Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:38 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

Pitt Transplant--Your must do list looks good. I am printing it out and placing it on my refrig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 12:40 PM

917 posts, read 2,299,484 times
My husband says that brown paper bags from the grocery store carry roaches.( I guess they hide in the bottom folds of the bag?) He also says to get rid of them the best thing is to put borax in a small saucer and set a bunch around near roach places.It seems to work, as we dont have roaches and we live in the south.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:01 PM

i just put the brown lunch bags in locking plastic containers under the sink. About 80% of similar items I transferred to locking plastic containers and put them under the sink. It looks better too.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:25 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
^^^ If you freeze things for 48 hours it will kill the roaches and render the eggs dead as well. I did that to all my paper and books when I was dealing with those nasty bugs. It killed all the dust louse too. Seal it up in plastic and tape it shut before freezing.

An idea I had but never used:
Cut in 1/2 a two litter pop bottle
place glue trap inside with bread in the center
tape pop bottle back together on cut
put bottle under sink with cap off
roaches crawl in & get stuck
pour 1/2 c bleach inside the next morning to kill them (make sure its taped well)
cap it
shake it gently to cover the beasts in bleach for killing purposes
toss it

Lysol 3-1 cleaner - get that. Its cheap/cleans everything and it kills them when you spray them with it.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:47 PM

Default Another good list...

to put on my refrig!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 11:01 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Roach poop attracts more roaches as well. If you don't clean it, they'll never go away. It's most likely already in your electronics, computer, etc. If you have a strong stomach, unscrew an outlet cover and you'll see what I mean. If you have any roaches, the insides of the covers and the walls will be covered in tiny little black dots... roach poop.

When we lived in FL, we had a BAD problem that only got worse when I hired Orkin. 9 months into it, I threw a HISSY fit with the company. The tech that came out gave me the above advice (Actually, he recommended throwing them out. I had already had to toss my scanner because of a dead roach, trapped under the glass). He spent a bunch of time talking to me about it, more time than they usually spent at my place. We were standing outside, right below my kitchen window when he noticed the tree outside the window was infested. That's where they came from! He drilled a hole in the tree, treated it and the problem went away within a couple weeks. I cancelled with Orkin when the 1 year contract was over and never had another problem.

BTW... those "sonic" things? Scams! I got one as a gift and the roaches didn't migrate into the house until AFTER I plugged those things in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting