it is dual functional. There is absolutely no reason why a person cannot sleep in the living room. If a child is born deserving a private bedroom, the child can have the bedroom and the parent can have the living room.

One bedroom and a living room, and a kitchen, and a bathroom is way more than merely adequate for two persons. The taxpayers should not have to pay for nice luxuries for welfare recipients. I don't want to see children go without housing or food, but they don't have to have middle class housing and gourmet food to grow up healthy.
I disagree. Although I am "welfare recipient" I pay most of my own rent with the Housing Authority paying a very nominal amount. I currently work for a school district (state job) and while we do get raises, have some stability and have a pension it still considered lower income in the HCOL area. I think HUD needs to change the policy and provide vouchers according to the number of tenants in the household vs this silly 2 heartbeats rule. While it works for younger kids, not for older. I am going to see if I can get an accomodation.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:32 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
What's being given for free? I pay over $1000 dollars for my apartment? Care to explain.
The remainder of your rent is given to you for free.

Old 05-18-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
The remainder of your rent is given to you for free.
Which is a small amount, like $100 or so dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting