Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:06 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times

Advertisements

Last night I came home and there was water flooding out of my ceiling fan, pouring out of the kitchen light and soaking everything. A kitchen sink pipe burst in the apt above me and the neighbors weren't home. Apparently, the other pipe busted back in January and maintenance came to fix it, but didn't do anything with the other pipe. The place is falling apart every time you turn around. They are remodeling them, but only after people move out, of course.

Anyway, the water also leaked through the floor and was leaking from the ceiling downstairs, so the hallway and my bedroom carpet was soaked as well. I talked to the mgr, who didn't do anything except apologize that I had to go through it, but that it wasn't their fault. The carpet guy came 2 hours after I called maintenance and worked on the upstairs apt first, so didn't get done with mine until almost midnight. I had originally called maint at 7.

I didn't think about it last night, but I know you're supposed to put the carpet driers underneath the carpet...these are just sitting on top. It's starting to smell musty and there are bubbles in the ceiling. My 4yr old and I slept on the couch (other kids went to their father's) and I woke up this morning to more water leaking from two pouches in the ceiling. There are a couple swollen seams that were dripping as well.

This is so long...I apologize. My question to anyone who knows...what, if anything, can I get the apts to pay for or reimbursed for? Is it neglect that they didn't work on both kitchen sink pipes upstairs when the one burst in January?

I don't have renter's insurance...my dining room table and chairs are toast. But are the apts responsible if there is neglect in the case of the sink? This is such a huge inconvenience for me and I feel like the mgr could at least have come to check out the mess. It was really bad. All he would say is that it's fine to sleep there. I didn't think so. It was loud and freezing with the blowers on.

Also, I'm thinking that 7 blowers on for the next 2 or 3 days is going to cost me some power company money. I'm going to call them and ask about that. I don't think I should have to have any expenses with this at the very least. Any suggestions for any of this? I'm in Washington state. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 12:52 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Hi, Wanna. This is insanity. You're in the Seattle area, right? If I were in your shoes, I'd do two things immediately:

1 -- contact Seattle Tenants Union 3902 S. Ferdinand St., Seattle 98118 (206) 723-0500
---- or Tenants Union of Washington State hotline (206) 723-0500 (same as S.T.U.) and REPAIRS page of website:
Tenants Union of Washington State: Options for Getting Repairs
website homepage: Tenants Union of Washington State
Either group will help you quickly sort out your rights and responsibilities.

2 -- contact King County Department of Health, 10821 8th Ave. SW, Seattle 98146 (206) 296-4646

Good luck to you all!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:59 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Well you dont have insurance so you are pretty much going to have to buy new stuff yourself. He cant control the pipes breaking. It sucks..I know. I always look at the ceiling in any apartment for water leak marks to try to find the pipes before I put good things under them.(most older building have some plaster repair if you really look you can see it)

I would save your electric bills from the prior three months to compare.
Sounds like you still have a leak somewhere. Better call.
Water damage SUCKS. Sorry you have to deal with that.
(remembering my experiences..ugh..it does look very jumanji...LOL)

I would put on an electric heater that blows dry hot air to assist with trying and avoid a major mold or mildew problem.(only when home of course)

Old 07-11-2008, 02:16 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
The apartment should have to pay for the electric to run the fans. As far as your belongings go though, you are out of luck. Renter's insurance is only about $15.00/month and is well worth it. I truly do sympathize with you as I have had water pouring in on me before. It is no way fun.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:43 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times
Thanks for all the advice. I was pretty sure I was out of luck on the table (and mattresses I had on the floor in the bedroom because I sold my bed frame last week).

There's alot of leaks. I keep looking at the ceiling like its going to come down. There are smaller bubbles all over the ceiling. I moved my furniture around today to avoid them if they start dripping.

pitt_: I know he can't control that kind of thing, but these apartments have had so many issues. The wall in my girls' room caved in underneath the window awhile back. They just came to "fix" that last week...they put a big brown square board in the wall, put some plaster or something around the edges and left it like that. I had mold in my master bathroom, which is under the laundry room, and they came in and painted over it...in starch white paint when the walls are cream colored. They have a history of putting band-aids on things, which is making me wonder about the pipes too.

allforcats: Yes, I'm in Renton. Thanks for the links...I'll check them out now.

I'm moving out at the end of the month, so I really don't care if there will be mold or not. But I don't want to have to pay for anything related to this at all. But I feel like the place should be restored to how it was for the last few weeks we're there. Rent being paid already and all...

Old 07-11-2008, 05:03 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Report this to the Heath Dept, within 30days, Don't hold off on it. These Apartments should not even have been rented out because of the health violations.
Even without renters Insurance you may have some $ due to you.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:35 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Where do you get renters insurance from? Any ins. co? I am renting an apt for the first time in my life, I really didn't know this. Sounds stupid because Lord knows I have always paid homeowners ins.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:55 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Your insurance company for auto, homeowners, liability, life.... They can sell you a tenant's package which will include ins. against theft or destruction of your possessions, and liability for horrible things happening in your apartment.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:00 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Thanks!

Old 07-12-2008, 02:27 PM

522 posts, read 2,627,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Where do you get renters insurance from? Any ins. co? I am renting an apt for the first time in my life, I really didn't know this. Sounds stupid because Lord knows I have always paid homeowners ins.
We get our renters ins through state farm. It's only about 150.00 a year for us and so worth it, especially now seeing what happened to the OP. Sorry about all that wannabe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting