Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 AM

14 posts, read 127,759 times

Advertisements

I signed a lease for an apt to start rent on Aug 1 and paid $700 deposit to a private landlord. However in mid July when I went back to see the apt, I didn't like it, I can't open any of the windows because they're too high for me, I can't open the blinds because again, they're too high up for me, the toilet didn't flush right...it didn't feel right for some reason the second time around, they did fix the toilet though. I told the landlord I changed my mind and we came to the agreement that I could cancel the lease if someone else took the apt. Luckily, someone did and will start renting on Aug 1. I had shown the apt as did the landlord. Now despite the fact that there's no loss to the landlord, he refuses to return my deposit and states that in the application (which I don't have anymore), it states that if tenant is accepted and tenant changes his mind, that deposit is forfeited. Do I have any rights here? This is New York state, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 11:50 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
If the application states no refund on a deposit, then you get no refund. It's in writing and you knew it when you changed your mind. I would suggest looking at an apartment closer for the things important to you. Not being able to reach a window should have been obvious on first inspection and look through. They did fix the problem with the toilet.
It sounds like your lucky, the apartment is rented and you are not being held liable for the rent.
I call it a tough lesson learned...more a costly lesson.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:03 PM

Actually I didn't know about the deposit when I changed my mind because I didn't read the app that carefully, I thought maybe there would be some sort of administrative fee b/c that's what I see on most apps, not the entire deposit, and I've never had this experience before. As for the window, again, I've never not been able to reach a window in an apt, I think that's kind of a strange thing. I was lucky but I don't see why the LL should benefit from my luck. Maybe I don't have a legal leg to stand on, I'm not sure, but I think a reasonable person would return most if not all of the deposit considering the circumstances.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:12 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
My deposit receipts do state that no amount would be returned for any reason other than the tenancy being declined by me but if there was no loss to me I have to admit I would return it less any expenses such as extra advertising.
Do note, though, I wouldn't have to.
Depending on where you are and since some small claims court judges decide only on the fairness of a matter, you might consider filing a claim.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Your LL is absolutely within his rights. He agreed that you could get out of the LEASE, not the deposit. You were very lucky to have been able to get out of the lease. The LL incurred expenses after you decided you didn't want to move in, having to show the place again to prospective tenants, etc.

Consider yourself lucky and be more careful next time before you make a deposit on a rental property. Cheers!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:21 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddonna123 View Post
Actually I didn't know about the deposit when I changed my mind because I didn't read the app that carefully, I thought maybe there would be some sort of administrative fee b/c that's what I see on most apps, not the entire deposit, and I've never had this experience before. As for the window, again, I've never not been able to reach a window in an apt, I think that's kind of a strange thing. I was lucky but I don't see why the LL should benefit from my luck. Maybe I don't have a legal leg to stand on, I'm not sure, but I think a reasonable person would return most if not all of the deposit considering the circumstances.
I think a reasonable person would READ a legally binding document before signing and turning over $700. Oh, they would also KEEP a copy of the lease.

Sorry you lost the money, it seems an expensive lesson but some folks learn the hard way.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I would just be more careful when signing a lease next time. It's an agreement to live there; that's kind of a big deal.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 AM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
My deposit receipts do state that no amount would be returned for any reason other than the tenancy being declined by me but if there was no loss to me I have to admit I would return it less any expenses such as extra advertising.
Do note, though, I wouldn't have to.
Depending on where you are and since some small claims court judges decide only on the fairness of a matter, you might consider filing a claim.
Of course I would like to try to come to an agreement with this LL. He spent NO extra money in ads b/c his current ad was still out.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Your LL is absolutely within his rights. He agreed that you could get out of the LEASE, not the deposit. You were very lucky to have been able to get out of the lease. The LL incurred expenses after you decided you didn't want to move in, having to show the place again to prospective tenants, etc.

Consider yourself lucky and be more careful next time before you make a deposit on a rental property. Cheers!
He spent less than 3 days showing the apt b/c the new tenant agreed to take it that quickly. When he rented to me, he spent less than 2 days showing the apt b/c I called him the day his ad came out and I took the apt the next day, so he spent perhaps all of 5 days total looking for a tenant and I am the one who found the tenant and spent time showing the place as well. What expenses do you think LL incurred? $700 worth? Like I said, I was willing to give him an "administrative" fee, $100 or so? but I think $700 is excessive. I will definitely be more careful and thorough next time but I've NEVER had a problem like this before, never had any issues with LL before.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I think a reasonable person would READ a legally binding document before signing and turning over $700. Oh, they would also KEEP a copy of the lease.

Sorry you lost the money, it seems an expensive lesson but some folks learn the hard way.
Well, I thought I was going to take the apt when I applied and so of course I sent my deposit in. I kept a copy of my lease, just not my application. I think the LL is just being a greedy pig and hopefully, he'll have bad karma. I may not get it back but I'm going to try because I think I have extenuating circumstances. I do know I'll never deal with private LL again if I can help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting